PDA

View Full Version : Approaching companies for research help

Fran
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I hope I'm putting this in the right place - if not I hope a kindly mod will move it for me. :)

I'm trying to write about a private investigation agency, and have thought about approaching some agencies in Glasgow to ask for their advice; for example what qualifications their investigators have and/or need, what's the bare minimum they need to trace someone and what kind of information is available to the general public under Scots Law, specifically adoption records. I could find this out from Google but I'd like some insight into the processes and channels private investigators use to obtain information. I'm comfortable writing to them to ask, and I'm more than happy to pay for their time, but don't know if I should suggest this or let them bring it up. Is there a general etiquette when approaching companies for help with research? Is there anything I absolutely must NOT do?

If anyone here can help with my questions, that's fantastic, but any legal information MUST be specific to Scots Law. :)

Chris P
02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
There are several approaches you can take. Ask some PIs directly, the worst they can say is "buzz off."

Also, I'm sure that industry is regulated. Who regulates them? Contact that body and see what they say. For research on some state laws in the US, I contacted the law university in that state. Their website had a section "press inquiries." Too bad your story doesn't take place in Alabama; the woman there bent over backwards to help me.

Fran
02-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Chris. As far as I can tell private investigators are unregulated in Scotland, but they are in EnglandandWales, which is why I need specifically Scottish information. I think I'm going to have to start a writing campaign. :)

Julie Worth
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Did you know that Allan Pinkerton, the father of private investigation in the US, was born in Scotland? You could learn that, along with many other things you might actually need, in "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Private Investigating."

padnar
02-06-2010, 07:59 AM
There are several approaches you can take. Ask some PIs directly, the worst they can say is "buzz off."

Also, I'm sure that industry is regulated. Who regulates them? Contact that body and see what they say. For research on some state laws in the US, I contacted the law university in that state. Their website had a section "press inquiries." Too bad your story doesn't take place in Alabama; the woman there bent over backwards to help me.

I wish I had known this fact as one of my mc's husband is a detective , but now alas my script is more or less finished .
padma