Bah...and humbug to this MSN story

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The researchers are trying to prove their hypothesis. So they write questions to get the answers they want. Goes on all the time.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
The researchers are trying to prove their hypothesis. So they write questions to get the answers they want. Goes on all the time.

They said in the article they're not sure which is which...chicken or the egg. All I can think is that they didn't pay very much attention in their research methods and design classes.

Surfing the net a lot could be a sign of so many other things going on in a person's life. I mean, sometimes people end up living in isolating conditions (living in the boonies, working a graveyard shift alone, etc) or become ill, etc. So, they might be depressed just from that.

I would think a net connection would be a gain for people, like myself, who can't get out a bunch at the moment. It's a poor replacement for face-to-face contact with other people, but it's at least something.

Again, bah...humbug. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Seems to me, addiction is addiction. Internet addiction wouldn't be any different then gambling or whatever and therefore whatever theories they can make about other addictions should be easily extrapolated to internet usage, including how it relates to depression.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Advice-Dog-GO-OUTSIDE-TALK-TO-GIRLS.jpg

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to talk to girls in the real world when you only have chat social skills. I've seen it, and it ain't pretty.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to talk to girls in the real world when you only have chat social skills. I've seen it, and it ain't pretty.

It just takes practice. I got married. If I got married, ANYONE can get married.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me, addiction is addiction. Internet addiction wouldn't be any different then gambling or whatever and therefore whatever theories they can make about other addictions should be easily extrapolated to internet usage, including how it relates to depression.

Meh, I don't know if addiction can be applied to every habit done to excess. I'd have to see some evidence that the brain is tripping out in the same way it would over a chemical substance. That said, I think strong cases have been made for food addictions (silly as it sounds), etc.

Sometimes bad habits are just bad habits or unhealthy patterns of behavior.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
It just takes practice. I got married. If I got married, ANYONE can get married.

Ditto that. I'm a certified oddball and I've been married for about 10 years.

If I can, I'm convinced anyone can. It certainly isn't rocket science or brain surgery. Although, I suppose a lobotomy might be in order for even considering such a venture...but...I digress...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I read a book called "Positive Addiction" many years ago. It was based on the fact that even doing needle-point to excess could be considered an addiction. The theory was they do give off some sort of endorphin-like substance to the brain and that's why we find pleasure in them.

Bad habits become bad habits for a reason. Something about it wants us to do it repetitively.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I read a book called "Positive Addiction" many years ago. It was based on the fact that even doing needle-point to excess could be considered an addiction. The theory was they do give off some sort of endorphin-like substance to the brain and that's why we find pleasure in them.

Bad habits become bad habits for a reason. Something about it wants us to do it repetitively.

I guess, but I'm still not comfy with labeling every bad habit an addiction a la crack cocaine.

I'm not negating that there may be some internal and external rewards for the bad habit. I just don't know about giving the same label to a crack addict as, say, an obsessive compulsive needle-pointer. :D

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Or finding a woman who doesn't care if you have little to no social skills. That's what I did. :D

Likewise for the ladies, finding a man who isn't particularly worried about social skills.

Of course, the joke with us has always been "can't find a good one, raise one" but....I'm pretty sure, even if this was an actual thought, that he's abandoned it by now and accepted the loon he married.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Or finding a woman who doesn't care if you have little to no social skills. That's what I did. :D

I thought you uber-law-abidin'-high-fallutin'-jewish types had arranged marriages still :D

(Cheater)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Likewise for the ladies, finding a man who isn't particularly worried about social skills.

Of course, the joke with us has always been "can't find a good one, raise one" but....I'm pretty sure, even if this was an actual thought, that he's abandoned it by now and accepted the loon he married.

We try to get out at the first sign of lunacy. ;)

I thought you uber-law-abidin'-high-fallutin'-jewish types had arranged marriages still :D

(Cheater)

Nah, we don't have arranged marriages. It just looks that way because the dating period is so short. The couple is usually set up, but there is absolutely no obligation to get engaged or marry if either party doesn't want it. Even in the really ultra-orthodox circles, most people date at least 5-6 times before getting engaged. It's rarely a one-and-done deal.

My girlfriend and I have dated for almost 4 months, and I'm religious to a near-zealous degree.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score

I'll never get married. I know it and I've always known it. If there's a list of every single quality that makes a woman unmarriable, I'll have it.

Psychologists from Leeds University found what they said was "striking" evidence that some avid net users develop compulsive Internet habits in which they replace real-life social interaction with online chat rooms and social networking sites.

Most of the real-life social interaction I have outside my friends is with morons. You lot aren't morons. (Well, apart from that one. Yeah, THAT one... ;)) It's why I like it here.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the real-life social interaction I have outside my friends is with morons. You lot aren't morons. (Well, apart from that one. Yeah, THAT one... ;)) It's why I like it here.

Hey!

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I'll never get married. I know it and I've always known it. If there's a list of every single quality that makes a woman unmarriable, I'll have it.

Nah. The only quality that makes a woman unmarriable is being a lesbian, and even then, only in some of the more backwards parts of the world.

Aww... :Hug2: (Unless, of course, I'm that one, in which case :tongue :D )

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't marry a lesbian.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't backwards to not marry a lesbian if you're a straight woman or a man.