Please tell me more about Netflix. If you use it, do you like it?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Our local Blockbuster closed a few months ago. Movie Gallery, which is across the street from us, is affordable, and is where we rent ALL our movies, is closing now. Which sucks because we really liked them.

We can "rent" movies on Dish Network, but we're funny because we like to use our Blu Ray player, plus I always like to watch the special features if I really like the movie.

There are a couple of "Red Boxes" nearby, but they're not comprehensive, plus you only get the movie one day. Sometimes when we rent a movie, we end up watching some of it one night, maybe finishing it the next. Then there's the special features I have to watch.

The only other choice is Netflix, unless there's another service I don't know about. I checked, Netflix charges $9 a month. Simply put, we don't rent movies that often. Maybe one a month. Usually one every two months. There isn't enough time, money, or desire to watch movies all the time. (I spend my free time writing, not renting movies or playing video games. Except for when I'm on AW, of course. :) )

How does Netflix work? If you use it, do you use it often? I know Netflix mails you the movies, but I thought they also used a set-top box. :Shrug:

I liken a video store to a bookstore. I love to browse, pick up the boxes, read the back, maybe find a movie I've never heard of and rent it. If I have Netflix, how do I make those cool discoveries? I'll have to know about the movie before I can search for it, won't I? Or just browse, but that isn't the same.

Does Netflix have a comprehensive library? Can I find just about anything?

And is it worth it?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've been a Netflix customer for almost nine years and I have to say it's one of the best services of any sort that I've ever used. We watch a couple of movies a week usually and we pay, I think, $19 a month for the three-at-a-time package (which includes a $4 charge for upgrading any of our selections to Blu-Ray where applicable.) We run two separate queues - one for us (2 of the 3 selections) and 1 for the children.

What you do is make a list of all the movies you'd like to see. (We even add to the list when something comes into theatres that we know we won't make it out to see, but still want to watch when it comes out on DVD.) Netflix mails the top two selections from our queue and the top selection from the girls' queue.

When you've watched the film, you just put it back in its envelope, stick it in the mailbox, and in two to three days, you get the next movie on your list. You can keep the films for as long as you like (we had 'Citizen Kane' for three months) and there are no late fees.

I love Netflix.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
My household has used it for several years and we love it.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love it, too. I've sometimes held movies for a month or two with no repercussion from them. They're also great about replacing items that have been destroyed in the mail (there was a time I was going through a 9-disk series and the 9th disk arrived broken twice. Each time it arrived broken, they'd replaced it with no questions).

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
I love to watch Netflix movies on my computer, and the list of titles available to watch instantly grows all the time. Hubby bought a Roku box so we can instantly download from netflix and amazon and watch on the tv. We rarely buy dvd's anymore.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We love it. If you only rent one movie a month then it might not be worth it for you. When we signed up, we had three teenagers in the house, and we'd spend $25 to $30 every weekend renting movies from the local rental store. $25/month for four movies at a time is a bargain. Even though we live in the hinterlands, if the old movies went out with Tuesday's mail we'd get the new ones by Friday night. We have only twice gotten damaged/unplyable movies, one of which was chewed up by the post office.

Only three downsides: it's harder to browse for something completely new, delayed gratification, and the kids get on and push all my movies down the list.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Love Netflix. I have the two-out-at-a-time plan and there's a processing center right here so I get the DVDs very quickly. It's a great saving. They also rent Blu-Ray discs.

But what I love is the Instant Watch. I can watch it on my Tivo or computer (wherever I am with Internet connection). The selection isn't that bad.

If you only watch one movie a month, this may not be for you. but if you like to entertain and watch movies or TV shows, Netflix is the way to go. You just go through their catalog and put whatever what you want in a queue. when you get a disc, you can keep it as long as you want -- a year even (but why, if you're paying $9 a month). They will automatically send you the next in queue when you return the one you have. So even if you only watch 2 movies a month, it still comes out to $4.50 each -- not a bad price considering it costs on average $7 a ticket to go to a theater. I usually get my money's worth since I watch at least one or two a week + the Instant Watch.

I just re-watched the entire two seasons of Lost (4 and 5) -- in HD quality, no less, over my Internet. Great convenience.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, in all my years, I've only had a handful of troubled discs and Netflix was very quick to replace them. Excellent customer service.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And if you happen to have a PS3, you can use their 'Watch Instantly' feature on your television without having to buy any additional equipment.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
BTW, if you REALLY only watch one movie/show a month, you may check out something called Red Box. They don't have a lot of variety, but they have some recent movies. It costs $1 a day -- you just pay with your credit card; they take out a deposit, and when you return the disc, you get the deposit back. They have machines everywhere so you can rent or return at any of those boxes. No contract or monthly fees. Pay as you go. So that may be better for you if you don't really watch that many movies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if you happen to have a PS3, you can use their 'Watch Instantly' feature on your television without having to buy any additional equipment.

Yep. We got the disc for that in the mail right fast, too.

I love Netflix. I talked the hubby into it w/ the $9 per month plan, and it works out great. We watch two movies a week with that, and quite a few instantly either on our computers or with the PS3.

Totally worth it, as far as we're concerned.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
<<<I liken a video store to a bookstore. I love to browse, pick up the boxes, read the back, maybe find a movie I've never heard of and rent it. If I have Netflix, how do I make those cool discoveries? I'll have to know about the movie before I can search for it, won't I? Or just browse, but that isn't the same.

Does Netflix have a comprehensive library? Can I find just about anything?
>>>

It's the same argument for or against shopping at B&N or online. Pros and cons. You can't pick up the goods and examine them. On the other hand, you get such a bigger library that you won't have at your local stores.

Netflix has over 1 million movies in their library, I believe. Anything from blockbusters to cult classics to niche market. Now, if something is truly hard to find, you may not find it on Netflix. But I doubt you could find them easily anywhere either.

You can easily browse through the catalogs at Netflix as you would any online stores. They're categorized by genre, etc. and they offer your suggestions based on your viewing history/interest. So yeah, you can make "discovery" easily as your browse through it.

Why not give it a try and see if you like it. You can always cancel the account if you don't like it -- there's no penalty.

The worst you would do is lose $9.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I think it's easier to browse at Netflix. If a film catches your eye and then its star reminds you that there was some film with soandso in it, but you just can't remember what it was called, you just click the name and their entire film history pops up. Easy peasy.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
True... and in a way, the analogy (video store vs. book store) is flawed. With books (or clothes), you really need to "try them" -- read a sample chapter, etc. With movies, you really don't -- you just look at the cover, then look at the synopsis, etc. There's nothing else to examine (oooh, the DVD is kind of shiny if you look at it...) All that information is right on NetFlix.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But then again, Netflix won't send you Twizzlers with your movie. A small design flaw - you have to buy your cinema snacks separately, like when you were at the grocery store earlier in the week.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
There are a couple things I REALLY like about Netflix.

First off, they have a huge catalogue, including some old movies I haven't seen since I was a kid. I've got those in my queue to watch, and introduce my hubby and kiddo to.

Second, hubby works third shift, and often spends the evening watching movies or TV series from Netflix on his computer. That's unlimited, and would have cost us a bundle, renting or buying all those.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I am not sure if the Instant Watch is unlimited. I have to check. But I think it's limited to 12 or 14 per month... (at least with my 2-out plan).

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It depends which package you buy. I know with the three-at-a-time that I have, it's unlimited - and anything above that, I suppose.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, another recommendation. Netflix is great. I have yet to be disappointed and the $9/month is well worth it. All the reasons I love it have already been covered, so:

:nothing

Tin Man

Chicks dig the metal.
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it. Netflix is good, all around.

Minor quibble:

For certain new releases, there is usually a long/very long wait.

Block buster online beats them in that category.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
we get it for a few years then cancel cuz we get "movied-out", then sign up again.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
My husband and I love Netflix. It is our one splurge and we have the 3 movies at a time deal. There are even movies that have been recommended that we wouldn't have otherwise seen.

If you see a movie you can always go back and take it off your list, move them up the list or down. It is great. No late fees.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Blockbuster sucks. It takes them three days for the DVD to arrive. Plus the web experience is awful compared to Netflix (which sends me the DVD the very next day).
Netflix is so seamless and reasonably priced, I've never even been tempted to try Blockbuster.