PDA

View Full Version : Your first experience with AW: What was it like?

Silver King
02-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Sometimes I think back about my first days here and wonder how others fared when they first joined AW. I had lurked for some months and read countless posts before taking the plunge. By then, I figured I knew everything I needed to know to integrate myself smoothly into this community. Boy, was I wrong!

For one thing, my style of humor takes some getting used to, and early on I refused to use emoticons because, well, if you didn't get my jokes in the written form, then that was your problem, not mine. But after several hundred posts, many of those misconstrued, and some negative reps later, I started to employ those helpful icons if only to insure that my intentions were better understood. Like this one: :D

Another thing that I found most difficult early on was to find my voice and figure out how best to project my thoughts. Should I be straight forward and serious? Kid around and hope for best? Or simply be myself and trust that eventually my true intentions would be understood and appreciated?

Those are a couple of areas I worried about when I first joined AW.

How about you?

Medievalist
02-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Here's my first post. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10949&postcount=61) I'm pretty much the same, just crankier.

By that time I'd already been using the 'net for over ten years, and was a UseNet survivor, so I wasn't that worried. And, as is my wont, I lurked for several weeks before posting.

Wayne K
02-05-2010, 08:20 AM
I don't remember. But if I didn't feel welcome, I would have left

triceretops
02-05-2010, 08:28 AM
It was memorable--a blast, really. It was Christmas, and we opened some virtual gifts somewhere. When New Years came, we popped party balloons. It was my first time ever on the internet, and my first WWW writing group. I was an old babe in the woods. I'll never forget it, seeing the avatars of Charlie and Dawn, the first two welcoming me to the newbie board. Oh, and when Jenna used to rep me--it was like a whole ten points! Then we all cheated to get our posts up by eating up tons of bandwidth.

Those were the days...

Cassiopeia
02-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I found AW one day, through other writing sites, and signed up straight away, posted my newbie thread as soon as I had my registration completed which was pretty much immediately.

But then I've been using forums for a very long time myself and I wasn't shy about saying hi. I was more nervous about declaring myself a writer. I figured people would jump on me and say PROVE IT.

Thankfully NO ONE did that. My first post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=694945&postcount=1)

For the most part that first year was golden...and I behaved right up to the point were I told a member to shut the hell up because she dared me to say it in public so I did, (what can I say it was a very sensitive subject.) We sent each other a few mean reps and then within about four months we became friends. *waves at SP* I only tell her to shut the hell up now for nostalgia sake...SP gets that. :D

This last year, I've become less tolerant. I blame it on Rob. (as everything should be.) But I try to be that same sweet person I was in my first post (oh how embarrassing) ;)

But people were really nice to me and generally still are. We are our own little family.

Which reminds me SK, where's my allowance, Dad? :D

MacAllister
02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Heh. I'm just as earnest and pedantic (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=82912&postcount=622) as I was in my own first post.

I'd been lurking for months before I registered, and it was very odd to sort of feel like I knew everyone -- then have to remember that I'd been lurking. No one had any idea who the heck I was.

KellyAssauer
02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
I'd never seen or heard of UseNet before this, the entire idea of post, and then wait?, was very strange coming away from 'live chat' programs. (like trying to get used to clunky Aim after the brilliant Icq). But software issues aside, I read, I lurked, and eventually posted in syw poetry, which worked out so well I gave up on AW and poetry in about three months. I peeked in on occasion but prolly had a post count of 3 posts per year until writing prose and finding the most amazing peeps in syw literature.

dgrintalis
02-05-2010, 08:46 AM
I lurked around for a bit, then joined and said hello here: My First Post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133025). I find it funny that I introduced myself with my dance name, Damiena (although I mentioned I was a belly dancer), instead of my real name, Damien. I joined to get some help with my query letter, found the Horror Hounds, and it felt like coming home. :)

Cassiopeia
02-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I'd never seen or heard of UseNet before this, the entire idea of post, and then wait?, was very strange coming away from 'live chat' programs. (like trying to get used to clunky Aim after the brilliant Icq). But software issues aside, I read, I lurked, and eventually posted in syw poetry, which worked out so well I gave up on AW and poetry in about three months. I peeked in on occasion but prolly had a post count of 3 posts per year until writing prose and finding the most amazing peeps in syw literature.

Uh oh! :D (now tell me you didn't hear it in your head) :D

oh my gosh that was the most annoying sound but I did graduate from IRC to ICQ and then onto msn and on and on. :)

JoeEkaitis
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2638653289_600f63b2f6_o.jpg

sadron
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
My first experience was that people were really nice! It was like feeling at home soon. :D My introduction post was as a fantasy writer. :)

I luv you people! :D

Xelebes
02-05-2010, 09:52 AM
I came here not too long ago. So I still have that new sheen with me - I think. But in all honesty, I was a forum monger who joined forums and dove right in from the get go. I was a little more hesitant with this forum as it is pretty divided with many forums to leaf through but after a week, I had already 10 posts to my credit.

BardSkye
02-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I lurked for a short period before making my first post in the newbie section (lost when the forums got shut down by She-who-must-not-be-named). Everyone was very welcoming, very encouraging.

Didn't take long before I posted my first bit in SYW and asked for a tough critique. I got exactly what I asked for: they ripped it to shreds and I loved it! Finally, finally, people who would tell me if something sucked. People who gifted me with their time and could explain things like show-versus-tell in a way I understood. My writing improved by leaps and bounds and would never have done so without AW.

At that time, you couldn't see the little icon for negative reps on your own posts. I thought that meant I hadn't received any and pretty much everyone else had. I was rather smugly pleased with myself about it. It was several months before I figured out the sad truth. I was just like everyone else in the big AW family.

What a wonderful family to be in.

Medievalist
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Negative Reps can be made to disappear; let MacCannister or me know. Also, the ability to neg rep is mostly gone--there were a few abusive habitual neggers.

Yeshanu
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Heh. Had to dig for a bit to find my first post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=82820&postcount=530), but I joined before Mac! :D Can't believe my five year anniversary is fast approching...

If I hadn't felt welcome, I wouldn't have stayed. This was the first forum I ever joined, and the only one I've posted on extensively, and I think that about says it all.

I will say it was a lot easier to navigate back in those days--I think we had 1/100 of the members we've got now, and many less forums. But there's a lot more info now, and I've been introduced to aspects of writing that I'd never considered before.

BardSkye
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Negative Reps can be made to disappear; let MacCannister or me know. Also, the ability to neg rep is mostly gone--there were a few abusive habitual neggers.

Very kind of you, but unnecessary, thank you. As far as I know I never received any. At the time I thought the icon meant somebody had received one or more and I was preening over being so polite and diplomatic that I was the only one out of thousands who hadn't. :e2hammer:

No, I'm a redhead, but I have my blonde moments.

Fran
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I said hello in Jed's and told a stupid joke. Nobody laughed at the joke (and it's my favourite so I was super-offended ;)) but everyone was very sweet. I still retreat to Jed's most of the time. Like SK, I have a strange sense of humour and people can think I'm serious when I'm being sarcastic so I use smileys.

Soon after I joined I got some negative reps and it upset me but I got over it. I've been told the person who did it does it all the time to lots of different people so I didn't take it personally and it doesn't matter anymore. Apart from that I've had a lovely time, even though I'm just a learner. A writer with an L plate. :D

Oh, and the joke is: A skeleton goes in to a pub and says "Can I have a pint of lager and a mop, please?" See? Classic. ;)

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
AW's the first forum I've ever joined and so far I haven't been bothered to join anymore. I found everybody extremely welcoming, gravitated towards office party and settled comfortably into my default position of social pariah.

Fran, when you're offline I'm going to post that joke and claim it as my own. :D

Fran
02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Fran, when you're offline I'm going to post that joke and claim it as my own. :D

I'll know. Even if you don't think I will, I will. I have tiny elf minion spies everywhere, and I WILL know. So watch it.

MY joke. MINE. :evil

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I'll know. Even if you don't think I will, I will. I have tiny elf minion spies everywhere, and I WILL know. So watch it.

MY joke. MINE. :evil

Dammit. Stoopid elves.

Susie
02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, I know that I was a lot more angelic, sensitive 'n gracious. Now I'm just mean. Ok, not really, but it's fun to say it. :D Great thread, Silver!

Fran
02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Dammit. Stoopid elves.

They also bite. :D

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 02:51 PM
They also bite. :D

That's ok. So do I. :D

Rarri
02-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Aw, i didn't realise i'd been here a whole year. Weird.

The thing i worried about when i joined AW was the sheer size of the place, i still haven't quite got my head around it and, i suppose, feeling like a kid again (despite the lovely atmosphere!). Other than that, it was simply a joy to find a forum where the vast majority could spell...

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Other than that, it was simply a joy to find a forum where the vast majority could spell...but chose not to.

I noe! Writerz haz funneh!

kayleamay
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I lurked for about a year before joining, then I think my first conversation was with Fran (back when she looked like a cat with a watermelon helmet) and we discussed what kind of avatar I should use. It was a toss up between Lucy and Animal. Fran thought I should use Animal. Good thing I didn't listen to her. ;)

Then I lurked for awhile longer until I got sucked into a strange conversation with Scarletpeaches and tt42. The memory is blurred but I think my eyes bled. I've been posting ever since.

I think I lurve this place.

Fran
02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm always going to vote for Animal over Lucy. I'm biased, for I am a drummer and he is my god. But I don't use him because I like kick-ass vengeance goddesses better. ;)

I've also never seen a single episode of I Love Lucy but I kept it a secret because I thought you'd never speak to me again. :e2flowers

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm always going to vote for Animal over Lucy.

*pats Fran on the head*

aaaarrrrrrrgggggggrrrraaaaaaah.

Fran
02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
*pats Fran on the head*

aaaarrrrrrrgggggggrrrraaaaaaah.

Did you just maul me? :D

kayleamay
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm always going to vote for Animal over Lucy.

I've also never seen a single episode of I Love Lucy but I kept it a secret because I thought you'd never speak to me again. :e2flowers

*puts Fran on ignore*

I kid. I kid because I lurve.

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Mauled. Ignored. And a kid? It's a good day to be Fran.

kayleamay
02-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Gah, now I'm imagining half Fran/half muppet spawn. Barf.

Inky
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Background Checks and Bewares.
Some shrew blasted me because I felt an agent ridiculous in her double standards: address her by her name, spell check your query, the usual....only....wait for it.....wait for it....when I received a rejection, it was addressed: Dear Author (how come she couldn't address me by MY name?), AND, her letter was FULL of spelling errors.

I'd seen better spelling by 2nd graders.

Fellow AWer blasted me that I needed to be careful, since agents had a tendency to lurk.

I made some flippant remark and the cat fight was on.

Soccermom gave me my first rep.
Then gave me a negative rep.
VictoriaStrauss locked the thread.

It was freakin' AWESOME!!!

And then I met Haskins....and realized...I wasn't big shit on the block...but a little turd on the bottom of someone's shoe. :ROFL:

Fran
02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Gah, now I'm imagining half Fran/half muppet spawn. Barf.

My half will be gorgeous. :tongue

It is a good day to be me! It's not every day I can say I've had a fuzzy maul. In fact it's my first one ever. I'm a little teary, but in a happy way.

kayleamay
02-05-2010, 04:24 PM
My half will be gorgeous. :tongue

It is a good day to be me! It's not every day I can say I've had a fuzzy maul. In fact it's my first one ever. I'm a little teary, but in a happy way.

You won't be saying that when the itching starts.

JJ Cooper
02-05-2010, 04:30 PM
My first experiences here were very good. Great advice and mentoring that led to me being published.

I've had some bumps and bruises along the way too - but that's life.

JJ

Fran
02-05-2010, 04:35 PM
You won't be saying that when the itching starts.

It's okay. My last boyfriend was such a &@#"* I'm immune to beasties now.

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
It's okay. My last boyfriend was such a &@#"* I'm immune to beasties now.

Growl.

Fran
02-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Growl.

Right. So telling a man he WON'T make you itch is an insult now? This is some kind of weird place where everything is backwards and doesn't make sense. ;)

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Sorry, I should clarify my position.

Seductive growl.

:D

NeuroFizz
02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I tiptoed in, slipped on the rocks a few times, found the initial chill just required a normal period of getting used to the water. Then I discovered the hot tub in Ray's HOL.

quickWit
02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I came for the snacks.
I stayed for the chicks.

Fran
02-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Sorry, I should clarify my position.

Seductive growl.

Oh! That's all right, then. Seductive is good! Unfortunately I'm the World's Worst Flirter (TM) so it'll take me a while to think of an appropriate return of the favour. :D

kayleamay
02-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh! That's all right, then. Seductive is good! Unfortunately I'm the World's Worst Flirter (TM) so it'll take me a while to think of an appropriate return of the favour. :D

I bet you use that line in bars.

Fran
02-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I bet you use that line in bars.

No, in bars I say "I come here for the alcohol, not the conversation." ;)

StoryG27
02-05-2010, 05:40 PM
AW's the first forum I've ever joined and so far I haven't been bothered to join anymore. I found everybody extremely welcoming, gravitated towards office party and settled comfortably into my default position of social pariah. :D
Like Rob, this is the first and only forum I joined (though it is painful to have something in common with him :D note the use of emotion icons, like SK spoke of, which I too had to learn to do so I didn't offend people I genuinely like). I didn't lurk, just jumped in right away, not knowing what the hell I was doing. I found it while researching agents, loved it, and stayed. I didn't know how anything worked, didn't know what "reps" were for months, until someone finally explained it to me after I got up the courage to ask. I checked my user CP and found tons of awesome reps that had remained unread for so long because I didn't know anything about the place and was not (and am not) computer savvy. I've been here forever now, and this place is home to me. And you all are my crazy family. . .like it or not.

I came for the snacks.
I stayed for the chicks.
*rolls eyes*
A bunny and chicks. Is it Easter already?

don't let him fool you. he may be a whacked out lil' weirdo, but the bunneh can write!

Susie
02-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I also wanted to add I've been corrupted by most of you, and you know who you are. Thank you. :D

kayleamay
02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
You're welcome.

Fran
02-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Rob, my poor dim brain's got nothin'. So you'll have to settle for a hug. :Hug2:

I also wanted to add I've been corrupted by most of you, and you know who you are. Thank you.

It's just as well this place has sweet innocent angels like me to keep it on track. Imagine the horror if I wasn't here... :tongue :ROFL:

Lavern08
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Joined because it was a court-ordered *community service* assignment...What? :Shrug:

... Stayed because of Susie's Brownies ;)

Silent Rob
02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Rob, my poor dim brain's got nothin'. So you'll have to settle for a hug. :Hug2:

Is it a sexy hug? I'll take it. It'll make the last five and a half hours of multi-second page refreshes worthwhile.

Fran
02-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Is it a sexy hug?

With all these people watching?! Are you mad?! :tongue Or perverted? Perverted is better than mad... ;)

I'll take it. It'll make the last five and a half hours of multi-second page refreshes worthwhile.

I'm sorry I took so long. I'm slow and stupid, but I hug well. :D

Adam
02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
(My first post.) (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2995097&postcount=1)

I had just started writing, so I was a little nervous about mixing with real writers. Once I got past my nerves and started being myself though, I was fine. :)

Chris P
02-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I am still not sure I completely understand this place. There are so many threads people seem to adhere to the subjects of the forums only loosely.

Maybe this is a gripe, but I find the search tool almost useless. Is there a way to sort the results so that it first displays the thread titles that contain the search term? For example, go to the main Water Cooler page, select "search" and "display threads." Search for "pseudonym."

It returns all threads, most recent first, that contain the search term anywhere in the thread, and most of them aren't helpful. "Pseudonym" doesn't appear in a title until the second page. Could we add a feature that searches only thread titles?

On a related note, searching under "pen name" results in a "search term too common" type error. None of the tools I know for searching for terms "pen name," pen-name, pen*name return relevant results

stormie
02-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Funny thing is, I remember meeting Silver King, but not my first post. SK was celebrating someone's 50th, and I thought he meant "birthday." Our sense of humor is the just about the same (dry? wry? droll? non-existent?) so we hit it off.

Anyway, I'm one of the originals, when Jenna first started AW Water Cooler back around 2002. I found it from Writer's Digest best writer's boards, and plunged right in, like I usually do with most things. There wasn't a Newbie forum back then. Only a very few forums. I liked it so much I stayed on. Can't even ban myself now.

Here's one of the first Water Cooler boards from 2002:http://web.archive.org/web/20020604012836/pub43.ezboard.com/babsolutewrite

Adam
02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Could we add a feature that searches only thread titles?

Already exists. :)

Use Advanced Search instead, and there's an option under "keyword(s)" (top left) ;)

JLCwrites
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I was in the midst of writing a YA horror/fantasy and was told about AW from a Hugo award winning sci-fi writer. I spent the first three months hanging out in the YA section before I realized that Office Party existed. Now I am stuck in here and I CANT GET OUT! ;)

robeiae
02-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't remember my first post. I'm sure it was something very intelligent and well-said, though.

As to my first "experience" at AW, I remember getting felt up by Haskins at a poetry reading...

Needless to say, I've been here ever since.

Jersey Chick
02-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I found my first post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1182287&postcount=1) and holy crap was it lame!

I think they've improved. At least, I hope they have! :D

I remember going head to head in a debate with Robovowels very early on - very civil, though, just a bit - ahem - heated from time to time. It was a good discussion, though.

Ahh... the good ol' days! :)

And, IIRC, the debate was about whether the good ol' days really were that good.

Susie
02-05-2010, 09:22 PM
You're welcome.

:roll:

tjwriter
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
I joined, I believe, in 2004 back in the ezboard days. I think I lurked around a bit before I signed up and I have no clue what my first post was. My username was different back then.

I had just started writing again and realized how much there was to learn here, so I stayed. They don't tell you that there is no exit here.

Chris P
02-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Already exists. :)

Use Advanced Search instead, and there's an option under "keyword(s)" (top left) ;)

D'oh!

Thanks, and I remember reading your first post. I think my reply was my tenth post or something.

robeiae
02-05-2010, 09:35 PM
And, IIRC, the debate was about whether the good ol' days really were that good.
I remember that! But I forgot which side I was on...

Jersey Chick
02-05-2010, 09:35 PM
The losing side, I think. ;)

Just kidding - I think we called it a draw.

robeiae
02-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I think we called it a draw.That doesn't sound like me, at all.

Jersey Chick
02-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I was a newbie - I think you felt sorry for me.

But, if you like, I'll claim victory. :)

I do know you gave me one of my very first rep points for it.

Medievalist
02-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I Could we add a feature that searches only thread titles?

No, because it's not worth wriiting code for a product that will upgraded several times a year,

and the feature is already there under Advanced Search.

Generally speaking you will be better off using Google Search Advanced Seach, restricted to the forums, for anything other than the most basic of searches. The board is vast, and unknowable.

Cella
02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I jumped right in to QLH with a laughable query and MS to match. Had lots of helpful feedback though and learned a lot.

Then I found the Cabbie and have been in a constant state of confusion ever since.

:D wouldn't have it any other way. :D

CACTUSWENDY
02-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Well, it was ezboard then and had about 300-350 members. Jenna was the boss and I only lurked about ten minutes. There were only a couple of 'mean beans' on here at that time. The rest were super folks.

I have seen the members list go way up and then they cleaned house. I have seen some folks banned for life and some for just a few days. Threads that get locked and some that 'why are these still open'.

My life has been touched by some folks that have passed on and are still missed. I have 'met' folks with just about every type of illiness, both physical and mental. Folks have gotten married, divorced and widowed. Babies have been born. Kids have graduated from high shcool and college. Jobs have been lost and jobs have been found. Many have become published.

I leaned that no matter what part of the world you live in the drive to place words on paper has the same emotion. DEEP. I am amazed that the English language is handled so well by the rest of the world.

Through all of this it has been clear that if we all lived in the same town we would no doubt slay each other. But, as a writing community at large, we tend to nurture each other and to me that is a great thing.

It is with great joy to know that even when I finally lay my head down for the last time that new blood will keep pumping through this fourm keeping the hopes and dreams of so many alive.

maxmordon
02-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I found AW thanks to a recommendation on YahooAnswers, I used to roam there seeking other fellow writers but when I ended up here I knew this was a place I wanted to belong.

At first it was immtimidating and people weren't all nice or I didn't know how or what to do and behave, but at the end, I never looked back and proudly call this place home. :)

darkprincealain
02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I didn't understand, had a lot to learn, and kept tripping over the furniture. So I guess you could say, not a lot has changed. :D

Inky
02-05-2010, 10:42 PM
I didn't understand, had a lot to learn, and kept tripping over the furniture. So I guess you could say, not a lot has changed. :D
We rearrange it everytime you leave...then eagerly await your return...after having placed bets & passed around the popcorn.

We never said we were mature.

brainstorm77
02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
It was fine. I found most people friendly.

cray
02-05-2010, 10:56 PM
when i joined there were hardly any asses around.
is asses a word?

Wicked
02-05-2010, 11:04 PM
It all started with dolphin porn.

Someone spammed another writing board I belong to with it. During the coarse of the ensuing argument, before the thread was deleted by the mods there, the poster dropped AW's name. Apparently a much more philosophical debate was going on over here.

Morbid curiosity lured me over.

Ken
02-05-2010, 11:09 PM
... first post was a factual question about an agency. Hadn't lurked at all prior to it. Stumbled upon the thread via a google search on the agency. Probably how a lot of members discover AW. My second post was a bit more volatile. Glad you didn't ask about that ;-)

writerterri
02-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I was scared to death. I hadn't ever been accepted into any "normal" (and I use the word loosley:D) community. I was sure that once people got to know me they would shun me forever like I was used to. Some of you know i was horribly abused into my adult life, treated like damaged goods and only knew what i was taught. I was desperate for equal giving and taking human relationships and to learn what my parents and peers didn't have the capacity to teach me and through trial, risk and error, I grew an online family. I do have to say that through some personal dealings here at AW some folks leave me scratching my head, but for the most part I eventually fell in love.

Thanks for being here, Jenna, Mac and Dawno. True dorks.

And the rest of you are dorks too! (means I really dig you). :)

Midnight Star
02-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I jumped right in and started talking to random people right away. I'm a friendly person, in my online form.

Jersey Chick
02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I knew I belonged once Werri called me a dork. :D

maxmordon
02-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Found my first post. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70443)

writerterri
02-05-2010, 11:29 PM

What. A. Dork.

Fran
02-05-2010, 11:32 PM
It all started with dolphin porn.

So many things do... ;)

MelodyO
02-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Well, since you asked. :D

I jumped right in, I think, but I was pretty nervous about it. I'd sweat bullets over my comments, making sure they weren't insulting or foolish, and then when I posted...nobody would respond. All the people in this or that thread would just keep talking around me. No hard feelings, but I finally pretty much just gave up. I love this forum and read it every day, but I rarely comment anymore. That's why it's taking me three years to get to a thousand comments!

PS I still give out a zillion rep points. I have to share my love *somehow*.

writerterri
02-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Well, since you asked. :D

I jumped right in, I think, but I was pretty nervous about it. I'd sweat bullets over my comments, making sure they weren't insulting or foolish, and then when I posted...nobody would respond. All the people in this or that thread would just keep talking around me. No hard feelings, but I finally pretty much just gave up. I love this forum and read it every day, but I rarely comment anymore. That's why it's taking me three years to get to a thousand comments!

PS I still give out a zillion rep points. I have to share my love *somehow*.

Well, let me be the first to respond to you if I can type fast enough. Think about it on the bright side, at least you aren't a thread killer. That happens to me a lot. It's like you're invisable some days. Well, not today sister!

:hi:

writeronfire
02-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I found it a little difficult to fit in at first. This is a big place.
But then I found a few threads that made me feel kinda welcome--one of Jed's newbie threads and the Obsessive reppers, are 2 that come to mind.

I read quite a few of the threads even if I don't post there.

EFCollins
02-06-2010, 12:01 AM
I kind of dove in headlong and made my mark among the horror peoples (no I did NOT pee on a tree, I don't care what they say). I found that many of them are almost as sick and weird as I am.

It felt like home. *sniffle-tear-snot*

It was pretty neat, though. I just kind of slid right in and never thought about fitting in. I just did... with some of yuns. Most of you haven't gotten to know the glory that is me. YET.

writeronfire
02-06-2010, 12:08 AM
This was a nice thread idea, I wanted to add.

Ambrosia
02-06-2010, 12:34 AM
I joined AW one year and one day ago.

I had searched Google for hours trying to answer a single, simple question. I was ready at that point to put my manuscript away and give up, period. At least for the next few days, because I have found I can never just give up. I decided to do one more search, which did not yield the answer, but which did bring to my attention, again, this website. I finally decided if anyone would know the answer, a group of writers would.

So, I joined and started the thread Underlining in a manuscript. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3251007&postcount=1)

The question was whether the final punctuation in a sentence that was underlined to show the need for italics would be underlined or not.

To which I got a quick reply from Medievalist. No, it isn't.
Followed within 2 minutes by a reply from dpaterso. Yes it is.

The thread turned into a very interesting conversation. :D

I also had my first interaction with SP there. That was fun. :D

I finally decided the next day to introduce myself in the Newbie Forum: "Once upon a time..." (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3254219&postcount=1)

Shortly thereafter, I received a pm from Sneaky Devil inviting me, on behalf of the current Queen, Cooeedownunder, to join the Royalty thread. I did, and have made it one of my homes here at AW. Another home, which I never would have guessed at, is the Poetry Crit forum. I came to AW for help with my novel, and in the process rediscovered my inner Poet. I hadn't written any poetry in over 30 years. Being exposed to folks of like mind helped my creativity explode. It has been a tremendous blessing to me.

Thanks for the thread, SK. :)

jennontheisland
02-06-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't remember how I got here, but my first or second post (after my intro) was in a thread about minimum wage, someone replied directly to me, and repped me, and was super nice. My first custom title was thanks to him. And most of them since too.

I still read all his posts.

Mr Flibble
02-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Ah those were the days...I'd only just started to take my writing seriously about 3 months before and I was looking for advice. I got sent here by way of a SFF writers' site. This place was nice and friendly, though it took me a while to crit anything in SYW cos I wasn't sure. Within a month JCD and Andrew in LH had shredded and helped me put back together my query and it got its first ever nibble first time out after that.

Oh and as my previous forum experience was on the EU WOW site, where 95% of the posters are men, I kept calling everyone ( well, whose name didn't give it away) him and he....

Shweta used to send me reps saying 'You realise she's a she, right?'

ETA: this site is also responsible for linking me with the writers' group I belong to. Waylander saw I'd sold and that I was in Sussex and asked if I'd like to come see.

Haggis
02-06-2010, 01:32 AM
First thing I did was mark my territory. I've been barking at all you intruders since then.

Mandy-Jane
02-06-2010, 01:46 AM
When I joined, I just hung out in the playwriting section because I thought it was the only place I was really qualified to post in! Then I bravely ventured into other parts, made a few sweet friends and got some excellent advice on different aspects of writing. After a while, I realised I was spending more time playing word games on the board than actually talking about writing, so I quit for a while. Then I didn't do as well as I'd expected in a writing competition and decided I was NEVER writing again! So I quit again! But now, I'm back into it and am determined to stick with it. It's fun here, and there's the occasional fight to spice things up!

Seaclusion
02-06-2010, 01:49 AM
First thing I did was send an innuendo laced rep to someone who responded right back in kind. The rest is history

Richard

CheekyWench
02-06-2010, 01:52 AM
I was googling agents and fell in. :D I was a lurker for about 3-4 months before I registered.

Stew21
02-06-2010, 02:00 AM
came in for bewares. saw uncle jim's thread. asked a lot of newb questions in novels.
found Office party (where robovowels sang karaoke to me). got the nerve to post in poetry (where I learned a ton from some really incredible poets).
posted in ray's HOL where I spent my time while I wrote my next novel.
I don't remember anything but feeling welcome and feeling like I'd come home, because in RL I don't know very many writers.
Now I count people here as some of my best friends. I :heart: AW.

dobiwon
02-06-2010, 02:24 AM
I joined in August 2005, but my first post wasn't until November. Actually, lurking on the board gave me the courage to make my first submissions. My first post was to announce the rejections in the a forum where everybody was doing the same--a virtual rejection party. The posts and views expressed there encouraged me to continue submitting.

My second post didn't happen until 3-1/2 months later, but I didn't really feel comfortable for quite a while even after that--despite the cordiality and hospitality shown me.

Now, I'm comfortable enough to post in my pajamas and bare feet, which I believe is the dress code minimum , isn't it?

Susie
02-06-2010, 02:38 AM
"Now, I'm comfortable enough to post in my pajamas and bare feet, which I believe is the dress code minimum , isn't it?"

Dobi, you dress in pajamas? :D

writeronfire
02-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Now, I'm comfortable enough to post in my pajamas and bare feet, which I believe is the dress code minimum , isn't it?

I didn't know that.

Think I'll kick off my boots. :)

AnonymousWriter
02-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Within hours of joining I had gained two stone.

Susie kept encouraging me to eat chocolate.

Fran
02-06-2010, 02:43 AM

The real question is: what's the drink minimum? :D

Susie
02-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Finally, someone's first experience. It was 'sweet' wasn't it, Anonymous. :D More :Cake: 4 U! :)

C.bronco
02-06-2010, 05:28 AM
My first AW experience was like delicate orchid petals cascading across the illumination of a Blake ... um... illumination! Afterwards, there was much celebration with burritos and Fabio pictures.

It. Can't Get. Better. Than. That!!!

Silver King
02-06-2010, 05:37 AM
I thought for sure by now that one of our devious Supers would have swapped the AW in this thread title for Sex...

It's interesting to find how some members jumped right into the mix upon learning of this site, while others took a more cautious approach and lurked for a time before joining.

I had no intention of ever signing up, satisfied merely with reading discussions and convinced that I didn't have anything useful to offer anyway. Then one day the person who recommended this site to me started a thread about something I'd published. He was calling me out of the shadows, which really put me on the spot. I felt like I had no choice then but to take the plunge. And I've been giving members here a hard time ever since, much to their dismay.

robeiae
02-06-2010, 05:44 AM
Yeah, we're dismayed. ;)

writerterri
02-06-2010, 05:47 AM
I thought i smelled fish that day.

Silver King
02-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Yeah, we're dismayed. ;)
I hadn't been here long before I considered Rob my sworn enemy. Over time, though, we've learned to barely tolerate one another. :D

I thought i smelled fish that day.
It was like a breath of fresh air, I'm sure. :)

brad_b
02-06-2010, 06:04 AM
I followed a 'writer beware' link to here since I thought I was ready to look for an agent and get all published and stuff. Once I started reading SYW and getting some good feedback on my work, I realized editing was a very necessary thing and AW kept me from making a big mistake. I started reading threads and finally signed up (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125440) after lurking for awhile, found OP, SYW, and did a lot of deep exploring in the zombie threads all over the place. During my spelunking in the vast underground of AW I came upon a jewel of this place and carved out a niche...that was in my first two weeks. Since then I've met some of the nicest folks in the world here at AW. I trust my writing skills have grown somewhat and I know the friends I've found here are among the best ever and the feedback and encouragement I receive is invaluable.

robeiae
02-06-2010, 06:07 AM
I hadn't been here long before I considered Rob my sworn enemy.It's weird. I actually like all of the people that have publicly called me their "sworn enemy" and the like.

I guess I'm just the bigger person...

:ROFL:

Okay, I don't buy that, either.

dobiwon
02-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Dobi, you dress in pajamas? :D
Susie,

Oh yeah--and my favorite ones are chocolate-colored. ;)

Silver King
02-06-2010, 06:32 AM
It's weird. I actually like all of the people that have publicly called me their "sworn enemy" and the like...
My old man used to say, "Your enemies today might become your friends tomorrow. Don't ever forget that, and always treat them with respect."

I understand what he meant now, and wish I would have when he was still alive.

Haggis
02-06-2010, 06:32 AM
It's weird. I actually like all of the people that have publicly called me their "sworn enemy" and the like.

I guess I'm just the bigger person...

:ROFL:

Okay, I don't buy that, either.

Yeah, I was gonna say...

tjwriter
02-06-2010, 06:42 AM
I thought for sure by now that one of our devious Supers would have swapped the AW in this thread title for Sex...

I thought for sure this thread would have taken that turn by now.

Where are all the perverts????
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Cella
02-06-2010, 06:45 AM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

snowed in, prolly. :D

I don't know if I actually did/do fit in any were. I just kinda shove my way into a thread and won't leave.

*smile-sigh*

Wicked
02-06-2010, 06:46 AM

They're probably looking for the dolphin porn thread. :roll:

I've gotten one negative rep in my time here. (and I don't think I am mean. :( )

And one undecided. It contains profanity, but I can't tell if it was an exclamation of humor, or negativity.

Susie
02-06-2010, 06:59 AM
I thought for sure this thread would have taken that turn by now.

You rang? :D

Susie
02-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Susie,

Oh yeah--and my favorite ones are chocolate-colored. ;)

Super taste, dobi and that's why I like ya! :)

Cella
02-06-2010, 07:00 AM
You rang? :D
OMG! Susie!

Whateves.......

pffft.....:)

:Hug2)

Susie
02-06-2010, 07:08 AM
:roll: Knew that would wake ya up, Cella. Just kidding. Carry on. :D

Jersey Chick
02-06-2010, 07:19 AM
I've gotten two neg reps. Both by the same person.

Strangely enough - he kind of... disappeared.

what? :Shrug: i had nothing to do with it.

just hope no one looks in the end zone when Giants Stadium is completely demolished

jennontheisland
02-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Negative reps??

OMG! Susie!

Whateves.......

pffft.....

:Hug2)

I dunno Cella, under all that smiley happy cakey chocolate there just might be some leather and whips. ;)

Susie
02-06-2010, 07:31 AM
LOL, jenn, nah I'm too ol' for leather 'n whips, though maybe in my next life. :D

AnnieColleen
02-06-2010, 07:58 AM
First post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=895727&postcount=126), in SoccerMom's Bad Query thread. I'd intended to lurk a while longer, learning my way around, but that thread when I'd just been researching queries tripped me up. Then I remembered to go post an intro.

Cassiopeia
02-06-2010, 08:10 AM
I spent the majority of my time in the Royalty Thread at first. It seemed the safest. :)

Jess Haines
02-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I can't remember the first thread I took part in. I remember stumbling across this forum and being really intrigued by a number of ongoing conversations and questions people had posed. Started yapping, been coming back ever since. :)

C.bronco
02-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I think I went straight to posting a poll. I'm impudent that way.

Matera the Mad
02-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I lurked for about 15 minutes, then registered and dove in.

robeiae
02-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I lurked for about 15 minutes, then registered and dove in.
Sounds like my prom night.

writerterri
02-06-2010, 11:24 PM
I hadn't been here long before I considered Rob my sworn enemy. Over time, though, we've learned to barely tolerate one another. :D

It was like a breath of fresh air, I'm sure. :)

A bit slimy though. How do you spell slimy?

darkprincealain
02-06-2010, 11:32 PM
We rearrange it everytime you leave...then eagerly await your return...after having placed bets & passed around the popcorn.

We never said we were mature.

Well, I hope you enjoy the popcorn and the klutz. It's almost like dinner and a movie! :popcorn:

stormie
02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Same here. I felt all warm and fuzzy. I was finally a dork. I belonged.

And I remember Susie having a different user name.

regdog
02-07-2010, 12:03 AM
when i joined there were hardly any asses around.

And you filled the void

First thing I did was mark my territory.

**Washes shoe**

Rowan
02-07-2010, 02:44 AM
My early experiences almost convinced me to leave (go back to lurking)... and then later experiences/individuals also. But then I found a few really cool people and stuck around--not to mention a few fave forums. :)

writeronfire
02-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Then one day the person who recommended this site to me started a thread about something I'd published.

Was it a fish story?

Silver King
02-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Was it a fish story?
Yes. How did you guess?

writeronfire
02-07-2010, 03:30 AM
Yes. How did you guess?

Oh, gee, I don't know. Maybe your avatar had something to do with it. :)

Or else I could just be psychic.

Silver King
02-07-2010, 03:37 AM
Or perhaps you're highly intuitive.

writeronfire
02-07-2010, 03:42 AM
Or perhaps you're highly intuitive.
That's it. I'm highly intuitive.

Susie
02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Same here. I felt all warm and fuzzy. I was finally a dork. I belonged.

And I remember Susie having a different user name.

I did have a different user name, stormie. Sherri! :) I forgot about that... Wow, memories. :)

Cranky
02-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Ah, Memory Lane.

As I recall, I immediately got into a dustup in TIO with someone who is no longer here. :D

Mostly, I hung around Novels at first (despite my first post being in the deep end of the pool, lol), and then slowly branched out. I haven't been around much the past few months, but I doubt that I could ever leave this place. I love the peeps here!

Chasing the Horizon
02-07-2010, 03:12 PM
They don't tell you that there is no exit here.
Tell me about it. I've been trying to leave for 3 years. The first time I almost made it out. Now when I try to leave I just find myself in a different sub-forum. :e2bike2:

Certain members here have subliminal messages in their avatars. The more you see them, the more addicted you become. I'm beyond the point of no return now.

Susie
02-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Once you hit over 1K posts, you're addicted, that's it. No turning back. I know. See my post count. :D

Rowan
02-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I've gotten two neg reps. Both by the same person.

Strangely enough - he kind of... disappeared.

what? :Shrug: i had nothing to do with it.

just hope no one looks in the end zone when Giants Stadium is completely demolished

That happened to me also (recently). While it added to my points it made me want to reach into the computer and #*&@(&@#(@&... WTF is wrong with people?

Inky
02-07-2010, 05:32 PM

It's interesting to find how some members jumped right into the mix upon learning of this site, while others took a more cautious approach and lurked for a time before joining.

I had no intention of ever signing up, satisfied merely with reading discussions and convinced that I didn't have anything useful to offer anyway. Then one day the person who recommended this site to me started a thread about something I'd published. He was calling me out of the shadows, which really put me on the spot. I felt like I had no choice then but to take the plunge. And I've been giving members here a hard time ever since, much to their dismay.

Just as I was about to overcome my addiction to AW, I scrolled through a thread that caught my interest...and then scrolled past YOUR avatar.
Mouse screeched...then furiously clicked and clacked as I slid the mouse around to scroll back.

Oh.

It's a fish.

Leaping from the water.

But something 'bout that phallic shape....

I've been a member...er...don't take that outa context...ever since!

Inky
02-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I spent the majority of my time in the Royalty Thread at first. It seemed the safest. :)
And then she was dragged out and forced to sing the Oscar Meyer Weiner song with me...

*looks to Cass*

Remember that? And we were accused of being cheeky Americans...hehehehe