First review of second book. :D

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
Man, the anticipation for reviews is even worse the second time around. With the first book, all they can say is that it was good or bad (to varying degrees, of course). With the second novel, reviewers have a new way of hurting you: they can say it wasn't as good as the last book.

As a reader, nothing is worse than looking forward to a sequel and having it let you down. Especially when it's so bad it manages to tarnish what you once found so shiny. *cough* Matrix *cough*

Being on the other side of this potentiality is gut-wrenching. I don't wanna disappoint readers, but I also fear I'll have to at some point. How can you keep writing a series and make each book better? How can you change enough to keep it fresh, but not transform the story into something that bewilders or frustrates your fans?

As I work on book three and await reviews for book two, these anxieties gnaw at me. Getting my first review of the sequel, and from a blogger that raved about the first book, is like a shot of adrenaline, giving me the energy I need to forge ahead.

Now I better go write before it wears off . . .

Oh -- the review: http://yabookqueen.blogspot.com/2010/02/molly-fyde-and-land-of-light-by-hugh.html

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz.

It must be amazing to know that your audience loves your book.

x

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
Congratz.

It must be amazing to know that your audience loves your book.

x

It's extremely validating. Amazon reviews are the best. I've watched eight of them go up in the book's first three weeks. Seven are 5 star! :D

And Fantastic Book Review currently lists LAND OF LIGHT as "currently reading," so I can't wait to see what they have to say about it.

The pressure for book three is intense right now. I find myself looking for excuses to not finish it. :(