PDA

View Full Version : Return of the 12oz Roll

Lost World
02-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Some might remember this hilarious consumer complaint call made by "a Texas Man" to Jimmy Dean sausage a couple of years back. It made the rounds on most of the early-morning talk radio shows around the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4RNb3tt0LM

As a result of the negative publicity, Jimmy Dean decided to return to their sixteen ounce roll of sausage, instead of selling the 12 ounce roll for the 16 ounce price.

I regret to report that upon a trip to the grocery store this afternoon I discovered that Jimmy Dean is at it again, downsizing to a 12 ounce roll and charging the 16 ounce price. I'm with Randy Taylor: "Somebody needs their ass kicked!"

Silver King
02-09-2010, 04:38 AM
...I regret to report that upon a trip to the grocery store this afternoon I discovered that Jimmy Dean is at it again, downsizing to a 12 ounce roll and charging the 16 ounce price...
That drives me crazy when I shop for groceries. The packaging and their contents get smaller while prices keep going up and up. This is especially true with items such as breakfast cereals. Not only are the cartons smaller and the prices inflated, but you get about as much empty space as you do actual product when you open the package.

Companies should change their disclaimer of contents may have settled during shipping, to the truth, which is, contents are sold in larger containers than necessary to make you think you are getting more for your money.

Maryn
02-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I noticed when I changed the toilet paper in the powder room that the new package is narrower by a good inch. Now the roller-thingy shows, and it's ugly. I even took the empty tube out of the trash to double check. Yup. Way smaller.

Maryn, who'll probably end up dabbing with something the size of dental tape

kayleamay
02-09-2010, 08:22 PM
My boys devour cereal. The last time I bought a box, they ate it in one sitting. I switched to the big bags after that. Every once in awhile they ask if we can buy "fancy cereal". I told them fancy is only for ketchup.

My grocery bill is rivaling my mortgage payment.

the addster
02-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I own a grocery store, just checked availability, both 12 oz and 16 oz. are available. The only product listed as 12 oz. is the low fat sausage. It does wholesale for the same price as the 16 oz.

This a very common practice. Cans of vegetables and soup used to all be 16 oz., then they went to 15 oz, if you look on the shelves now, you will see that they range from 13 oz. to 14.5 oz. Candy bars, boxed stuff like macaroni and cheese, frozen products, all have downsized.

It's not the store's fault, they charge us the same wholesale cost as they had for the larger product.

Haggis
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I noticed when I changed the toilet paper in the powder room that the new package is narrower by a good inch. Now the roller-thingy shows, and it's ugly. I even took the empty tube out of the trash to double check. Yup. Way smaller.

Maryn, who'll probably end up dabbing with something the size of dental tape

It's a conspiracy (http://www.raphaelsvillage.com/article.php?story=20090428091922272).

Lost World
02-12-2010, 10:19 PM
I own a grocery store, just checked availability, both 12 oz and 16 oz. are available. The only product listed as 12 oz. is the low fat sausage. It does wholesale for the same price as the 16 oz.

This particular store had one 16 oz roll at the front, to get rid of it. The rest were 12's. JD's size doesn't really concern me; I buy Bob Evans sausage. I just brought it up because it reminded me of the consumer complaint call.