The Last Airbender (2010)

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, kids. So with the release of the Super Bowl TV spot for M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender (adaptation of the TV series, Avatar: The Last Airbender), I thought it'd be fun to generate some early discussion about expectations for the film now that we've seen some actual footage.

Here's the spot, if you want to see it: http://us.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1933509657/

The teaser trailer was not very promising, but this does make it look a lot better. I'm still taking issue with some of their casting choices (the grave miscasting of Katara and Sokka...ugh), but I have a little more hope than I did before. It looks like it will at least be stylish, if nothing else.

And what's with epic movies have rock music in their trailers these days? I do not like.

Your thoughts?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And in case anyone hadn't heard what went horribly, horribly wrong in casting Airbender...the short version is the director originally cast three white kids to play two of the main good guys and the villain, who are all Asian. (and yes, the story takes place in a fantasy world, but a diverse fantasy world inspired by various Asian cultures, in which most characters aren't white) Then the villian was recast as an Asian kid:

n2104488_31951929_1540063.jpg

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would categorize Zuko as a villain. Antogonist, sure. But not an outright villain. But originally four white actors were cast. Jesse McCartney was originally asked to play the role of Zuko, but turned it down due to scheduling conflicts. So we got Dev Patel instead.

You also don't really get to see it from these clips, but allegedly the entire Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation cast is Asian, fwiw.

At least Noah Ringer (Aang) is half-Asian. I hope he has some acting chops. In all we've seen so far he seems so serious. And Aang...is not very serious.

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
Avatar was definitely my favorite cartoon ever. <3

I remember when I watched when I was 12 and 13 and people telling me I looked like Katara (I would get absurdly excited lol) and now people will see her as something completely different. Jesse McCartney was only changed after the uproar. The casting did tick me off. If they were so afraid of making the entire cast Asian, they at least had a chance to have a multi-cultural cast.

It's Hollywood, maybe if it does poorly I can remake it when I get old enough (I've always liked directing).

Oh and Wavy Blue, that picture is really pretty. I was always on the fence with Zutara...

Edit: In the video that Max linked, at 0:09 look in the upper left corner...Appa!

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I didn't hate the series. It hit when my kids were watching all animation all the time, so there are very few cartoons that don't make me run screaming from the room. I am :Headbang: at casting white kids in patently Asian roles. What is this, the 40s? Hollywood firmly has its head up its anal passage.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Considering that Avatar is/was, from the start, a white American "coopting" of anime tropes, I'm hard-pressed to have an issue with the casting...

tarcanus

Lord of the Tarcans
Registered
Reaction score
And in case anyone hadn't heard what went horribly, horribly wrong in casting Airbender...the short version is the director originally cast three white kids to play two of the main good guys and the villain, who are all Asian. (and yes, the story takes place in a fantasy world, but a diverse fantasy world inspired by various Asian cultures, in which most characters aren't white) Then the villian was recast as an Asian kid:

n2104488_31951929_1540063.jpg

How dare they cast my Indian stunt double without my permission!! (Yes, I look just like that fellow.)

OT: I never got to see the TV show, but it always interested me. I will most likely see this movie.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I really, really, really hope this is awesome. I adored the cartoon. I also hope the humor isn't completely cut out of it, as that's what made it so appealing to me: equal doses of humor and drama. I choose to believe Shyamalan can do this. I say, take it back to awesome, mister. You've done it before; you can do it again. Don't let me down.

ETA:
I'm not sure I would categorize Zuko as a villain.

Agreed, although I'm wondering whether they'll even bother to turn him around in a two-ish hour film. I hope they do. His and Aang's character growth were, to me, the two most interesting parts of the show. I am also hoping Toph makes an appearance, and I'm fearful they left her out. She was my favorite character.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love love love Avatar and don't know about this movie. I'm hoping it's going to be good but I really don't like like M Night Shamaylan and hope he didn't ruin it, I don't know, fingers crossed

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I really, really, really hope this is awesome. I adored the cartoon. I also hope the humor isn't completely cut out of it, as that's what made it so appealing to me: equal doses of humor and drama. I choose to believe Shyamalan can do this. I say, take it back to awesome, mister. You've done it before; you can do it again. Don't let me down.

ETA:

Agreed, although I'm wondering whether they'll even bother to turn him around in a two-ish hour film. I hope they do. His and Aang's character growth were, to me, the two most interesting parts of the show. I am also hoping Toph makes an appearance, and I'm fearful they left her out. She was my favorite character.

About Toph, I don't think would be right if she appeared in the first movie, I mean, I think we only saw, what? a hand? from Gollum until movie two of Lord of the Rings, earlier would have been, well, cheesy.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
About Toph, I don't think would be right if she appeared in the first movie, I mean, I think we only saw, what? a hand? from Gollum until movie two of Lord of the Rings, earlier would have been, well, cheesy.

Are you saying they're planning a series?
I could live with that. :D

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Are you saying they're planning a series?
I could live with that. :D

I think it's one of those "if the first one does well, we'll do the rest" sort of thing. And let's hope it's goes well, because that finale would be just awesome on film. Though there's a lot packed into season three. I wonder if they'd put it all in one movie.

One thing is bothering me greatly, though....

Where are Katara's hair loopies????

ETA: Oh, and those Air Temples in the trailer? Awesome.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After I logged off last night I was wondering about how they were going to make that whole series into one movie. Now you guys answered before I asked. :)
If the first movie is as good as the series I'll be real happy with a series. I hope I hope.

But I must complain about Katara having no hair loopies. Her loopies were mentioned more than once

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Zuko comes pretty close to a villain in the first series, imo. There's hints he might come around, but for the most part, he's after Aang and will hurt others to get to him. (btw, does anyone else think Zuko in the film looks more like he got a bruise on his face than a scar? Or is that just me?)

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this. I got introduced to Avatar over Clarion West. That was pretty much how we spent any free time we got (and sometimes free time we didn't have. ^_^) I'm willing to reserve judgement on the casting choices until I see the film as a whole. And who knows? Maybe Katara will put her hair up in loopies in the second film.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree Katrina, the scar looks like a black eye that is almost healed. It was so prominent in the series. By the looks of it in the movie, if you didn't know Zuko had the scar you'd think he'd just been punched-last week

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Zuko comes pretty close to a villain in the first series, imo. There's hints he might come around, but for the most part, he's after Aang and will hurt others to get to him.

To me, I can't classify Zuko as a villain because his motives are not evil. He wants to capture the avatar...but why? Because he wants to regain his honor and feel like he's worth something, especially in the eyes of his father. I think a true villain (like Zhao and Ozai) are motivated by things which are evil, like world domination and power, but Zuko isn't motivated by these things. That's how I see it.

On a completely unrelated note, I hope Teo is in this movie. I think he's a great character.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I agree Katrina, the scar looks like a black eye that is almost healed. It was so prominent in the series. By the looks of it in the movie, if you didn't know Zuko had the scar you'd think he'd just been punched-last week

For some reason now I hear the Zuko from the abridged series whining.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
This movie and casting makes me very sad. Such a wonderful opportunity lost for many actors of colour (to play lead roles).

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason now I hear the Zuko from the abridged series whining.

"Uncle, someone opened an iceburg pinata and they're not sharing the chocolate with me and I really want the chocolate so I'm going to go get the chocolate and if you don't let me, I'll hate you forever!"

And Jewish Iroh.

Darn, those are hilarious...