Warhammer 40K (MMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I first noticed it when I was browsing the THQ site after playing Darksiders.
The news has finally spread.
I thought Warhammer Online was fine, I just didn't have the money to keep playing multiple MMO's.
So, let's hope this one launches to better acclaim.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed the 40k fluff. When I heard about this a couple of years back, I raised an eyebrow in a very neutral way. There are so many ways to mess this up, they cannot easily be counted.

That said, it's THQ, who brought us the Dawn of War series and showed us that it's possible to have really good 40K games. I look forward to see what they do.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Copying my comments made there to here:

The trouble with entirely ditching the Trinity is that people want to feel that they’ve made significant contributions to the group. In a way, tanks and healers have their own minigame, and if they do a good job and your DPS is on top of things, victory is yours. There’s a good reason it exists and has been copied so often: It works. It keeps people engaged. It’s a staple.

That said, the trouble with keeping the Trinity in all incarnations is that it gets old. Warhammer did a pretty good job of fiddling the system with their ‘everyone fights’ philosophy. For example, I really liked the yin/yang of combat damage boosting heals and healing boosting damage. Similarly, STO gives everyone a reason to keep shooting. If your doctor is standing in the back waiting for people to get hurt so he can do his job, then he is NOT doing his job. He’s got a phaser and a tricorder He should be using them.

I believe that the systems we see in Dawn of War 2 are the basis for the MMO, wherein your character is the leader of a squad, and your squad fills your role in combat based on loadout. Heavy weapons or jump packs for fire support and extra damage, a tech priest or apothecary for support/healing, and termie armor for heavy assault/tanking.

The key will be giving people a way to stand out in a group, which is what the Trinity does. Since THQ is making the MMO and since they’ve done so well with 40K in the past, I have some faith that they’ll do right by us.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
I am really sick of the holy trinity setup in MMO's. Champions Online has done a passable job of ditching that model (even if you can backdoor yourself into one of those roles using their Builds system).

It's time to get rid of the concept. It's been around since before EQ, can't they create something better?

Sure, it "works" but why does forced teaming via the trinity handicaps have to be the only model?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, you should play as a Rogue Trader or part of a Rogue trader's entourage.

Cause, well, Rogue Traders are the only ones in Warhammer 40,000 that ever have any fun...or...ya know, freedom to do what they want.

Well...Rogue Traders and Nobles.

And I doubt that we could build an entire MMORPG around incest and stabbing your friends in the back.

...all though, now that I'm thinking...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The chaos gods got total freedom man.

I just want a 40K so they can flesh out the lore more, sort of like they did with WH Fantasy.
I am all about the lore and being a completionist.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
ce96b67376c1ba3b7b27a0eb412c55cc.jpg

Tomothy_Mayhem

Holy Emperor of the Imperium
Registered
Reaction score
I started writing a Malal Deamons supplement for the Daemons of Chaos Codex, for all you people who don't know. Malal is the 5th Chaos god.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I f-ing love Malal!
It sucks so bad that they removed him from continuity, I want him back!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
How can you build an MMO around Space Elves in skimmers and Space Orcs in trukks smashing everything that opposes them?

jckkeith

Registered
Reaction score
I have been playing the beta of Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II and I am really shocked and baffled as to why relic or possibly mythic has not made this game into an MMORPG. I mean its a prime competitor to WoW -- Ton's of content and lore they could easily bring over from the previous series. The ability to blend fantasy and scifi would be so awesome; I know many people are tried of fantasy based games yet it seems none fantasy based games always suck. What do others think about bringing the War 40k universe into an mmorpg setting?

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Keith, welcome to AW.

In fact, THQ is making a 40k MMO. That's what we're on about here. Looks like it'll hit some time in 2012. Hopefully before the world ends in December of that year.

Now, what I'd like to see from it is actually a bit of Mount & Blade / Supreme Commander feel. Not only do I have my character, but I command an entire army in an MMO setting. Of course, the world can't be a big open place (ala WoW, WAR, etc) but rather you'd get dropped into battlezones with a series of mission objectives to complete. Sort of like how STO does things. At the strategic level you issue deployment orders, fortify positions, and plan assaults. At the tactical level you control your character directly, rallying troops, providing support, and generally being your badass self.

That would be a hoot, and it's something I haven't seen done yet.

Last edited:

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Oooooo pretttyyy....

And Log, you CAN say more. You're just lording it over us. I know how you are. ;)

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
The thing that annoys me is that they seem to be taking things down to the single individual, rather than leaving it at the sqaud/platoon level.

Dead horse, I know, but still. We'll see how it pans out.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Imperium of Man Trailer.
Apparently, there will be multiple races to choose from.

Interview. It's suggested there may be only two factions overall, still, very little info disclosed, so who can say.

I am worried about how well Vigil will be able to pull off the lore/RP/environment aspects of the game. Mythic had GW working with them too, and while it's not terrible, at times I felt like the overall atmosphere doesn't live up to Warhammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.