PDA

View Full Version : Last Man Anthology (science fiction)

Last Man
02-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Submissions to the Last Man Anthology will be accepted until filled. The anthology will be released August 30, 2010 in celebration of Mary Shelley's birthday.

All manuscripts should follow industry standards, including proper margins, 12 point font, Times New Roman, numbered pages, and free of grammatical errors. Fiction should avoid the following phrases: "it just," or "it seems," or "It just seems," or "it seemed like," or "I just." Only two exclamation points are allowed per 8,000 words.

Word count: 1500-8888 words.

All fiction will be critiqued and an explanation of acceptance or rejection will be provided. It is suggested that all writers submitting have at least taken a college level composition class within the last three years.

All fiction should focus on the theme of catastrophic literature, and present interesting and innovative ideas that lend to the conception of being the last. Show us the last man, woman, robot, alien, planet, universe. The last person to do what. The last planet to do what. Show us the end of the world. What world is up to you to decide. The characters or world must show the last of something. Stories should be science fiction in nature, although genre-bending is acceptable. No alternate history.

Email submissions to LastManAnthology[@]aol.com. Attachments in doc. or docx. Subject header should read: Last Man Anth/title/word count. Please include a bio, any creative writing or college classes you've taken, if any. In a few sentences tell us what your favorite book is and why. Lastly, in a few sentences explain why science fiction is important to you.

All chosen works will receive a published credit. Payment is $5 or a contributor's copy. Three winning selections will be awarded an honorarium prize, and receive a copy of Mary Shelley's novel, "The Last Man.

For more information visit: http://lastmananthology.weebly.com/

icenine
02-09-2010, 05:54 PM
You want stories over 1,500 words and you're only paying $5!!!
If I were you, I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting anything that's worth publishing.

johnnysannie
02-09-2010, 06:31 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting anything that's worth publishing.

$5 isn't much for over 1500 words and very strigent guidelines.

CaoPaux
02-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Ahem: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31330

jinkang
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM

I did the calculation wrong at first... (and was midly surprised)

So it comes out to 0.33 cents/words at most ( or a contributor's copy).

I might consider a submission, though, if it's legit...just for the critique.

icerose
02-10-2010, 04:07 AM
I did the calculation wrong at first... (and was midly surprised)

So it comes out to 0.33 cents/words at most ( or a contributor's copy).

I might consider a submission, though, if it's legit...just for the critique.
You did your math wrong it's .0033 cents/word at most. Just a little nit on your math. If it was .33 per word the pay would be $495 for 1500 words which is closer to playboy pay. Well close but not quite, playboy is still better.

jinkang
02-10-2010, 05:00 AM
You did your math wrong it's .0033 cents/word at most. Just a little nit on your math. If it was .33 per word the pay would be $495 for 1500 words which is closer to playboy pay. Well close but not quite, playboy is still better.

I'm just trying to get my brain wrapped around here. :)
0.33 cents/words x 1500 words = 495 cents = 4.95 dollars.
0.0033 cents/words x 1500 words = 4.95 cents = 0.00495 dollars.

Now...for Playboy, if it's $495 (I don't know...I never sold a story, let alone to the Playboy), then:
33 cents/words * 1500 words = 49500 cents = 495 dollars.

Not to say 0.33 cents/word is a great rate, but they do provide a critique...and it's a better pay than, say, Black Matrix Publishing (0.20 cents). As I said...I'm just intrigued by the critique aspect...though I'm not sure how good the critique will be. (one liner? a paragraph?)

icerose
02-10-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm just trying to get my brain wrapped around here. :)
0.33 cents/words x 1500 words = 495 cents = 4.95 dollars.
0.0033 cents/words x 1500 words = 4.95 cents = 0.00495 dollars.

Now...for Playboy, if it's $495 (I don't know...I never sold a story, let alone to the Playboy), then:
33 cents/words * 1500 words = 49500 cents = 495 dollars.

Not to say 0.33 cents/word is a great rate, but they do provide a critique...and it's a better pay than, say, Black Matrix Publishing (0.20 cents). As I said...I'm just intrigued by the critique aspect...though I'm not sure how good the critique will be. (one liner? a paragraph?)

You're adding the decimal twice, which is why your math is screwing up. By timesing 1500 by .33 you're timesing in terms of dollars. .33 cents x 1500 = 495 dollars not cents.
.0033 cents x 1500 = 4.95. You're making it too complicated.

If you were timesing by cents you would add the decimal afterward and it would be 33 x 1500 = 49500 then add the decimal = 495.00

Playboy is 2,000 dollars per article.

Unimportant
02-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Icerose, it's your math that is screwing up. 0.33 dollars = $0.33 = thirty-three cents. 0.33 cents = $0.0033 = 1/3 cent. I'm afraid that jinkang is correct, and you are the one who is not paying attention to units. 0.33 tons is not the same as 0.33 pounds; 0.33 dollars is not the same as 0.33 cents.

Also, as CauPaux has noted, the sticky at the top of this subforum clearly states that members SHOULD NOT CRITIQUE PAY RATES. Submit, or do not submit. Your choice.

icerose
02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
It wasn't a criticism of payrates, it was a criticism of the math. .33 cents per word it would only take 15 words to = 5 dollars roughly. So the pay rate is .0033 per word. Again, not a criticism of the pay rate, it was just a correction of the math. I get that it's 1/3 of a cent per word. I get it. And what I meant by it being calculated in dollars is that the decimal is already there. I'm looking at it with a dollar sign on the front. I don't know how it would calculated otherwise. The cents is there simply to specify it's money we're talking about.

Unimportant
02-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Icerose, I'm sorry, but no. You're not getting it.

0.33 cents is not 0.33 dollars. Again, please note your units.

$0.33 = 0.33 dollars = 33 cents

0.33 cents = one third of one cent = $0.0033

0.33 cents and 0.33 dollars are two very different amounts of money.

Five dollars is five hundred cents. If you get paid that for 1500 words you are getting one cent for every three words, or one-third of one cent per word. One third of one cent per word = 0.33 cents per word.

You did your math wrong it's .0033 cents/word at most

So, again, it's 0.33 cents, or 0.0033 dollars, or $0.0033, per word. Not 0.0033 cents per word.

editing to add: There is no such thing as ($0.33 cents). You have ($0.33) or (0.33 cents). $ is a unit. Cents is a unit. They are two different units. You can't have two different units applied to teh same number. Or, at least, if you do, you'll confuse the hell out of everyone and they will all argue with you. QED.

Also, sorry, my bad; the "don't complain about the pay" was aimed at icenine and johnnysannie.

icerose
02-11-2010, 04:33 AM
I've never seen it calculated that way. I've always seen it calculated that .20 cents per word was $0.20 per word and that the cents was merely there to indicate that it was money and not anything else. Now I gotta research this...

jinkang
02-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I've never seen it calculated that way. I've always seen it calculated that .20 cents per word was $0.20 per word and that the cents was merely there to indicate that it was money and not anything else.

I believe if you go to Black Matrix Pub, they actually mention one-fifth of a cent as their pay rate: "We pay one-fifth of a cent per word on acceptance. Payment is for First Serial Rights."

So I don't think it's unheard of. As for this particular zine, their pay amount is 'set'...while their words acceptance varies...so there really isn't a pay rate..

Anyway, back to my question--does anyone know the editor/publisher well?

If I'm to submit mostly for the critiques, I don't want to submit for a line or two of "good luck in some other place," or "your writing wasn't quite there yet," or "it didn't grab me." (seems to be a trend in my rejections...)

I actually would like to know 'what' to improve.

(note: I'm on critters but it also wouldn't hurt to hear back from actual editors about what's wrong with my piece.)

icerose
02-11-2010, 06:10 PM
No the payrate is certainly not unheard of. I have just never seen .20 cents referred to as 1/8th of a penny, but rather means $0.20 is all.

And yeah, by all means submit if you're interested, it's still paid work.

Unimportant
02-11-2010, 08:52 PM
If they say that they will provide critiques, that's specific (and unusual) enough that I think it's a safe bet they'll give you more details than "it didn't quite grab me". However, I personally don't put a lot of credence in an editor who equates knowledge of the craft with "have at least taken a college level composition class within the last three years."

Jstwatchin
02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
*ponders*

I wonder if having taught one would count as well...

Last Man
02-11-2010, 11:33 PM
This post will hopefully clarify some of the questions posed. Regarding the editing/critique. It is a line edit, with commentary. Part of putting the project together is to cultivate, work with, and support writers at all levels.

As far as our inquiry about an English comp. or Creative Writing class, we're looking to open the dialogue with writers to find out what's important to them, and what they've done in their careers to support their craft.

Editors will be announced in the coming weeks.

I include this update regarding acceptance. If you have questions, feel free to email directly, LastManAnthology@aol.com.

One last comment, if writers don't have anything specific to catastrophic lit, we hope that the idea inspires or challenges them to write something daring and new.

Sincerely,

Hunter Liguore

First phase: all submissions will be reviewed and critiqued, upon receipt, by the Editor-in-Chief. Writers will be notified if their work has been accepted to the second phase. Works that don't make it to the next round will receive a detailed line-edit, and critique, at no cost.

Second phase: a panel of professional editors /about.html (http://absolutewrite.com/about.html) will read all second phase submissions. Editors will be looking for work that exemplifies the essence of catastrophic fiction. Writers will be notified upon acceptance to the final anthology. Content will be edited for publication, with writers' permission.

Third phase: all final submissions will be read by a panel of judges (to be announced). Three honorary winners will be awarded a new copy of Mary Shelley's novel, The Last Man.

jinkang
02-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Thank you very much, Hunter, for your explanation.

I think I'll go read 'The Last Man' first. :)

Ken
03-13-2010, 02:08 AM
... re: Playboy.
They stopped accepting submissions back in 2006 or so. A shame. Nice chunk of change that $2000 :-P

jinkang
03-13-2010, 09:06 AM
[off topic]
Probably because Playboy isn't doing so well nowadays. I heard they're selling tickets to their 'parties', instead of sending out invitations.
[/off topic]

icenine
03-16-2010, 12:32 PM
I see from their website they've now increased the pay rate a bit. It's a start.

jinkang
03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I hope they're still doing the critique though...and not skimping on it for the increased pay. :)

Dorothea
05-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Playboy is 2,000 dollars per article.

I want to write for Playboy!

Teehee. :P

johnzakour
05-16-2010, 09:47 PM
I see from their website they've now increased the pay rate a bit. It's a start.

Yes they raised the rate to a penny a word (at most) still not enough to count as a professional publication by sf writers guild, but still it is cash and publication...

jinkang
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
And critiques. Let's not forget that. (granted, not all critiques are created equal)

MrFrankenstein
05-18-2010, 06:01 AM
The trouble is that many anthology creators see it as a license to make free money.
They get an advance of anywhere from $20 000 up to $80 000 from a publisher, and then pay x number of desperate writers - what? $5 a piece? And thereafter, 'generously' hand over a copy of the completed anthology to each writer. And gosh - a critique? Excuse me for not being impressed.

I know of at least one instance where an anthology creator received a $50 000 advance, and paid their contributors nothing - and yet seemed quite content about this behavior being known, as if this vulture-like action was somehow 'normal' and acceptable.

Anthology makers, generally speaking, are getting fat profitable advances - and preying on desperate writers who want to be published.

I think its fitting that anthology makers scraping for 'free' content deserve to be at least complained about - if not outright banned from posting their nonsense.
Its a disgusting predatory practice.

Polenth
05-23-2010, 01:04 PM
The trouble is that many anthology creators see it as a license to make free money.
They get an advance of anywhere from $20 000 up to $80 000 from a publisher, and then pay x number of desperate writers - what? $5 a piece? And thereafter, 'generously' hand over a copy of the completed anthology to each writer. And gosh - a critique? Excuse me for not being impressed.

I know of at least one instance where an anthology creator received a $50 000 advance, and paid their contributors nothing - and yet seemed quite content about this behavior being known, as if this vulture-like action was somehow 'normal' and acceptable.

Anthology makers, generally speaking, are getting fat profitable advances - and preying on desperate writers who want to be published.

I know the example you're talking about, but this anthology isn't like that. It's a typical hobby project anthology. There's no big advance from a major publisher. Just someone who decided it'd be great to make an anthology, and is paying for it out of their own money.

Such anthologies may not be the best career move for writers, but it's unfair to suggest the people producing them are going to get rich at the expense of others. Most won't make back the money they spent on producing it in the first place.

CarrieAnnE
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
There usually isn't much money in anthologies or short stories these days. Most add to an anthology for the lovely feeling they get from being part of something. Personally, I've been in two anthologies for no monetary gain for any of those involved. It was purely an act of love for all of us. The fact that one would offer 5 whole dollars, or even a copy in exchange for your prose, is an act of faith that someday, someway, they may get that back by way of one or two sales. It probably still wouldn't cover the cost of printing.
The true reward of such a sale is actually having a copy for your children to destroy in their zest to read it everywhere they go. :) It's an awesome feeling that money just can't buy! :)

luvs,
Carrie:)

icenine
06-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Check this link: http://anthologynewsandreviews.blogspot.com/

Newguy1428
07-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Whew! I just checked the site today. You know that $5.00 payment on acceptence everybody was griping about?
There's now a $5.00 submission fee.
$0.00 payment if published.

jinkang
07-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Whew! I just checked the site today. You know that $5.00 payment on acceptence everybody was griping about?
There's now a $5.00 submission fee.
$0.00 payment if published.

Umm... citation please? I checked the site http://www.swordandsagapress.com/submissions.html but I didn't find anything like submission fees, and the pay rate was still $5.00, not $0.00.

CaoPaux
07-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Probably talking about the contest: http://www.swordandsagapress.com/contest.html