Contact famous writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
I grew up in Idaho, not too far from Ketchum, where Earnest Hemmingway spent his last few years (and where he took his own life). Locals said he was a regular at a couple of the bars there. Of course, I wasn't allowed in those bars (being all of five years old).

Are there still places where the writing illuminati hang out--where a guy could offer to buy a drink or ten in exchange for some sage advice and even a referral to an agent (LOL)?

I suppose nobody has listed phone numbers or addresses these days, but have any of you made contact with some of your literary heroes?

Or are there just so many hangers-on that these folks live like hermits, sequestered months on end in their book-lined studies?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My impression is that most writers would be put off by those who seek their guidance, advice, mentoring, and professional referrals for the price of a few drinks. After all, the number of aspiring authors is legion, and the author's free time his/her own. My guess would be that they'd rather talk baseball or politics than shop.

I do know someone online, a screenwriter, whose non-writing interest put him in the presence of a director whose work he greatly admired. They worked together several times a month for over a year, and my acquaintance never once mentioned he wrote screenplays. Only when he and the director stopped for a beer after working together--not the first time--and the director asked what he did for a living did he say he was a writer. He did not ask for any advice, a reading, a referral, or anything else--but he got all three.

Maryn, who would buy a famous author a drink and talk baseball, gladly

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
A very famous author lives in my town. I waited on her table many, many times, as a matter of fact. Folks have to eat ;) I don't think people around here are ever surprised to see her, though, because she's lived here for so long. If anyone ever wanted to chat with her, they should look up her projects and volunteer to work on them, btw.

I've met a ton of people like that. Does nobody think of volunteer work? Well, it's an easy secret, then :)

I think conferences or workshops are always among the best places to meet people in many professions. My only writer's conference so far, an AW member and I had a great solo lunch with a bestselling author. Really awesome :)

ETA: Actually, we did talk shop, too. It depends on the chemistry, always. Some folks, you may be bugging so step back, others click fine with you. They are all just people :)

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
You'll probably get far better advice by reading the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim thread and all the stickies in SYW.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
I get all my advice from 'famous' and not so 'famous' writers (and agents) from twitter. The majority of them are insightful, helpful and if you don't badger them, willing to answer a stray question or two. They generally post helpful links or ideas anyway, so you can pick up a lot without having to invade their virtual privacy.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I'm convinced famous authors hang on forums, just like this one. But not using their real name. You might already have gotten some advice from a famous author and not know about it.

Wayne R.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm convinced famous authors hang on forums, just like this one. But not using their real name. You might already have gotten some advice from a famous author and not know about it.

Most probably so. On the Michael Slade/Special X forum, the man himself once mentioned that he was a member on one of his favourite author's forums (sorry, can't recall which). Advice is a different thing from chitchat, though. I think this came up once, and there are some very good reasons for a published author not to get too involved in other people's manuscripts.
Occasionally there's a gem of an anecdote, good general advice or cautionary tale that comes out in these discussions, so it's still worth being a member.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in Idaho, not too far from Ketchum, where Earnest Hemmingway spent his last few years (and where he took his own life). Locals said he was a regular at a couple of the bars there. Of course, I wasn't allowed in those bars (being all of five years old).
Cool, another Idaho native! I was born in Rexburg and did a lot of my growing up in the Driggs/Tetonia area.

Are there still places where the writing illuminati hang out--where a guy could offer to buy a drink or ten in exchange for some sage advice and even a referral to an agent (LOL)?

My guess is...everywhere. Most writers blend into crowds really well, and nobody knows they're writers unless they know the guy personally. And most established writers dislike being approached for tips or referrals. Nobody would refer anybody to his agent unless he could vouch for the quality of the work, and the only tip that counts is "write every day."

I suppose nobody has listed phone numbers or addresses these days, but have any of you made contact with some of your literary heroes?

Yes.

I was raised to say "thank you," so whenever I finish reading an unfamiliar writer's work that I really enjoyed, I always take the time to contact them via web sites or blogs and say thanks. It's always a sincere thanks, too.

Often, these "thanks" notes have led to long strings of conversation. I've had lengthy email exchanges with a certain famous insomniac sci-fi writer who was also up and on Gmail at 3:00 a.m. -- and found funny little things I have in common with several literary writers and one well-known fantasy writer, and up-and-coming genre authors who nobody has heard of...yet. They're all equally amazing to me, if they managed to write something that really grabbed me and made me want to tell them how their work touched me. That's a rare thing.

In my experience, writers are friendly, fun people who love to talk about their passions. Always, these conversations started as a "thanks for writing such a great book/story -- I really enjoyed it" from me. I think everybody appreciates thanks, and loves to know that their work has made a difference in another person's life.

However, I would never presume to ask for tips or referrals. Chatting about fun stuff is one thing, but assuming they'll be willing to help me with my career is too off-putting for me to think about. I can get where they are the same way they did it: Hard work, research, taking risks, and persistence.

Or are there just so many hangers-on that these folks live like hermits, sequestered months on end in their book-lined studies?

Haha -- no. Professional writers are all over the place, leading nice, normal social lives with their friends and families. They're probably sitting at the next booth in the restaurant, perusing the shelves at book stores right next to you, and taking too long to write a check at the grocery store while you wait impatiently.

They aren't different or special or mystical or shining with glory -- they're just hard workers.

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I was raised to say "thank you," so whenever I finish reading an unfamiliar writer's work that I really enjoyed, I always take the time to contact them via web sites or blogs and say thanks. It's always a sincere thanks, too.

I have a favorite book that I want to write the author and tell them just how much I enjoyed it. Sadly, I can't find a website or blog or anything about them. My desperate attempt will be to try to find something through the publisher but they are also small. *flails*

I'll keep trying, though, because it's important to me to let the author know how much I loved the story and the character.

/derail

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
This, but not a thousand times. A few times.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm convinced famous authors hang on forums, just like this one. But not using their real name.

Or using their real names. Nora Roberts (the biggest-selling US romance writer) is a beloved commenter on romance boards under her own name.

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
Years ago I attended a conference in Grand Forks, ND, because Raymond Carver was to be there. We had a mutual mentor in John Gardner, who had published my first story. Carver only made it for the last day. I finally found him at a party, with his coat on and anxious to leave. When I mentioned my small connection with Gardner, Carver took off his coat, told his ride to wait and talked with me for ten minutes. Very cool man...

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have received an email from Charlaine Harris. I sent her an email through her website asking how she keeps her storylines straight and how she goes about editing. She replied with a great email.

Midnight Star

We are once in a lifetime.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been able to contact an author, but that's because my friend personally knows him.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

It's actually pretty easy to meet famous writers, if you live where they do, but I would never try to meet one for the sake of getting advice or a referal. It doesn't take much of that attitude to turn a writer into a hermit.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I've also been in contact with a mid list romance author through her website. She's been great for answering questions about writing etc...

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Or using their real names. Nora Roberts (the biggest-selling US romance writer) is a beloved commenter on romance boards under her own name.

She's got a hide like a rhinocerous - when the "Harlequin Horizons" thing first hit, she posted at the Smart Bitches Trashy Books thread, and came under quite a bit of fire from someone who thinks NY publishing is materially different with fewer opportunities than it was when Ms. Roberts started writing.

"La Nora" gave as good as she got, too.

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
She's got a hide like a rhinocerous - when the "Harlequin Horizons" thing first hit, she posted at the Smart Bitches Trashy Books thread, and came under quite a bit of fire from someone who thinks NY publishing is materially different with fewer opportunities than it was when Ms. Roberts started writing.

"La Nora" gave as good as she got, too.

I love her for that alone. The Horizons thing made me cringe.

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I should also point out that working in a book store is a great way to meet local writers. We all love books, right? I met Greg Bear and Susan Wiggs while I was a temp at a book store. They were both really cool.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com

Oh, it's here! :D

Also, I've emailed a few cool writers, who were really kind about steering me in the right direction.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I should also point out that working in a book store is a great way to meet local writers. We all love books, right? I met Greg Bear and Susan Wiggs while I was a temp at a book store. They were both really cool.

Greg Bear!?

Very envious. Love his stuff.

Years ago I wrote to a writer about her first book (great book, btw..English Civil War historical).

We exchanged letters (yea, it was long before emails), met up a few times, got on really well. Spent a memorable day in Oxford searching second hand book stores for books about Scythians. We still keep in touch. She has an agent I'd love to represent me but I would never dream of asking for a referral or even hinting at it.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a favorite book that I want to write the author and tell them just how much I enjoyed it. Sadly, I can't find a website or blog or anything about them. My desperate attempt will be to try to find something through the publisher but they are also small. *flails*

I'll keep trying, though, because it's important to me to let the author know how much I loved the story and the character.

/derail

If you can find a snail mail for the publisher send a letter to the author in care of the publisher. It most likely will be passed along. I did that about ten years ago when a fiction author I liked wrote a great non-fiction book. I didn't expect any response, or maybe a form letter from a secretary. I got a personal letter from the author, with his home address on the envelope. We didn't begin a correspondence, but I have seen him a few times at signings.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.