PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a geek when...

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
It just dawned on me the extent of my geekdom. I had no idea it was Superbowl Sunday until it was mentioned by a male, tight-wearing, acrobat at the Ren Fest yesterday.

Yes, I know it's that general time of year and that one of these Sundays would be the day, but I had no clue. The kids asked us about the rules of football recently, as well. Both my husband and I know about soccer and hockey. But... football?

So, to that end, I thought it might be fun to start a thread "You know you're a geek when..."

Mine obviously is... "You know you're a geek when you don't know it's Superbowl Sunday until the guy in the jester suit at the Renaissance Festival tells you about it."

What's yours, my fellow geeks?

(Please don't let the crickets chirp on this one. I know there have to be some geeks here somewhere. Come out come out wherever you are... :D )

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Oh, and I had to add this one...

You know you're a geek when you see an ad on TV for a toy that floats tinsel around, recognize it as a Van der Graaf generator and tell the kids "...buy you one? nah, we'll make a better one at home!! It's Radioshack time!"

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 01:32 AM
You know that you're a geek when you start quoting Monty Python in middle of the street with your best friend and she starts to complement and respond your quotes.

Mr Flibble
02-09-2010, 01:37 AM
When you name your daughter after a Star Trek character.

You know that you're a geek when you start quoting Monty Python in middle of the street with your best friend and she starts to complement and respond your quotes. When you and your mates can have whole conversations using nothing but Monty Python, Red Dwarf and Blackadder quotes

Well, if you've got some amazing secret plan up your sleeve, Kryten, now's the time to mention it.
No plan, sir. No sleeves.
I have a cunning plan My Lord.
How did you get so much custard out of such a small cat?
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper.

CheekyWench
02-09-2010, 01:38 AM
You know that you're a geek when you start quoting Monty Python in middle of the street with your best friend and she starts to complement and respond your quotes.

You know you're a geek when you name your World of Warcraft guild after a Monty Python skit.
:gone:

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 02:07 AM
:e2point:

Seriously....

:LilLove::heart::thankyou:

I know it's not Valentines Day yet...but... I love you guys....

:e2heartbe

Fran
02-09-2010, 02:15 AM
You know you're a geek when you can find every single treasure chest in The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker and phone your best friend to tell him because you know he can't.

Sweetleaf
02-09-2010, 02:56 AM
You know you're a geek when someone asks (rhetorically) where pulling the fingers originated and you can tell them. (Battle of Agincourt, if anyone's interested. I won't explain fully. :))

Medievalist
02-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Guys, no, really, you're describing nerds.

Not geeks.

Geek means you get paid for being a geek because of your specialized skills and knowledge.

You're a geek when you can differentiate the fine differences between Python and Ruby.

You're a geek when you know that Larry Wall's favorite recipe for prune muffins is in the Perl man files.

Xelebes
02-09-2010, 04:18 AM
You know when you're a geek when you start combing Google Maps for place names to add to the dictionary you're making for, for a geographic variant on Scrabble.

writerboyontour
02-09-2010, 04:30 AM
You know you're a geek when you explain to you're Korean EFL students the battle between the serial comma people and the non-serial comma people, then explode on the virtues and flexibility of the serial comma and call the non-serial comma people obtuse and indolent, and finally smile when they care and get into it, but really because they now defend the serial comma too.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 04:31 AM

Not geeks.

Geek means you get paid for being a geek because of your specialized skills and knowledge.

You're a geek when you can differentiate the fine differences between Python and Ruby.

You're a geek when you know that Larry Wall's favorite recipe for prune muffins is in the Perl man files.

So only programmers can be geeks? I thought geeks came in an assortment of flavors from the tech to sci to history to the art geek. I never understood the fine delineation of geek v. nerd. They're pretty much synonymic and probably tormented equally on high school campuses around the country.

Besides, if Dice is any indication of what's going on these days, getting paid to be a "geek" as defined by knowledge of Ruby, Perl, VB, etc.... seems like it's getting harder to come by. Just sayin'....

I may never get paid to be a geek, but I know I are one ;)

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 04:33 AM
You're a geek when you try to invent a fictional language.

You're a geek when you have seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show on midnight madness at least twice.

Xelebes
02-09-2010, 04:35 AM

Not geeks.

There is a Venn diagram out there that shows the relative differences between a geek, nerd, dork and dweeb in the most recent understanding of the four. IT is more commonly accepted that a nerd is very similar to a geek save for the fact that the nerd is socially awkward. A dork has the obsession of a geek and the social awkwardness of a nerd but not the intelligence of a geek or a nerd. A dweeb has the intelligence of a geek and the social awkwardness of a nerd but not the obsession of a geek or a nerd.

Pretty much illustrates how someone of the younger generations see them as.

Xelebes
02-09-2010, 04:37 AM

I did that in grade 1. My teachers always complained of me handing in all my assignments in this made up language. I still don't see why they objected so much to it.

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 04:38 AM
I did that in grade 1. My teachers always complained of me handing in all my assignments in this made up language. I still don't see why they objected so much to it.

I tried as well, but I shelved it since it ended up something far bigger than I could handle. I think you can see a couple of examples here on AW around...

CheekyWench
02-09-2010, 04:41 AM

You're a geek when you have seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show on midnight madness at least twice.

So, what does it mean if you were on RHPS Cast for three years?
:tongue :gone:

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 04:43 AM
So, what does it mean if you were on RHPS Cast for three years?
:tongue :gone:

It means I love you.

CheekyWench
02-09-2010, 04:45 AM
It means I love you.
:ROFL:

robeiae
02-09-2010, 04:46 AM
So only programmers can be geeks? I thought geeks came in an assortment of flavors from the tech to sci to history to the art geek. I never understood the fine delineation of geek v. nerd. They're pretty much synonymic and probably tormented equally on high school campuses around the country.

Besides, if Dice is any indication of what's going on these days, getting paid to be a "geek" as defined by knowledge of Ruby, Perl, VB, etc.... seems like it's getting harder to come by. Just sayin'....

Don't let Lisa get you down. She's an elitist geek, a rare bird indeed.

Anyway, you know you're a geek when you can't fathom why ANYONE wouldn't list Rush as one of their all-time favorite bands.

Xelebes
02-09-2010, 04:47 AM
I tried as well, but I shelved it since it ended up something far bigger than I could handle. I think you can see a couple of examples here on AW around...

Really, it's not that hard. You just come up with the rules of grammar and the words fall into place.

MY favourite is to make the sentence structure all lopsided and bizarre.

Eg:

[Subject-Predicate] [Article] [Preposition]

Manran the over there.
Personwalkstore self the into.

robeiae
02-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Self walk into the person store?

Is that Yoda-speak?

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 04:52 AM
You know that you're a geek when you don't only own the RHPS soundtrack, but you own in several languages. Including the Mexican one where Dr. Frank looks like Hugo Weaving playing Ziggy Stardust and Brad looks like Buddy Holly cosplaying like Pee-Wee Herman.

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Really, it's not that hard. You just come up with the rules of grammar and the words fall into place.

MY favourite is to make the sentence structure all lopsided and bizarre.

Eg:

[Subject-Predicate] [Article] [Preposition]

Manran the over there.
Personwalkstore self the into.

I have found a fragment I posted a while ago:

Goku àokuchû shorînga. Oku àkokuchû shoegga. Koku ágokuchû shouòka. Atchoku shochúi garo

Translation:

The Youth Wants to be Adult. The Adult can be Old. The Old desires the Youth. Everyone will die.

PoppysInARow
02-09-2010, 05:16 AM

:ROFL: I totally did this the other day!

Xelebes
02-09-2010, 05:16 AM
Self walk into the person store?

Is that Yoda-speak?

"I walk into the store"

Pronouns would be almost completely removed from the language.

robeiae
02-09-2010, 05:23 AM
"I walk into the store"

Pronouns would be almost completely removed from the language.
Personfindthat self annoying.

Xelebes
02-09-2010, 05:31 AM
Personfindthat self annoying.

You're getting the hang of it!

Medievalist
02-09-2010, 05:37 AM

No no, note that I said "Geek means you get paid for being a geek because of your specialized skills and knowledge."

It's the *pay* part that makes all the difference.

There are wine geeks, bird geeks, knitting geeks, linguistics geeks--it's the obsessive, minute, and also all encompassing knowledge obsession, that defines the geek.

The specialized part is important too. There are people who know a little Perl; they don't *know Perl*. There are people who say they *know* unix, but a true unix geek has done things like write unix internals, or contributed to the BSD kernal . . . it's like the difference between a B.A. and a Ph.D.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 05:59 AM
[QUOTE=ad_lucem;4617310]So only programmers can be geeks? I thought geeks came in an assortment of flavors from the tech to sci to history to the art geek. I never understood the fine delineation of geek v. nerd. They're pretty much synonymic and probably tormented equally on high school campuses around the country.[/qupte]

No no, note that I said "Geek means you get paid for being a geek because of your specialized skills and knowledge."

There are wine geeks, bird geeks, knitting geeks, linguistics geeks--it's the obsessive, minute, and also all encompassing knowledge obsession, that defines the geek.

The specialized part is important too. There are people who know a little Perl; they don't *know Perl*. There are people who say they *know* unix, but a true unix geek has done things like write unix internals, or contributed to the BSD kernal . . . it's like the difference between a B.A. and a Ph.D.

I've seen the lists of things in job postings (did some work with a tech head-hunter once...temporarily...thank heaven only temp--nightmare job from the fiery pits of Dante's Inferno...and my hubby is in the ranks of paid geek) listing all the languages one should be "proficient/experienced in"... I shudder to think how old or devoid of personal life a person would actually need to be to supply the sheer man-hours necessary to be a "perfect fit" for some of the positions.

Knowledge obession defines geek more than the pay part. Getting paid doesn't make you an info junkie. Not that getting paid would be a bad thing. Getting paid is always a nice thing when it happens... :D

robeiae
02-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Is there socialization of labor in geekdom? And what about the nerd-added theory of labor?

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Don't let Lisa get you down. She's an elitist geek, a rare bird indeed.

Anyway, you know you're a geek when you can't fathom why ANYONE wouldn't list Rush as one of their all-time favorite bands.

:Shrug:

I thought elitist geeks were the guys at the comicon who only speak in Klingon and don't recognize Enterprise as a "real" Trek because it diverts from canon.

Or the type that walk into the local Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics and are known on a first name basis by the entire staff....except that one guy they hired day before yesterday who just missed their Saturday visit to the store.

robeiae
02-09-2010, 06:15 AM
:Shrug:

I thought elitist geeks were the guys at the comicon who only speak in Klingon and don't recognize Enterprise as a "real" Trek because it diverts from canon.No. Those are called "losers."

Or the type that walk into the local Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics and are known on a first name basis by the entire staff....except that one guy they hired day before yesterday who just missed their Saturday visit to the store.
That's me...

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=ad_lucem;4617310]So only programmers can be geeks? I thought geeks came in an assortment of flavors from the tech to sci to history to the art geek. I never understood the fine delineation of geek v. nerd. They're pretty much synonymic and probably tormented equally on high school campuses around the country.[/qupte]

Does this mean the Freemasons are some sort of ancient geeks?

http://whatisthepyramid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/151141George-Washington-1732-99-as-a-Freemason-Posters.jpg

Pictured: A proto-LARP.

benbradley
02-09-2010, 06:16 AM
You're a geek when...

you can still remember that FORTRAN joke, GOD IS REAL UNLESS DECLARED INTEGER.

You want to move closer to the nearest major city just to be closer to the hacker space (http://freesideatlanta.org) there. Okay, maybe that's a nerd thing, but virtually all of them are geeks too.

robeiae
02-09-2010, 06:21 AM
I remember that FORTRAN joke. Still have it on a punch card...

Ultimate geek: you laugh at jokes written in binary.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 06:30 AM
No. Those are called "losers."

Gotcha...

That's me...

Us too. Well, in bygone times... we aren't in walking distance of both a Shack and a Fry's anymore.

But that doesn't mean we didn't jump and run for one when the kid had to make a board game as part of a book report so we could get a piezo buzzer, some leds and whatnot to help em' had some circuitry to it for funzies.

I'll add...

You might be living in a household of future geeks and general nerds if one day your eldest child steals every one of the antennae off of every radio in the house, some of the tinfoil and a few pieces out of the remote control cars in an effort to get his home-made transmitter to have a clearer signal to the sound system....

You might also be a geek if you routinely smell ozone eminating from your children's room.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 06:33 AM

:D

benbradley
02-09-2010, 07:21 AM

For some the name "Errol" may ring a bell - he did an online radio show last November for NaNoWriMo. One of the ML's for the Atlanta "Pandas" called in one night. Here's Errol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kx9NVVOU88

Gotcha...

Us too. Well, in bygone times... we aren't in walking distance of both a Shack and a Fry's anymore.
It's been years since I've been in a Radio Shack. I go to Fry's occasionally when I'm in the area, but the real parts and selection are online (http://www.digikey.com/). I have the print catalog (not sure why I need it, but they sent it to me), it's thicker than any phone book or Byte magazine I've ever seen. I wonder about the printing and binding technology that produces that thing. The Mouser (http://www.mouser.com/) catalog is about the same.

Matera the Mad
02-09-2010, 08:54 AM
When my ISP calls me and asks for help. :o

Medievalist
02-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Does this mean the Freemasons are some sort of ancient geeks?

No; they are aliens, as exposed by Whitley Streiber.

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Ah, well, at least they are not lizard people.

You're a geek when two thirds or more of your iPod consists on soundtracks of either cult movies (Brazil, Repo!: The Genetic Opera, Forbidden Zone, etc.) or sheer nerd classics from different mediums (Back to the future, Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, etc.)

*enjoying the Journey of the Sorcerer on his iPod at this moment*

JimmyB27
02-09-2010, 02:36 PM

You know you're a geek when you explain the difference between a nerd and a geek (a geek wonders what it would be like to have sex in zero gravity, a nerd just wonders what it would be like to have sex) to your work colleague, and they just give you a blank stare.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 04:03 PM

You mean to tell me Whitley Streiber scooped David Icke???

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 04:05 PM
You know you're a geek when you explain the difference between a nerd and a geek (a geek wonders what it would be like to have sex in zero gravity, a nerd just wonders what it would be like to have sex) to your work colleague, and they just give you a blank stare.

Okay, now there's an operational definition if I ever heard one.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
You know you're a geek parent when you get up at 4am because you needed to copy about 80 pages worth of curricular materials in math/science to send in as supplement for your kids so they don't drive their teachers crazy this week when they runs out of the last 100 pages of material you sent in a month ago...

ChakramStrike
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
You know you're a geek when you have a bad habit of trying to apply real-world physics to something in a video game.

ad_lucem
02-09-2010, 06:42 PM
You know you're a geek when you have a bad habit of trying to apply real-world physics to something in a video game.

You know you're a geek when you play World of Goo and Crayon Physics Deluxe primarily BECAUSE of the emphasis on physics.

robeiae
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
You know you're a geek when it bothers you that Starbucks employees aren't fully conversant in the Laws of Thermodynamics. Because they should be.

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
You know that you're a geek when you try to define if Smurfs are mammals or hive-like (and get what show I am referencing).

JoeEkaitis
02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
You know you're a geek when for no valid reason, you feel like erasing your hard drive and reinstalling your computer's operating system, usually within an hour of what should be your bedtime even though it's a weeknight and you have to get up early and go to work tomorrow.

JoeEkaitis
02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
You know you're a geek when you HAVE to show EVERYONE who comes to your house how you can boil water on a paper napkin . . .

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/3c/c5/f37681b0c8a053b5436a9110.L.jpg

and put your hand right next to the pot without getting burned . . .

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/87/9c/f14181b0c8a053b5436a9110.L.jpg

on your oh-so-geeky portable induction cooktop.

lucidzfl
02-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm writing a story about artificial intelligence because I actually wrote an artificial intelligence. Does that count?

DeleyanLee
02-09-2010, 10:29 PM
According to my daughter, she's a total geek because "Bejing fried rice" is trending on Twitter now and she helped keep it in the top ten.

Whatever that means.

maxmordon
02-09-2010, 10:33 PM
You know that you are a geek when you wake up at 5 AM and the first thing you do, even before brushing your teeth, is checking out new posts on Absolute Write Water Cooler.

Shadow_Ferret
02-09-2010, 10:40 PM
You realize with a shock that you're not a geek after all because you don't do any of the things everyone is proclaiming here in the geek thread.

robeiae
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
You know that you are a geek when you wake up at 5 AM and the first thing you do, even before brushing your teeth, is checking out new posts on Absolute Write Water Cooler.That just makes you a "valued member of the community."

Or something like that...

robeiae
02-09-2010, 11:24 PM
You realize with a shock that you're not a geek after all because you don't do any of the things everyone is proclaiming here in the geek thread.
Geek (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaIw7kVmeTU).

Shadow_Ferret
02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Way to go, egghead.

WildScribe
02-09-2010, 11:44 PM
I worked in a daycare a few years back, and a computer tech dad brought his daughter in dressed in a onesie that had the C++ "Hello World" code on it. I knew I was a geek when I nearly died laughing, the dad gave me a high five, and everyone else looked at me like I'd gone nuts.

Jess Haines
02-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Not quite a "know you're a geek when..." but still amusing:

A programmer is walking down the street when a frog cries out, “Help! I’m a princess! If you kiss me, it will end the curse!”

The programmer glances at the frog, picks it up, and puts it in his pocket.

“What? No!” the frog cries. “Please, if you break the curse, I’ll stay with you for a week!”

The programmer pats his pocket but otherwise does nothing.

“My god,” the frog pleaded, “I’ll do anything you want if you bre—”

“Listen,” the programmer interrupted. “I’m a programmer and I don’t have time for a girlfriend. But a talking frog? THAT’S cool.”

(P.S. I did not write this, I take no credit for anything other than passing it along.)

ad_lucem
02-10-2010, 02:12 AM
I worked in a daycare a few years back, and a computer tech dad brought his daughter in dressed in a onesie that had the C++ "Hello World" code on it. I knew I was a geek when I nearly died laughing, the dad gave me a high five, and everyone else looked at me like I'd gone nuts.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/

My absolute favorite in geek accessories. The folks that work there are really awesome, too. They helped us out with a fundraiser for my son's school once by sending a box of geek swag.

Very cool :D

Art_Sempai
02-10-2010, 02:24 AM
You know you're a geek when you've played most of the games
the Angry Video Game Nerd has played.

benbradley
02-10-2010, 04:24 AM
You know you're a geek when you have not just the keyboard, but also the shirt with the keyboard on it (thanks to NaNoWriMo). Check out post #9:
"I just realized where that image came from. That guy stole my pic!!!! Probably didn't have a clue the layout is COMPLETELY custom."
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=7995

My Space Saver keyboard is just the ordinary "stock" no-numpad Model M with the wide backspace and shift keys that are about the size of the Enter key.

You know you're a geek if you're on a site called geekhack and a pic of your custom keyboard was ripped off to use on a t-shirt.

JoeEkaitis
02-16-2010, 01:49 AM
You know you're a geek when someone says "I'm tired of being a broken record!" and you say "A what?"

You know you're a geek when someone says "He's a carbon copy of his father" and you say "A what?"

writerterri
02-16-2010, 07:46 AM
...when you laugh at JoeEkaitis's stuff.

:D