Saddam is dead. long live the regime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
What are you talking about? A legit democratic government doesn't dictate what parties can and cannot run for office. The citizens will decide if they are comfortable returning some power to the Baathists. That's their prerogative, not the governments.

This is a sign of Iraq making some progress with democratic government. Nothing has changed? Bullshit.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and then there's that whole mass murder thing that tended to happen under Saddam's regime.

I don't recall so much of that happening anymore, but, well, I guess I could be wrong.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
there IS Civil war within Iraq and this is being ignored

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war_in_Iraq

The Arab-Sunni faction and the Arab-Shi'ite are the main two participants in the violence, but conflicts within a single group have occurred. Iran, it has been conjectured, would assist the Shiites. Sunni-Shiite violence in Iraq, with Iran helping the Shi'ite and Arab nations helping the Sunni, is a possibility.[33][verification needed] A senior American official has said that during a meeting between Vice President Dick Cheney and Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah in November 2006, the king said that if U.S. forces pulled out of Iraq, the Saudis would be forced to support the Sunni minority.[34]

Last edited:

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what you're angle is here. Got anything more recent that's not a wikipedia article with these disclaimers?
  • This article is in need of attention from an expert on the subject. WikiProject Military history or the Military history Portal may be able to help recruit one. (December 2009)
  • This article may need to be updated. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information, and remove this template when finished. Please see the talk page for more information. (December 2009)
  • This article's factual accuracy may be compromised because of out-of-date information. Please help improve the article by updating it. There may be additional information on the talk page. (December 2009)

Maybe make an argument of some kind, instead of tossing around links and sweeping one-liners? That would be more productive to debate, I think.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
petec, from the wiki article, a quote that came from this OCt, 2009 article:

After Iraqi security forces took the lead in security operations on June 30, 2009, Iraq experienced a "dramatic reduction in war-related violence of all types ..., with civilian and military deaths down by 80 to 90 percent compared with the same period in 2008."

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I have asked fo this thread to be removed.

Pete

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
How about just closed? If someone else wants to discuss the upcoming election, they can certainly create a thread, or find another one, yes?
--Williebee

Status
Not open for further replies.