PDA

View Full Version : First Rejection on a Full

Ugawa
02-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Yup. As the title says. My first ever rejection on a Full.

Thank you for sharing your work with me. This is an absolutely
wonderful conceptóit's original, fun, and I can see a lot of young
readers liking this--but Iím afraid that this is not quite right for
me.

That said, I sincerely hope you will continue writing and sending out
your work. If you haven't done so already, you may wish to look at The
Jeff Herman Guide to Editors, Publishers, and Literary Agents - there,
you should be able to find someone who's a better fit for your work.

Very best of luck with this and future projects.

All best wishes,

It could've been worse, I guess. I don't know if that's a form rejection, but I still think it's a nice way of saying no.

x

Calla Lily
02-03-2010, 12:38 AM
:Hug2: Chocolate. And send it out again!

dawinsor
02-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Oh ow. Now, take a breath, and keep going. Your concept is marketable. The full request showed that. You just have to find the right match with an agent.

IHeartWriting
02-03-2010, 02:40 AM
It's a rite of passage --- congrats!

Bushdoctor
02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
chin up

Scoates
02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
That makes my empathy hurt.

kaitie
02-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Smile at Edward and know that you've got a killer concept and he said so himself. My first thought is ooh you're that close you'll definitely get it. :)

Ugawa
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I just hope the other agents with material don't feel the same.

x

thothguard51
02-03-2010, 06:18 PM
One agents pass is another agents bread and butter. Or something like that...

Congrats on getting such a wonderful reply for a rejection...

Roly
02-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Keep your chin up and keep moving forward! It's all just a part of the process...it only takes one YES.

I read one post on Kristin Nelson's blog where she mentioned (quite bravely I might add) how she passed on a full she really liked but in the end didn't like quite enough to offer representation. That project's now on the bestseller's list (Shiver).

Of course, it's not like a 'take that' moment or anything. It just goes to show that the agent rejecting your work may have just been *that close* to accepting but in the end just wasn't enthusiastic enough about it. That's a good thing - after all, you want someone that loves your full so much that he/she's willing to become a cheerleader for you work. As a writer, you just can't accepting anything less!

cscarlet
02-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Awww I was all prepared to see something horrid and cruel! This is GOOD news!!! You have a great concept, and an agent requested a FULL! You'll run into plenty of "just not the right fits" I'm sure, but then you'll find someone perfect for YOU and it will all be worth it in the end. :)

wittyusernamehere
02-04-2010, 02:15 AM
That makes my empathy hurt. lol great line.

Margarita Skies
02-04-2010, 05:02 AM
The key phrase in this is "But I'm afraid it's not quite right for me

The agent also said that it's an original and fun concept and many young adults would enjoy reading it. I am rephrasing it to remind you of it because that is something that would make me feel good personally, and the reason is that I would think... "many young adults would enjoy it but it's not right for you." That would give me a lot of confidence. I would feel badly if the person said that no one would like the book if they read it. Just trying to highlight the bright side of this, so don't feel badly and don't give up. Many of the most wonderful writers today have gotten dozens of rejection letters on books that today are bestsellers, so they obviously didn't give up. Neither should you.

Sincerely
Magali.

cate townsend
02-09-2010, 01:33 AM
If one liked your concept enough to invest in reading more, then no doubt others will too. Hang in there.

razilber
02-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Maybe not the right time now, but I am sure its coming, keep sending your manuscript!
Congratulations on your tremendous effort!

Inkblot
02-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Ugawa, that doesn't sound like a form rejection to me. Believe the agent! You're on the right track -- just keep going!