PDA

View Full Version : Is it considered fantasy or historical

kaigal
02-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know that if you write a novel based loosely off of a Greek myth, if it's considered a fantasy or a historical?

Thanks!

bclement412
02-05-2010, 03:52 AM
Fantasy. Like The Lightning Thief was based off Greek Gods, but I don't think it was considered historical.

kaigal
02-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Okay thanks, just wanted to make sure! :)

Kitty Pryde
02-05-2010, 03:54 AM
If it involves gods messing around doing supernatural things like eating and then vomiting up their children or fighting monsters...it's fantasy.

If it's about actual people who lived in an actual time (or mortal people who might have lived in that time, doing things that are actually possible)...it's historical.

mscelina
02-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Fantasy. If someone was to *ahem!* write a book about the Greek myth of *cough* Persephone and Hades *coughlookinmysiggyforexample* it is straight up fantasy. The only time it *might* be considered historical is if you were writing about the Trojan War or its equivalent. But yeah--fantasy. You're dealing with mythology and folklore, not history.

kaigal
02-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Fantasy. If someone was to *ahem!* write a book about the Greek myth of *cough* Persephone and Hades *coughlookinmysiggyforexample* it is straight up fantasy. The only time it *might* be considered historical is if you were writing about the Trojan War or its equivalent. But yeah--fantasy. You're dealing with mythology and folklore, not history.

Okay, what if its about events leading up to the Trojan War? Not in the way of mortal events but about Eris before she threw the Apple of Discord that led Paris to judge Aphrodite as the fairest and begin the Trojan War. Granted, none of this happens until near the end of it anyways.

Kitty Pryde
02-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Fantasy.

kaigal
02-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Great thanks a bunch! If anyone has issues understanding what I was talking about, please feel free to go here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170584