PDA

View Full Version : Requested Material?

ILove2Write
02-09-2010, 03:56 AM
My apologies if this has already been asked but I went looking through the threads and couldn't find an answer.

I got a request for a partial today (I'm so excited!!) and while I had emailed the query to the agency, they want it sent to their office via snail mail. I've never done this before outside of email. Do I need to write requested material on the envelope? It seems a little gaudy to me for all to see, but who knows... And if I do have to, where do I write it? The bottom corner?

Thanks!

suki
02-09-2010, 04:02 AM
My apologies if this has already been asked but I went looking through the threads and couldn't find an answer.

I got a request for a partial today (I'm so excited!!) and while I had emailed the query to the agency, they want it sent to their office via snail mail. I've never done this before outside of email. Do I need to write requested material on the envelope? It seems a little gaudy to me for all to see, but who knows... And if I do have to, where do I write it? The bottom corner?

Thanks!

First, congratulations and good luck.

Now, yes, write requested material in large letters on the envelope. I wrote it all along the bottom in very large letters. You want it to stand out to whomever handles the mail.

And do a simple cover letter, the subject of which will be Requested Material. Then tell the agent you are enclosing what she requested and a copy of your query and her email (fyi, just to remind her what she requested and from what).

~suki

ILove2Write
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Thank you Suki! :)

sissybaby
02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Congratulations! That's such a big, exciting step, isn't it? And be proud and happy to write those big bold letters on your envelope. Heck, yeah. And be sure to put your phone number in there somewhere, and if they asked for it, a stamped return envelope - you know - just in case.

I'm hoping good things for you.

Sissy

DerekJager
02-09-2010, 11:06 PM
You might also want to enclose a SASE and ask them to return it to you to acknowledge they received your package.

I once sent an entire manuscript to a place and they never acknowledged it--even though I enclosed a SASE--didn't return my "friendly" phone calls asking after it (voice mail all the time) and then after two letters, and a couple phone calls, they admitted they had lost the entire manuscript.

You might even want to put a confirmation sticker on it to be sure it arrived, and the SASE will help to confirm they have logged in your manuscript.

Good look -- and "trust, but verify!"

isabella19
02-10-2010, 06:39 AM
I don't know about writing 'requested material' in big letters. That might look a little bit strange and a little bit crazy! But if you have the name of the person who asked for the partial, and I'm sure you do, you could gently put 'requested by....' by the name bit of the address on the envelope.

Old Hack
02-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I'd write "requested material" on the outside of the envelope; but I wouldn't bother with enclosing a postcard for them to return to you on delivery, as most publishers don't open their submissions until they have time to read them: so you're likely to get that delivery confirmation in the same post as your rejection or acceptance.

Jamesaritchie
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Writing "Requested Material" is a good thing. You have no idea who the first person handling your manuscript will be, and unless it says "Requested Material"< there's a real chance it will take forever to get to the right person. It won't look crazy because it's the expected norm.

But if you want it to look really good, do what I did many years ago and have a rubber stamp of appropriate size made.

ILove2Write
02-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Congrats to you too Sissybaby! I read your other post.

Derekjager, Isabella19 and Old Hack - Thanks that's helpful info. I will put an SASE inside and write requested on the envelope.

Jamesaritchie - How much was it to make a rubber stamp?

CaroGirl
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
I use printer labels. I print REQUESTED MATERIAL in red (or solid black) on an address label and stick it on the outside of the box or envelope. I make it as large as the label can accommodate (I don't use huge labels). Sometimes, if the box is large, I print 2 and put one on each side of the address.

Jamesaritchie
02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Congrats to you too Sissybaby! I read your other post.

Derekjager, Isabella19 and Old Hack - Thanks that's helpful info. I will put an SASE inside and write requested on the envelope.

Jamesaritchie - How much was it to make a rubber stamp?

That depends on where you get them. Prices are all over the place. Mine cost $12.95 from a local print shop.

But you can also buy rubber stamp kits with insertable letters for not much money. My wife has such a kit that cost about twenty-five bucks, and she uses it for all sorts of things.

CaroGirl's method works, too. I just get all fumble-fingered when dealing with a printer and labels.

DerekJager
02-12-2010, 01:45 AM
I always type my mailing labels--I have horrible handwriting!--and I always typed the "requested materials" under the name/address like this:

Ms. Agent
Address
City/State/ZIP

REQUESTED MATERIALS ENCLOSED

Suzan
02-13-2010, 03:32 AM
I apologize if this has been asked before. I just go a request for my manuscript from the agent's assistant who said that "they" were looking forward to reading it. Getting ready to send if off, but I'm not sure who to address the cover letter to? The agent (who I've not yet corresponded with), the assistant (who asked for the material), or both? Thanks in advance for your advice on this.

cscarlet
02-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Congrats everyone!!! :)

Suzan, I don't technically know the answer to your question (I haven't even gotten around querying yet), BUT I know in my regular career if I think an assistant is going to be doing something, I typically would address something in a format like:

Agent of my Dreams
c/o Agent's Assistant
Publishing House
Street Address
City, State, Zip

That way it's addressed to both, but since the assistant requested it you're acknowledging them and giving them "care of" your materials for whatever they see fit.

Inside (like for your cover letter), I have no freaking clue. :-P LOL

ILove2Write
02-13-2010, 06:39 AM
I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who answered my questions! :)

I have sent out the partial. Now I'm on anxiously waiting for a response.

Suzan
02-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Thanks, cscarlet! Sent it out today with all bases covered...and now keeping fingers crossed : )