Posting a bestseller excerpt Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

ton-sur-ton

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted in Thrillers, but maybe it should be here (too? instead?).

I just read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers and it has shattered my ‘oblivious’ glasses. Now I can see more clearly just exactly why so many novels strike me as half done. And exactly where my manuscript hits the wall [uh, over and over again, I must admit].

In order to test if I’ve learned anything I would like to post an excerpt from a current best selling novelist and ‘improve’ it [seriously, this bad monkey could use some improving] - and hopefully others will try their hand at it along with me so we can all improve together - while getting feedback from the community.

Is that gunna be alright? Are there any steps I’d need to take [change the one or two character names, for example] in order to make it alright? I’d really like to give this a whirl because, although Self-Editing does have helpful exercises, they are not from current bestsellers and they are limited in number.

Note - I turned in my fireproof tights when I gave up crime fighting after the Megapolis economic collapse, so please - no flaming. This is an honest question seeking a direct answer. Note the posts # and you’ll see I’m new here.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have an interesting idea here. I occasionally download free opening chapters from my favorite authors' personal websites, and I compare the work to my own. One of the AW mods will have to say whether or not it's okay for us to post another author's published work, even if we clearly identify it as being written by someone else.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure of the answer, but you might want to start reading the "Learn Writing with Uncle Jim" thread(s) in the Novels forum. He shows a technique of line by line analysis of novel excerpts which sounds like what you want to try.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted in Thrillers, but maybe it should be here (too? instead?).
By "originally," you mean two minutes apart?

It's best to choose only one room per thread. Select the forum that best suits your topic and avoid posting the same discussion in multiple rooms. This way members won't be confused when they respond in one thread, only to find an identical discussion going on elsewhere.

Deleted member 42

I would like to post an excerpt from a current best selling novelist and ‘improve’ it [seriously, this bad monkey could use some improving] - and hopefully others will try their hand at it along with me so we can all improve together - while getting feedback from the community.

Is that gunna be alright? Are there any steps I’d need to take [change the one or two character names, for example] in order to make it alright?

No, really, this is not all right. Please don't do this; I'll get a DMCA note as Web master telling me I have to remove it and it makes me all cranky when I have to deal with them.

Also? You have no way of knowing whose feelings you might hurt--or whom you might piss off--given all the publishing folk and authors who lurk here.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Since folks are already responding here, I'll delete the duplicate in MTS.

ton-sur-ton

Registered
Reaction score
crystal clear

Thanks to medievalist for the clear answer (what's DMCA?), to good word for cleaning my mess, to theit for the link, and to juliehowe for not making me feel alone. jh you have a pm.

And - what the? to silver king. Snippy non-answers from a Mod? Rolloff the bed on the OTHER side tomorrow why doncha?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a copyright no-no.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
And - what the? to silver king. Snippy non-answers from a Mod? Rolloff the bed on the OTHER side tomorrow why doncha?

There was nothing snippy about Silver King's post. As a moderator he was simply making you aware that you should not post the same thread in multiple rooms. And he told you why; That members won't be confused when they respond in one thread, only to find an identical discussion going on elsewhere on the forums.

Now, thanks to your snippy reply, you have two moderators telling you about not posting duplicate threads, and one moderator telling you not to be snippy with other members (moderator or not) who are trying to help and guide you to the proper etiquette about posting on these (very large and very busy) forums :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.