• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Legally naming an Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
Apologies to those who also browse the Story Research forum: cross-posted from there to here.
-----------------------------
So, I have a WIP with Moonbase on it. And no, I don't want to call it Moonbase. I want to name it after one of the astronauts. Or maybe one of the chief engineers.

Can I do this legally? Do I have to get permission from the next-of-kin? I don't want to get sued if this WIP ever gets published.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
Darnit, typo in thread title.

Please, oh benevolent AW Mod, change it to "Legally Naming an Installation"

Thank you.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
First, an observation: I'm sure I've seen this done before.

Second, a question: Why? Or, in greater detail, why not invent a name? You're writing fiction; fictionalize it: Base Yamazaki, after the first space voyage to die on the lunar surface.

caw

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Methinks using anyone's name is OK as long as you don't defame the person or infringe on trademark, etc.

-Derek

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have a an ironic passage in something that's coming out soon: "...when Chinese cruise missiles sunk the USS Clinton."

This might upset Mr. Clinton, who sold missile technology to the Chinese. However, which Clinton did I mean? Bill? Bob? Roger? Ted? There are so many Clintons.

The point is, while you can be sued for absolutely anything, no viable lawsuit can possibly come from you calling something "Moonbase Aldrin", even if for some reason the Aldrin family went insane and decided that your naming a fictional moonbase after him is worthy of your destruction in the name of vengence and Jihad. Now if you use his full name, DOB and SSN, that might open you up for something.

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies! Actually, I was going to name it Moonbase Collins, since the guy never got there, and is mostly forgotten.

Space Station Roger Chaffee, same reason. Every time I pass Ed White's grave, I think of him, and Grissom, and Chaffee.

Believe it or not, if you try to 'fair use' anything more than "I have a dream", then you will get sued by the MLK heirs. So, this is not exactly an idle question. I have never heard of the astronauts or heirs suing over their name use, but I don't want to be the first.

Thanks for your replies!

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Believe it or not, if you try to 'fair use' anything more than "I have a dream", then you will get sued by the MLK heirs. So, this is not exactly an idle question. I have never heard of the astronauts or heirs suing over their name use, but I don't want to be the first.

Seriously????:Soapbox: Idiots. Good parents don't always make good children.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Believe it or not, if you try to 'fair use' anything more than "I have a dream", then you will get sued by the MLK heirs.

Actually, no you won't. Not for the "Dream Speech". It has been tested in court, and ruled to be in public domain. It is freely available. For most of MLK's other speeches and writings, however, you are correct.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.