PDA

View Full Version : Do you have plants in your writing space?

Brad
02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Plants are great. I just watched this TED talk called "How to Grow Your Own Fresh Air" where this facility manager installed over a thousand plants in their office and saw lots of health benefits and productivity gains. I I wrote a quick blurb about it here (http://www.wordadaywonder.com/verdant-building/):

"Housing 1,200 plants for its 300 occupants, the Paharpur Business Center of New Delhi is one of the world’s most verdant buildings. The Indian government declared it the “healthiest building in New Delhi”, citing a study which found that its occupants have 52% less eye irritation, 34% fewer respiratory symptoms, 24% fewer headaches, and 20% greater productivity than those in other buildings."

The plants were Areca Palm, Mother-in-law's tongue, and Money Plant. You can get Mother-in-law's Tongue for about 10 bucks at Home Depot - I did.

Wayne K
02-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Yes I do. Her name is Audrey (little shop of horrors take) and she grew from a seed I found. :D

Sophia
02-06-2010, 10:09 PM
I remember that talk. I thought it sounded wonderful, although I didn't think there was a practical way of using them in a home, for example, as you needed something like 4 waist-high or shoulder-high plants per person per X cubic metres (I can't remember what the X value was). I'd love to be in that office, though!

Matera the Mad
02-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I write in a dark corner, but there are plants survivng here and there where the sun creeps through the dirty windows. I was once a plantaholic, a collector, a master of the art. Now only the tough and undemanding survive.

mscelina
02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Nope. I try not to kill anything in my study except characters.

Shadow_Ferret
02-06-2010, 10:22 PM
No plants. I have a black thumb.

Tepelus
02-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I have a peace lily, a hoya and a cactus, and a pot with a half dormant begonia sitting on my book case. I have a few more plants in the house, but I can't keep many, the dang cats keep chewing on them. They don't touch the geranium. I should grow more geraniums. I'm more of an outdoor plant person than indoor. Mainly due to the cats.

csdaley
02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Nope, I hate the constant reminder that I am a death dealer to the world of green.

Polenth
02-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I have a weeping fig. Good for the air... not so good for the skin if any of the sap gets on you.

willietheshakes
02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
I have a grow-op in the basement - does that count?

Smish
02-06-2010, 11:05 PM
I used to have plants. Now I have a cat...

Polenth
02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I used to have plants. Now I have a cat...

Get a weeping fig. The cat won't try to bite that more than once.

Or a pineapple. That was the meanest plant I ever owned. It'd spike me when I least expected it. They tell people growing the tops of pineapples is a fun project for kids... those people either hate kids or they've never tried it.

BigWords
02-06-2010, 11:14 PM
My plants are all in the greenhouse under nice hot little lights. :D

'Cept for when I need a smoke.

Brad
02-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Wow, 11 replies already? To everyone with a black thumb: I would recommend the Mother-in-Law's Tongue. I just pour water or tea on it every few days and it hasn't showed any signs of dying over the past few weeks. It gets minimal sunlight. It may not purify all of the air, but it definitely helps - I think the sticker on it (tag I mean) said that 1 plant would effectively clean air for 100 sq. feet of living space. So this one should pretty much take care of my room.

Wicked
02-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Do the silk plants in my tarantula tanks count?

I like carnivorous plants, but my track record with them is dismal. This spring I'm going to try and find a Touch-Me-Not plant (Mimosa pudica).

There are two very hardy pothos vines in my kitchen. If I had room, I'd bring them in here.

PoppysInARow
02-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I have a garden sitting right outside my door that I`ve never really done anything with. But this year I plan on really working with it. :D I need something to pour attention on besides my cat. I think she`s getting sick of me...

Jamesaritchie
02-07-2010, 04:06 AM
I love plants, but not in my office.

Linda Adams
02-07-2010, 04:28 AM
No plants in the writing space. I need every bit of space for vertical filing and stacking I can get. Have two plants elsewhere, though.

AnonymousWriter
02-07-2010, 04:37 AM
No plants in here.

icerose
02-07-2010, 05:51 AM
I love plants don't have any right now, we live in a dark very small apartment. :( Emphasis on small.

Stlight
02-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I've got six boston ferns about 15 years old. I almost killed them after repotting this year because I didn't realize how much light the new blinds cut out. Fixed that.

I've got five avocados that I grew from seeds. Two have leaves all up and down them, one has a bunch of leaves at the top, and two have 3-4 leaves at the top. Guess they are from different places. The ones with few leaves like to turn the leaves brown drop them and just stand there all nude stem for a few weeks before getting more leaves.

I've got green beans planted in two pots, because the pots were nice, I'd tried to grow something else and it didn't work. I may get the MIL Tongue for one pot. Current cat doesn't graze the way the previous ones did. The reason I got Boston Fern was it didn't make the cats sick, they grazed a little, didn't bother the ferns. Hanging baskets, don't make it too easy.

Rowan
02-07-2010, 05:09 PM
I write in the basement -- too cold for plants. Have many upstairs though. :)

backslashbaby
02-07-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm crazy for gardening outside, but I can't grow things inside. Well, I never tried much after running into the animal problem.

My dogs don't listen when I'm gone about plants. They think I won't notice all the disappearing greenery. They leave big pots of just dirt, still upright :D What? There was nothing in that pot! It looks the same to me...

Ms Hollands
02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I have a dead xmas tree covered in snow outside my window...does that count? Actually, I do have some leafy thing that a friend gave me a few years ago. It had a flower in the centre that fell off after about two weeks and it hasn't flowered since. I have wandering Jew in the hallway and that is one hardy plant: overwatering, underwatering, cold, heat, lack of sunlight, bright sunlight, and it's still growing!

Phaeal
02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I have lots of plants (pine trees, pin oaks, pepperberry bushes, reeds, water plantains, various wild flowers, wild mint and thyme, even poison ivy) when I write outside at Seymour Pond in Harwich. That's why it's my fav place. :D

HighDesertBrat
02-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Depends on what cafe/truck stop/waffle house/coffee shop/deli I'm writing in at the time. In my office, not a single one. Lots of plants outside though -- upside down tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, more herbs than I can list, two pistachio nut trees, prickly pear cacti beyond my tolerance for counting, several rosebushes, globe willow bushes, willow trees. Since it has to be below 40 degrees before I close my windows, the outdoor ones probably do me just as much good as any indoors would do.

brainstorm77
02-08-2010, 10:16 PM
No. My cat might eat them.

Ken
02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
... an artificial one.

BenPanced
02-09-2010, 06:02 AM
No. My cat might eat them.
Ditto.

And I have no room for one, even I'd wanted one. Just enough room for my work, my computer, and the coffee. Y'know. The important stuff.

Shara
02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't do plants. Firstly, I seem to be allergic to all forms of foliage.

Secondly, green things require too much high maintenance. They die when they are near me. Probably because I forget to water them or give them sunlight and such things...

Some people find gardening relaxing and therapeutic. I am not one of these people.

Shara

anotherday12
02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Nope. No real plants. I would forget the poor thing and it would die.

Do fake plants count though? If so, I have three of them in my room. I don't have to remember about them at all except to clean them from time to time.

AngelicaRJackson
02-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Am I the only one that read this subject line as "Do you have pants in your writing space?" when I skimmed through the threads? :e2smack:

As to PLANTS, I cannot seem to keep houseplants alive. My outdoor garden (we're on an acre) thrives with benign neglect, but the houseplants don't get the benefit of occasional rain. I think I'm so paranoid about overwatering the houseplants that I let them get too parched. And yes, I've even killed cacti and other varieties that are supposed to be unkillable (spider plants!).

I did find some nice artificial ferns and those perk up the corners of the house, but none in my office.

Stlight
02-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Mother in law's tongue (snake plant) from I think Drs Foster & Smith website poisonous plants - causes mouth swelling, can cause staggering and collapse.

I don't know whether this is for cats or dogs or both. We have one of each so I didn't make a note of that when I printed it off.