Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
Hi, there,

I'm newish here. I have been writing, on and off, for ages. Recently, I've been trying to "buckle down" and actually finish one of my manuscripts, and I've been contemplating using a pen name. My real name, both first and last, are pretty dang common, enough so that I once got the report card of another girl, among other "mistaken identity" issues I've dealt with. Also, as I'd like to someday write straight fantasies, should I maybe choose one pen name for romance, and a different one for fantasies? Any advice on choosing a good/ memorable pen name?

Other

Registered
Reaction score
I chose the pen name for my current WIP by choosing a first name I liked and then adding unusual last names. I typed in all the possibilities into facebook. The names that belonged to someone else automatically got scrapped. When it was all done I had an easy time choosing my pen name from the remaining possibilities. You could do it opposite -- unusual first names with usual last names. Just one idea.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Pick something short and easy to spell. I didn't realize how many people would misspell 'Myles' as 'Miles' when I picked the name.

Next time, I'll know... ;)

(I was also told that the shorter the name, the bigger it can be on the cover, depending on the font. Which is why I am Jill, heh. The next name will be JO MAY or something. Heh.)

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
I concur with the advice already given on choosing a pen name that is easy to spell. I'd also separate 'romance' from 'fantasy' when choosing a name--unless you aim for romantic fantasy so your two genres compliment each other.

Just a little more food for thought:
-think about a pen name that would alphabetically place you next to an author successful in your genre
-consider the ease of signing the name you choose. Hey, honestly think it through. If you've signed your name as Susie Que all your life, completely unfamiliar letters will be hard to pen naturally at a book signing. (This from a girl who writes under her own first name--or a variation thereof--but chose a second name that makes mke pause every time I sign a book...)

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Google the name.

I'm not sure 'ordinary' is bad. Some folks do fine with Susan Johnson and some do fine with Crescent Dragonwagon.

@ Lainey -- this finding a pen name that places you next to an author successful in your genre is what you might call a mixed blessing.

I am continually picking up Krantz when I want Krentz.
And could we please have a few less people writing as Somebody Michaels? I love you all, but . . .

I had to use my whole first name -- Joanna Bourne -- instead of my more usual -- Jo Bourne -- because I am shelved near blockbuster and personal idol Jo Beverley.

Last edited:

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
This is something I'm constantly struggling with, too. But for me it's not chosing a penname. It's deciding if I'll have multiple pennames down the line.

I know that there are three areas I'll be writing in:

1) urban fantasy/contemporary fantasy

2) paranormal romance

3) YA

At this point, I have no idea where area will be more successful since I am a newish writer. All of them have substantial overlap in content so having one penname could help, but at the same time I don't want problems with audience if I am writing YA and then write some kind of steamy love scene in a paranormal.

I never thought about the pros/cons of being next to someone with a well-known name. Hmm.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I write under a variety of pen names (truly, don't ask how many...it's a sad illustration of my mental state ;)). There are a variety of reasons to use a pen name, several mentioned here already.

Here are a couple more:

Your name is a promise to your readers. If Mary Snow writes erotica, then she'd better use a different name if she's also writing children's picture books.

We all get that extreme, and the idea that switching genres many times means pen names.

But if your voice changes depending on what you're writing, you may want to consider pen names, then, too. Your readers will expect a certain tone as well as content from your name. If you write, say, both humorous SF/F and epic, serious SF/F, you may want two different names, because of reader confusion.

Another reason is output. If you're a prolific writer, even the romance arena may not be able to keep up with you. Pen names are your friends then, too.

If you have an agent, this is a good discussion to have with her/him. Your agent will have a good idea.

The biggest thing to do is...write the book. Worry about what you call yourself when it's done and you're shopping it to agents or publishers.

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
I write with a writing partner and we've chosen to use our two first names as our semi-pseudonym. We write romance, YA, science fiction, and mystery and we're comfortable sending everything out under the same name. If I like a writer, I tend to like everything s/he writes, regardless of genre. I'm hoping, some day, that people say the same thing about the work I've produced.

Dean Koontz used to use pen names. He talks about his experience here:

http://www.deankoontz.com/about-dean/the-write-stuff/funny-bone/the-murder-of-a-pen-name

Best of luck. Let us know the name(s) you settle on, okay?

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My name is common too. There are at least two others with my name actively writing. People looking for my POD novella on Amazon ask me about "those other books" I've written. People are buying this other Chris P's books :(

People do use pen names for the reasons you've mentioned: a common name, writing different genres, etc.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I decided to use a pen name for a couple of reasons. One, because I work in the legal field and wanted to keep a thin layer of separation between the writing me and the legal me. Two, because while I don't plan to keep my writing identity super top secret, this way only people who I want to know about the pen name--or really determined readers--will be able to link the writing me with the legal me. I chose the name by taking a family name I really like--Casey--switching it to a K to be more feminine (most of the Caseys in the family tree were male), and then choosing an Irish surname that I love (because we have lots of Irish blood in us). I made sure I liked the look and sound of the name. And voila! My pen name!

Status
Not open for further replies.