PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Hugo Award Winners!

Richard White
08-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Campbell Award: Elizabeth Bear
Fan Artist: Sue Mason
Best Fanzine: Plokta
Best Fanwriter: Dave Langford
Best Website: Scifiction
Best Semiprozine: Ansible
Best Professional Artist: Jim Burns
Best Professional Editor: Ellen Datlow
Best Dramatic, Short Form: Battlestar Galactica, '33'
Best Dramatic, Long Form: The Incredibles
Best Related: The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction
Best Short Story: Travels With My Cats by Mike Resnick
Best Novellette: The Faery Handbag by Kelly Link
Best Novella: The Concrete Jungle by Charles Stross
Best Novel: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

alaskamatt17
08-08-2005, 11:52 AM
I haven't read any of these, but I feel like I should. I've enjoyed every Hugo winner I've read so far.

azbikergirl
08-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Whenever I'm looking for a new author, I look to the Hugo and Nebula lists. The 2006 Nebula Awards will be in Tempe AZ! I wonder if I could go...

dblteam
08-09-2005, 11:26 PM
How cool to see 'Battlestar Galactica' win. The 80's version was kind of cheesy, but this new reimaging of the story is fantastic.

What a sorry creature I would be if I had to choose between BG and 'Lost' :-)

Valerie

Jamesaritchie
08-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Campbell Award: Elizabeth Bear
Fan Artist: Sue Mason
Best Fanzine: Plokta
Best Fanwriter: Dave Langford
Best Website: Scifiction
Best Semiprozine: Ansible
Best Professional Artist: Jim Burns
Best Professional Editor: Ellen Datlow
Best Dramatic, Short Form: Battlestar Galactica, '33'
Best Dramatic, Long Form: The Incredibles
Best Related: The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction
Best Short Story: Travels With My Cats by Mike Resnick
Best Novellette: The Faery Handbag by Kelly Link
Best Novella: The Concrete Jungle by Charles Stross
Best Novel: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

And the only literary one I got right was Travels With My Cats. Not my best year for predictions, though I'm incredibly glad to see Ellen Datlow win.

alaskamatt17
08-10-2005, 12:52 PM
James, what did you predict for Best Novel? I've been hearing a lot about this Jonathan Strange aand Mr. Norrell but I haven't read it yet. I was aware that it was a contender.

zornhau
08-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I haven't read any of these, but I feel like I should. I've enjoyed every Hugo winner I've read so far.

Well, you can read Charles Stross's one for free here: http://www.goldengryphon.com/Stross-Concrete.html

Jamesaritchie
08-10-2005, 01:11 PM
James, what did you predict for Best Novel? I've been hearing a lot about this Jonathan Strange aand Mr. Norrell but I haven't read it yet. I was aware that it was a contender.

I thought Ian MacDonald’s "River of Gods" would take it, but I haven't read "Jonathan Strange" myself, so maybe it is the better novel. It's now on my must read list.

Torgo
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Glad to see Charlie Stross picking up a Hugo. "The Atrocity Archive" and this winning novella are very funny indeed. Also, Kelly Link's "Fairy Handbag" was excellent.

alaskamatt17
08-10-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm still catching up with the list of old Hugo winners. I've had a couple friends recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, though, and it also won a Locus award for best first novel. That's a good enough commendation to get me to buy it.

Jamesaritchie
08-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Glad to see Charlie Stross picking up a Hugo. "The Atrocity Archive" and this winning novella are very funny indeed. Also, Kelly Link's "Fairy Handbag" was excellent.

Yes, though I was hoping James Patrick Kelly would win something just because he's a sentimental favorite with me.