PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you go blind?

Ugawa
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Hey.

If you have an accident and lose your sight, what happens afterwards?

You obviously go to a hospital as soon as it happens, but what happens after that? Would you go back to a normal school? What sort of tests do they do on you (if any)? And any other bits of information would be great.

In my new WIP my MC wakes up blind (paranormal reasons which he doesn’t know about yet), I just want to be completely accurate. I’ve tried looking up things on the internet, but I can’t find anything. One search even led me to a ‘how to lose your virginity painlessly’ webpage. God knows how that one turned up.

Any help is appreciated.

x

Collectonian
02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
LOL, that is an interesting search result in deed. Here is a site that notes the tests that are done if someone has sudden vision loss: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1216594-overview

As for what happens, after the medical tests and what not, I'd guess it would depend on the person. I'd suspect most would not return immediately to school (unless they can have someone go with them to help them get around), but would focus on learning how to get around their own home between going to doctor appointments, and if the MC believes it will be permanent, they would hopefully begin looking into support groups and resources for helping them and the family cope and adjust.

JulieHowe
02-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Google the phrase blind school, which is where some blind adults choose to go after losing their sight, for anywhere from three months to a year spent in a residential program. Two older adults I know chose to accept a minimal amount of training from a blind center, living at home instead of entering into a formal residential program after they lost their sight. Also, check out author Sally Hobart Alexander's two autobiographies. She lost her sight in her early twenties.