Questions to Ask Agent Before Signing

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I'm there yet, but I figure it'd be good to have a list in place just in case it ever did happen. Otherwise I'd be too nervous and just say YES YEEESSS.

So, what types of things do you bring up/talk about/ask when talking to an agent who's offered representation?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I'm there yet, but I figure it'd be good to have a list in place just in case it ever did happen. Otherwise I'd be too nervous and just say YES YEEESSS.

So, what types of things do you bring up/talk about/ask when talking to an agent who's offered representation?

Agent Rachelle Gardner did a post on the questions you should ask a prospective agent, and I used her list as a starting point in preparing for my agent calls. It's a pretty comprehensive list. Here's the link:

http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/2009/05/questions-to-ask-agent.html

I also was most concerned with how the agent saw the book fitting in the market, his thoughts on the relationship during the revision and submission process and his expectations regarding communications.

~suki

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Will you answer my e-mails within one working day?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will you answer my e-mails within one working day?

LOL, I'd phrase it a little differently, but that's the kind of thing you are trying to find out - under ordinary circumstances (ie, not vacation, not out sick, not spending a hell week on an auction for another client, etc), how often does the agent pass on information, respond to emails, do they prefer phone or email, etc.

In actuality, though, I didn't have to ask this direct a question - I asked, "How do you see communication?" And he explained his response time and availability and pretty much all the more specific things I wanted to know.

Any experienced agent will, to some extent, know the kind of things you'll want to know. So ask whatever questions you have.

~suki