PDA

View Full Version : Bird watching

Fenika
02-08-2010, 02:07 AM
I finally went out and got some suet and a pole to hang the feeders on, and was rewarded with a chickadee in my tiny yard.

Since we've got bad weather on the way I'm sure the birds will be happy to visit. So far I've seen juncos (two types), sparrows (including a tree sparrow?), blue jays, cardinals, robins, ring-necked doves, mourning doves, etc.

Just like back home (Delaware) the juncos predominate, probably because I like to feed on the ground. Unlike home I see far less squirrels here, thank heavens.

I'd post pics, but my tiny yard is fugly. Maybe if we get some snow :D

L.J.
02-08-2010, 02:36 AM
A few summers ago, I started putting bird feed out. I also got a couple of birdbaths, a dream I'd had for sometime. It has been such a delight watching the birds come, and seeing them bathe in the birdbaths.

We've had blue jays, brown thrashers, mocking birds, chickadees, tufted titmice, an occasional blue bird, some birds I can't identify, cat birds, mourning doves ... lots of cardinals, which I used to not see around here.

We hardly ever see a squirrel, either. Fox squirrels are the most predominant around here, but don't see them very often.

It is whippoorwill haven around here. I hear them all around me, and at twilight, have even had the joy of seeing them.

Fenika
02-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Oh, that sounds nice. What state are you in? I'm in OK, despite my claim in the Location field.

L.J.
02-08-2010, 02:41 AM
I'm in Georgia, out in the country. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-08-2010, 03:04 AM
We've got three multi-armed poles in our back yard, along with four bird baths and two fountains, complete with heaters to keep the water flowing during this 'balmy' winter we're 'enjoying'. We've got doves, sparrows, juncos, cardinals, blue jays, cedar wax wings, gold finches, wrens, red-wing blackbirds, purple finches, kites, a sharp-shinned hawk, and a Cooper's hawk.

My favorites are the juncos... when it gets cold - especially if it snows - they're all over the yard. They're adorable. Ol' Boy loves the hawks - as do I - but when they show up, everyone else disappears.

Fenika
02-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Georgia must be warmer than we are now :)

OFG, that sounds nice. I forgot to mention the goldfinches here. I got them a thistle sock and they've only recently come to enjoy it (once I put out food for the other birds).

I know there are plenty of birds of prey around, but I don't see them from my window. I'd love to see some cedar waxwings again and others on your folks' lists :)

Tepelus
02-08-2010, 04:56 AM
I would love to feed the birds...but we have too many fox squirrels and all they do is destroy my feeders and take all the seed. The birds feed at my neighbors feeder, equipped with many squirrel baffles and such, and I end up with the stupid fluffy-tailed tree dwelling rats. So we throw out some sunflower seed on our big tree stump in the back yard and the end pieces of bread loaves we don't eat and feed the squirrels. Occasionally the birds find the seed and bread before the squirrels, but not usually. The neighbor also feeds them corn, which they like to plant in the yard and in my flowers. We do have noisy Carolina wren that shows up every once in a while, and a goshawk. I wish the goshawk would take out a few squirrels. When my flowers are in bloom, I get to enjoy the hummingbirds, they fight over the cardinal flowers. So I planted more red flowering plants just for the hummers. When I lived in Michigan, it seemed that we had a lot of different kinds of birds, and I fed them all year because different birds show up at different times of the year. Where I live in Ohio, the variety seems minimal. I think it may be due to more corn field than forest in the area.

bettielee
02-08-2010, 05:52 AM
My parents live up on a mountain in the woods. It is bird feeding heaven. They get two kinds mainly, these little golden guys, and little guys that look the same, only red.

There are also tons of quails wadding around asking questions. Or that's what it sounds like. And they have the biggest Ravens! They are supposedly the European type. Enormous! One went by the window, and I thought it was a damn turkey vulture!

Xelebes
02-08-2010, 06:19 AM
The only birds we get on our yard this time of the year are magpies, crows, ravens, blue jays, chickadees and cedar waxwings.

Fran
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
There's an enormous, fat thrush in my garden. I don't know how it flies. It sits on branches and they bend almost to the ground. I'm waiting for the blackbird (Mrs B) to come back and start her nest up again but I haven't seen Bobbin the robin this year. I think the thrush might have ate him... ;)

I love birds. I used to go to the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow all the time to see the ducks and the goosanders and the herons and the kingfishers and the pied wagtails and yellow wagtails and the wrens. And I got in to an argument with my friend because I saw a pine grosbeak and he says it couldn't have been a pine grosbeak but it was and he's just jealous. He said it was a chaffinch. Pah. :D

Maryn
02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I feed the birds--and the deer and the squirrels who are smart enough to outwit my squirrel-proof, deer-proof set-up. I'm in western New York state.

I could and perhaps should fill the feeders daily, because they get emptied daily. Whatever the birds don't get during the day, the deer lick out at night.

While I do far more business than I like with house wrens and common sparrows, we also see cardinals a lot (that red is so welcome in winter!), blue jays, chickadees (very distinctive flight pattern), mourning doves, pigeons who are mostly just checking out the action, red-winged blackbirds, grackels (the worst), and a couple types of woodpeckers, plus a red-tailed hawk who drives everybody away.

Except these guys, who pick at what was dropped:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3084/img1045hk7.jpg

Maryn, who didn't think she'd enjoy this as much as she does

Fenika
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Kewl, wild turkeys :)

The snow is melting here so no photos, but I had quite the gathering of doves most the morning, and the other birds came and went as they pleased. One of the doves bumped (not hard) my freshly cleaned window--apparently I cleaned it too well! I will have to buy UV stickers if that isn't a one off incident, or just put some streaks on my windows...

Ken
02-08-2010, 10:20 PM
... spotted a pterodactyl. Fed it some people.

Fran
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
... spotted a pterodactyl. Fed it some people.

I know bird-watching can be a competitive business at times, but I'm not entirely convinced this story is true, Ken. ;)

Ken
02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
I know bird-watching can be a competitive business at times, but I'm not entirely convinced this story is true, Ken. ;)

... honest to goodness it is!
*Hoping Fran doesn't spot crossed fingers behind back.*

Tepelus
02-09-2010, 02:18 AM
I had a friend a long time ago, when we were kids, try to convince me she saw a pterodactyl. I told her it had to be a heron. So one evening, the "pterodactyl" flew overhead, and yup, it was a heron. But she had herself convinced it was an extinct dinosaur. LOL!

Fenika
02-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I saw a cowbird today. I've never seen one so close in the wild. It was a fat little thing.

Still no dinosaurs.

Ken
02-13-2010, 11:11 PM
... neat birds, mentioned in this thread. All we've presently got in my own town are some sparrows and pigeons. :rolleyes:

Shakesbear
02-14-2010, 01:18 AM
I sometimes get a flying pig...

I have a sweet robin - s/he greets me when I get home from work and follows me about the garden. I also get various tits, sparrows, wrens, chaffinches, woodpeckers collared doves and wood pigeons. I've had kestrels in the garden. And then there are the owls. Rarely seen but frequently heard - usually in the middle of the night.

Tepelus
02-14-2010, 02:41 AM
I love the sound of owls, but I don't get to hear them very often. The high trill of the screech owl gets confused by some as a tree frog call.

Shakesbear
02-14-2010, 06:13 AM
I love the sound of owls, but I don't get to hear them very often. The high trill of the screech owl gets confused by some as a tree frog call.

I think the owls round here are little owls - they make the traditional 'twooo whoooo' call. Which is why I am awake at 02.11!

Ken
02-14-2010, 06:24 AM
... birds sometimes try to scare owls off. So if you hear a ruckus, an owl may be about.

Tepelus
02-14-2010, 07:57 AM
I've seen black birds and kingbirds attacking hawks. Kingbirds are fearless.

BardSkye
02-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I get magpies, crows, sparrows, gulls, goldfinches, and robins. Once in a while I see a blue jay and there are purple martins, bats and barn swallows in the area during the summer. We have a lot of Canada geese and various ducks that winter in the stormwater pond across the road, as well as a few pelicans. Lots of Swanson hawks. I've seen one Great owl.

Oh, and we have several woodpeckers about. A very loud, raucous big one and two tiny Downy woodpeckers. I could understand it if I lived near a forest but there aren't a lot of trees around here. A few poplars in my back yard and the odd pine in various others. The nearest copse of any size is at least a half-klick away.

bettielee
02-14-2010, 10:43 AM
My kitty loves it when people go by our apartment. It flushes the doves roosting up above. I thought at first they were pigeons, because of the trilling,but I finally saw them. Doves.

We've also got the biggest robin redbreasts here. My complex has lots of those puff-ball flowers, not sure what they are, but they attract the hummingbirds. And we are one the stop for the Canadian geese. They stop and blanket the schoolyard across from me in the morning. I go by, and there's a huge flock of geese, out grazing. I don't know if its the insects or the grass they eat, but they are en masse!

Fenika
02-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Nice.

This morning we had almost an inch of snow on the ground so I had all my regulars. The doves are taking over though, making it hard for the little guys to come feed on the ground. Otoh, the doves did a great deal to trample the snow and expose the covered seeds.

I also watched a cowbird stand up to a bluejay. It was hilarious to see the big tough jay take a hop backwards. The cowbird did yield a moment later, but there was plenty for everyone.

Fenika
02-14-2010, 08:21 PM
*squeee*

I saw Purple finches this morning. 4 males, and I believe one female, though she flew off before I could get the binoculars to confirm. I haven't seen Purple finches since I was in Delaware, and even there I didn't see them most the time. They are a neat finch.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Finch/id

Shakesbear
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Two robins- the guy had his girl round for tea! They were soooo cute! Both on the bird table at the same time. At least I think it was a girl...

Ken
02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
... are the all-gray robins the females? I see the red and gray ones together, so I'm assuming the gray ones are robins. I like them better actually as they are more friendly and don't fly away when I come near.

Fenika
02-14-2010, 10:25 PM
From Cornell's All About Birds

#
Color Pattern

American Robins are gray-brown birds with warm orange underparts and dark heads. In flight, a white patch on the lower belly and under the tail can be conspicuous. Compared with males, females have paler heads that contrast less with the gray back.

Ken
02-14-2010, 10:34 PM
... interesting. So what I'm seeing aren't robins, then. Next time I spot one I'll have to take more note of what they look like and see if I can get Cornell to identify them.

Fenika
02-14-2010, 10:39 PM
My first two guesses are mocking bird or cat bird...

Shakesbear
02-14-2010, 10:40 PM
According to A Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe there is no difference between the male and female markings. They don't get the red breast until maturity though.

jilly61
02-14-2010, 10:44 PM
We went to the local bird reserve today. Apart from the finches, tits, sparrows and robins that we have at home we also saw mallards and coots. There is a lake there as well as woodland.

Medievalist
02-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Georgia must be warmer than we are now :)

OFG, that sounds nice. I forgot to mention the goldfinches here. I got them a thistle sock and they've only recently come to enjoy it (once I put out food for the other birds).

I know there are plenty of birds of prey around, but I don't see them from my window. I'd love to see some cedar waxwings again and others on your folks' lists :)

You can pretty easily hand-tame gold finches, cardinals require some work, but they too will feed from your hand if you offer them sun flower seeds.

Fenika
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
According to A Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe there is no difference between the male and female markings. They don't get the red breast until maturity though.

Your robins are cuter than our robins though. http://images.google.com/images?q=european%20robin&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

We went to the local bird reserve today. Apart from the finches, tits, sparrows and robins that we have at home we also saw mallards and coots. There is a lake there as well as woodland.

Nice. I used to see herons around the neighborhood pond before winter came. If people wouldn't mow right to the friggin edge there might be more habitat to go around.

You can pretty easily hand-tame gold finches, cardinals require some work, but they too will feed from your hand if you offer them sun flower seeds.

That is kinda neat.

maxmordon
02-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Can't believe I JUST noticed this thread!

Well, I am the recent owner of two lovebirds, before that I had a cardinal for three years and had a couple of parrots as a child. I just love birds :)

Ken
02-17-2010, 03:23 AM
... very similar coats to cat birds, but the ones I'm seeing are just about the same size as robins, only sleeker and all gray. So they couldn't be mockingbirds either which seem to have light underbellies. Good guesses, though. There's a nature preserve by me. I'm going to give them a call. They may know. Will report back. ps Sure do feel a bit foolish thinking they were robins.

Fenika
02-17-2010, 03:45 AM
Lovebirds are awesome :) What kind of wild birds are in your area, Max? I bet you get tons we don't see here, along with migratory birds that enjoy both continents.

DL Hegel
02-17-2010, 04:43 AM
http://www.maniacworld.com/meeting-between-a-cat-and-eagle.jpg

Fenika
02-17-2010, 04:46 AM
This is why cats are so much more full of awesome than dogs.

DL Hegel
02-17-2010, 04:54 AM
This is why cats are so much more full of awesome than dogs.
link (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.maniacworld.com/meeting-between-a-cat-and-eagle.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.maniacworld.com/meeting-between-a-cat-and-eagle.html&usg=__l7f-Hem3TDNTZSxBkh4LG7Nqqww=&h=275&w=379&sz=19&hl=en&start=3&itbs=1&tbnid=zGum23O4X15HVM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcat%2Band%2Beagle%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den %26sa%3DX)

DL Hegel
02-17-2010, 04:55 AM
http://alaskarainforestart.com/images/Cat%20and%20eagle%2020a%201000%20words.jpg

Fenika
02-17-2010, 04:59 AM
:ROFL: That second cat wasn't anywhere near as zen ;)

DL Hegel
02-17-2010, 05:52 AM
:ROFL: That second cat wasn't anywhere near as zen ;)
They never are;)

maxmordon
02-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Lovebirds are awesome :) What kind of wild birds are in your area, Max? I bet you get tons we don't see here, along with migratory birds that enjoy both continents.

The things is that I can't name half of the ones I have seen and the ones I have seen I don't know how they are named in English :D

The most common is this, or at least I think is this one, can't tell because there's not even equality among the names in Spanish (just see the poor Capybara that there's only one of him and has 3 names in Spanish!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiny_Cowbird

During my trip to the outback, I had the chance to see many varieties of birds, most of them several types of Herons. Notestanding was the national bird of Venezuela, the Troupial:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troupial

And a few years earlier, I had the chance to see this curious bird known in English as the Oilbird. It's quite odd because is a regular bird but lives in caves and catches bugs with shrieks just as the bats:

This is where I went:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cueva_de_los_Gu%C3%A1charos

And this is the bird, in question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oilbird

If you want to know further about birds in Venezuela, look no further than the book Birds of Venezuela written by this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Phelps,_Jr.

Fenika
02-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Oh wow, those are some neat birds. I took one look at that last bird and knew him for a nightjar. I only learned about nightjars a few years ago, but got up close to one in a zoo aviary.

Let us know what else you see, Max :D

Fenika
02-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I saw a Hairy Woodpecker enjoying my suet just now :) Or maybe it's a Downy. I never could tell the two apart properly, even with the size difference and subtle marks.

It's nice having a so many birds in my cruddy suburban yard. Hopefully some of the uneaten seeds will sprout come spring :)

maxmordon
02-20-2010, 10:34 PM
I saw a condor ripping off the eyes of a cow once, also I have rode an ostrich.

Fenika
03-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Okay, it's snowing again and I saw the oddest sparrow(?):

Black on the chin, which bled past his beak to a black stripe on his crown. His back was sparrow like. He had a forked tail. His breast was thrush like: White with black spots. He was as big as a cardinal but fat like a sparrow. What in the world is this critter? And if location helps, I am in fact in OK, despite my location saying otherwise.

SWest
03-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I would love to feed the birds...but we have too many fox squirrels...

Most bird lovers have this problem...they defeat squirrels partly by growing the actual plants that produce the seeds song birds prefer.

Read more about these plants here (http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/backyard_birds/gardening/top_plants.aspx).

:Sun:

Ken
03-20-2010, 07:26 PM
My first two guesses are mocking bird or cat bird...

... you were correct with your first guess. Lots of them about here. Friendliest birds about. As much at ease about people as pigeons. But much cooler and sightly. // Spotted a cardinal, yesterday.

Fenika
03-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Well 10 points to me, particularly since I had little to go on :D

Fenika
03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
This is driving me nuts. I can't figure out what this sparrow is.

I've also got some crows for the first time in my yard, along with the regulars. The female cardinal is hopping around with her crest feathers raised and looking fierce. The starling(s) wasted no time realizing I'd rehung some suet.

BardSkye
03-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Don't see anything in my little bird book that answers that description. (It's just a guide for the most common types, though.)

Saw what I think might be a grey-cheeked thrush a few weeks ago just outside the city. And it looks like we have nesting pairs in my area of both Downy woodpeckers and Northern Flickers. Our long-time resident robin is back; I can tell, 'cause the silly bugger starts chirping outside the bedroom window about 4am.

I tried getting a picture of the Downy last week but it didn't turn out. I'll keep trying.

Fenika
03-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Make sure to post that pic here :) Downy's are pretty awesome.

I have been enjoying watching the Starlings in particular, even if they have been stripping my suet. I might give them my chalky peanut butter and then everyone wins.

SWest
03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
This is driving me nuts. I can't figure out what this sparrow is.

Any help here:

House Sparrow and related Sparrows (http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/84/_/House_Sparrow.aspx). Look on left side of page for "Related Birds" for more photos.

If you get a snap, you can always edit out the background! ;)

Fenika
03-23-2010, 07:18 AM
AH HA! It must be this guy, or someone extremely close. He even has the ear spot that I don't think I mentioned. http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/538/_/Harriss_Sparrow.aspx

Look at his tiny little range. And there's one in MY tiny yard :D That might be worth a picture, even if the snow did melt again, leaving my yard extra fugly! I hope I see him tomorrow when it's going to be bright and sunny.

Fenika
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
I was just thinking how the sun wasn't over the house enough yet for a good picture, when guess who showed up? :) (Not that it's easy to get a good shot from my window anyways) As you can see, I clearly don't put enough food down, lol.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ApwBQj8BUuw/S6jSv26sCBI/AAAAAAAAAEY/qEg222Sku4U/Copy%20of%20P1010852.JPG

And as I got a few pics, I realized he brought a friend:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ApwBQj8BUuw/S6jSwMWpk2I/AAAAAAAAAEc/dx4FQ9nbCN4/Copy%20of%20P1010853.JPG

Yep, that's two Harris's Sparrows in the center, with a Goldfinch and a Junco nearby.

Now THIS picture could have come out stunning had I been more prepared and with a better camera, but it's still pretty neat:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ApwBQj8BUuw/S6jSwd0JxlI/AAAAAAAAAEg/fPhZLVnHotk/Copy%20of%20P1010855.JPG

Ken
03-23-2010, 06:50 PM
... first pic of the sparrow is impressive ^
You should send that in somewhere.
Day before yesterday I walked by the tamest mockingbird yet. It was perched on a bush, about head-level, and I came within 4 feet of it. Robins are fairly tame, too, though not quite as much. Compare these two species to brown doves. What a difference. Doves fly away if you get within 300 miles of them. A bit of an exageration ;-)

SWest
03-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Super-cool! Yes, see if the bird ID site is looking for more images (they only had two on file?). I love the look on his face, "May I help you?" LOL

Thanks for those!

Fenika
03-23-2010, 07:17 PM
:) But the picture is out of focus and the lighting is meh! He does have an adorable face though as he stuffs his beak. I will try and get a worthy picture though, particularly if my mom brings my old camera.

BardSkye
03-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Came across this (http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/108517692/original) little fellow today while out walking the dog. First time I've ever seen a common redpoll. In fact I had to look it up to figure out what it was.

Fenika
03-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Oh, that's a handsome fellow. :)

BardSkye
03-31-2010, 07:28 PM
When I mentioned him to the girl I carpool with, she said redpolls are constant visitors in her yard. She only lives about a kilometer down the road. Go figure.

I think I'm going to start a bird book. I'm not sure if it's me paying more attention or new birds moving into the area, but it might be fun to note down the sightings. And then I'd have an excuse to get my husband out walking with me at a local bird sanctuary. I'm hoping to reawaken his interest in photography, especially as he's retiring in January.

Fenika
03-31-2010, 10:11 PM
That sounds awesome, Bard.

You might look at ebird.com (I think I have that right). They have online checklists that connect to a big database. I used to do it, back when I was in Delaware.

Tepelus
04-01-2010, 12:20 AM
We have a goshawk that shows up once in a while. I hear its squawky voice first before I see it perched in the trees. A week or so ago, I saw two in the backyard. Maybe a pair, and will nest somewhere nearby? Be afraid squirrels...be very afraid. lol!