Rep Points and Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand_Maester

Registered
Reaction score
So, this probably sounds horribly newbish, especially considering I've had an account here for nearly six months, but only in the past few weeks I discovered that rep points even exist.
Anyways, my question: how do I give people rep points/comments?

Day O'

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I just discovered them last month too! Now, I've read the post about them, and don't get me wrong, those lovely comments are awesome, but is there any other purpose for them?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
The purpose: You can add to someone's rep points if you feel the person is helpful, trustworthy, supportive, etc.

Mostly they can be used for a bit of fun and for short messages to members instead of using the private message function. They can aslo be used to say how helpful you found a post, to say thank you for commenting on a story and such.

For the reputation levels see this thread. There are other threads around on rep points. If you search for Rep Points, put the Rep Points in between " " and it should help with the search a bit e.g. "Rep Points"

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how I can put in an emoticon in the rep message?

When you call up the full list of smilies, it shows you the emoticon as well as the code for the emoticon (usually something surrounded by : ). Use the code in the rep message. Be sure to type it exactly as shown (including capitalization) otherwise it won't get translated into the picture.

For example:

:shrug: vs. :Shrug:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
The purpose: You can add to someone's rep points if you feel the person is helpful, trustworthy, supportive, etc.

Mostly they can be used for a bit of fun and for short messages to members instead of using the private message function. They can aslo be used to say how helpful you found a post, to say thank you for commenting on a story and such.

For the reputation levels see this thread. There are other threads around on rep points. If you search for Rep Points, put the Rep Points in between " " and it should help with the search a bit e.g. "Rep Points"

And let's not forget those negative or sarcy rep points.....can someone explain the purpose of those to me? ;)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm among the few people who feels not one bit of shame at having issued negative rep points. I do it when I feel someone has been rude, unhelpful, given misinformation, deliberately discouraged, or sought to embarrass someone. I explain exactly what I feel was wrong about their post and why.

I even give 'em to mods and sages, fearlessly--but not often, because that sort of behavior is pretty rare for mods.

Maryn, who calls 'em as she sees 'em

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, I think that's different than it used to be. Any SuperMods want to tell us how we can deliver a slap on the rare occasions it's appropriate?

Maryn, whose use of "ignore" is a godsend

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm like Maryn. My ability to give negative reputations was taken away. I felt violated. How can I be snarkier-than-thou?

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm among the few people who feels not one bit of shame at having issued negative rep points. I do it when I feel someone has been rude, unhelpful, given misinformation, deliberately discouraged, or sought to embarrass someone. I explain exactly what I feel was wrong about their post and why.

I even give 'em to mods and sages, fearlessly--but not often, because that sort of behavior is pretty rare for mods.

Maryn, who calls 'em as she sees 'em

[Bolding is mine]

This wasn't the case in my 'negative rep' situation...

Anyway, I was under the impression that "reps" were supposed to be a good thing (positive)--I mean the little box says "I approve" after all. Wouldn't it make more sense to PM someone if you've got a problem with their post or need clarification? :Shrug:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've never gotten a neg rep.

For those of you who don't know me, you're supposed to be laughing.....and repping me these :D

Deleted member 42

The option to give negative reps was removed from members because a few members abused the privilege.

Which caused all manner of problems, and extra work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope I didn't do it grossly but with a certain flair approaching elan...

Maryn, with a wink

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
But people can still type sarcy comments as a rep point... I guess either way I'm adding to my rep points, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.