writing a short bio for a job app

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, mods, feel free to move, pitch, etc.

I need to write a brief bio for a job application in lieu of a resume. I'm assuming this should be written in the first person (since it might look a little weird or conceited to talk about oneself in the third person). What do you writerly folks think?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel so bad this has been sitting here for such a long time. I think the crickets were gettng bored.

I would do it in first person. Yep. First person.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Argh. I'm trying to do this just now. Definitely first person. Start with lots of short, positive statements then weave them together. I have many strengths. I am superwoman. I deserve this job because I kick ass. That's the vibe you're going for, but I'm sure you know all this.

I'm trying to get a teaching job with absolutely no teaching experience and I'm try to crowbar the experience I DO have to make it fit. It's the most creative creative writing I've ever done. ;)

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I feel so bad this has been sitting here for such a long time. I think the crickets were gettng bored.

I would do it in first person. Yep. First person.

Probably should have made the title into a question rather than a statement...

That's one big "duh" for me today. Hopefully, this means I've met my "duh" quota for this 24 hr time frame, but *sigh* you never know.

:)

Thanks for the reply!

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Argh. I'm trying to do this just now. Definitely first person. Start with lots of short, positive statements then weave them together. I have many strengths. I am superwoman. I deserve this job because I kick ass. That's the vibe you're going for, but I'm sure you know all this.

I'm trying to get a teaching job with absolutely no teaching experience and I'm try to crowbar the experience I DO have to make it fit. It's the most creative creative writing I've ever done. ;)

LOL, I was just thinking the same about my own little "project".

Ugh, why can't I just send in a resume? Why do I have to play the role of my own personal biographer? Honestly, even I'm not that much of a narcissist.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably should have made the title into a question rather than a statement...

That's one big "duh" for me today. Hopefully, this means I've met my "duh" quota for this 24 hr time frame, but *sigh* you never know.

:)

Thanks for the reply!

It worked either way especially for me because i'm not usually the one who get to be the first one to give sound advise. :D

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I was just thinking the same about my own little "project".

Ugh, why can't I just send in a resume? Why do I have to play the role of my own personal biographer? Honestly, even I'm not that much of a narcissist.

I'm convinced the whole process is designed to be as torturous as possible whilst staying just this >| side of the Geneva Convention. Somebody somewhere has the job of coming up with as many hoops as possible for people to jump through in order to 'prove their worth'. A lot of companies here want an HND (Higher National Diploma - roughly the equivalent of two years of university) for the most basic admin jobs. I can type and I know the alphabet so I can file stuff. How much more do I need? Ah, I need the magic experience. That's a whole other vicious circle. Also because the minimum wage doesn't kick in here until you're 21, most businesses hire schoolies to do their admin so they don't have to pay them properly.

I don't know what employment agencies are like over there, but here some of them have been banned from using the government-run Jobcentres because they were advertising jobs that didn't exist just to boost the numbers on their books. I'm 32, I was ill for three years and I've had a succession of temporary jobs or been made redundant through no fault of my own. I've gone on courses, I've done unpaid voluntary work, I've done everything I can to find work and nobody's interested. It sucks, honey. It totally sucks, and I wish you all the best. Because despite all that, I'm hoping I'll find a teaching job and end up doing something I love, and I hope that for you too. :Hug2:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I've found the ones where I didn't care for one reason or another where the ones where I rocked out and blew it all away.

Any time I've ever cared a bunch, I've angsted myself to the point of suckitude.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I'm convinced the whole process is designed to be as torturous as possible whilst staying just this >| side of the Geneva Convention. Somebody somewhere has the job of coming up with as many hoops as possible for people to jump through in order to 'prove their worth'. A lot of companies here want an HND (Higher National Diploma - roughly the equivalent of two years of university) for the most basic admin jobs. I can type and I know the alphabet so I can file stuff. How much more do I need? Ah, I need the magic experience. That's a whole other vicious circle. Also because the minimum wage doesn't kick in here until you're 21, most businesses hire schoolies to do their admin so they don't have to pay them properly.

I don't know what employment agencies are like over there, but here some of them have been banned from using the government-run Jobcentres because they were advertising jobs that didn't exist just to boost the numbers on their books. I'm 32, I was ill for three years and I've had a succession of temporary jobs or been made redundant through no fault of my own. I've gone on courses, I've done unpaid voluntary work, I've done everything I can to find work and nobody's interested. It sucks, honey. It totally sucks, and I wish you all the best. Because despite all that, I'm hoping I'll find a teaching job and end up doing something I love, and I hope that for you too. :Hug2:

Employment agencies contract directly with Satan himself. I don't care about the name of the country in which they elect to open their storefront: They are the a blight on humanity only the King of All Evils could concoct.

Does that sum it up?

I wish you the best in your job search. I'm looking for something virtual, because I haven't been working for a while now, myself. Mainly, because I simply couldn't handle this pregnancy and still be a program service provider for disabled children. That, I had to leave up to more robust individuals.

Yeah, experience, and everything else. Good lord, things are competitive out there right now. I just graduated, but I'm not exactly flying high on experience for someone who's pushing 29. Most of my experience resides on the home front with some volunteer and freelance work scattered in between.

:Shrug:

I'm still trying to apply. I don't expect much, though. Being a virtual job on top of everything else... it's a long shot...