Annoying/pricey car repairs?

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
This would be for a blog post on savings. Something to the effect of, "You're just about to hit a savings goal, and then the car needs ______."

I'm drawing a blank on what would be short and punchy enough, and would fit the situation. Thoughts?

ricketybridge

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not a car expert, but have you ever listened to Car Talk? They always have tons of callers with hilarious random problems with their car. You might be able to find something good there. :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
catalytic converter: $1000 on my 2003 Subaru. Mine needs to be replaced right now :( Transmission costs even more, I shudder to think about it.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Software upgrade on power locks. Just had that one done.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A new exhaust system

New tires

A new transmission

New air bags (after you hit the No Parking sign at the neighborhood Sav-A-Lot)

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Replacing front struts - typically $700 or more. Not easy for the home mechanic to do.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
In early 1990's a clutch for my 1983 manual-transmission Accord was about $500. The engine, transmission, etc. are all in one piece under the hood, so almost all of the cost is the labor to take it all apart and put it back together. I wouldn't be surprised if it's twice that now. With as much mileage I put on my latest Accord (it was really bad in November with daily NaNoWriMo write-ins) I may find out soon enough.

New key for a 2003 (manual transmission, they still make 'em!) Accord, because they have to "program" it with the right code for the car: $150, but I've heard for other model cars it's as high as $400.

New key (just for comparison - I also got this recently) at Ace Hardware for 1991 Ford F-150 truck: $0.95.

Seeing another car's trunk pop open when I press the "unlock the car" button on my 2003 Accord key: Free AND priceless.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
I just had to get an expensive new key as well (I think I thew out my spare by accident). Argh.

What of some sort of prank/sabotage? Like having someone key your car? Or put sugar in the gas tank (but not that example - mythbusters disprove it).

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Clutch is indeed a pain as on my car, they had to take the engine out to get to it. Expensive exercise.

Spaeking of which, an engine is also a very expensive thing to have to replace!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff here. Y'all are awesome.

(though I'm sorry there's so much firsthand knowledge of this subject!)

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Air conditioning compressor, about $800
Alternator (which makes your car stop running), $300

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
For me, anything other than an oil change.

But: transmission and brakes come to mind.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I hate the "check engine" light.

It comes on all the time (seems like) and costs $300 - $500 to have fixed. You have to pay for the sensor & have the computer re-programed.

Oh, oh, and there are FOUR of them on most vehicles. PLUS, inferior gas or contaminated gas (with water or dirt or sand or ????) make the oxygen sensors fail.

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
Small dent on rear quarter - the only panel on the car that can't be easily replaced.

Got it from some anonymous person who bashed their door into my car. Hundreds of pounds/dollars to fix or I can just live with it.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Six-way power seat - $1,100
Automatic Transmission - $4,200
Power transfer box (4-wheel drive) - $2,400
Those are some of the big ones.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The sun roof motor dying... with the sun roof in the open position. You can't have a permanent hole in the top of your car, so it has to be fixed. And since it's a non-essential thing, it's ANNOYING. Mine was around $900 to fix.

And naturally, the day it broke, there was a huge thunderstorm. In the pouring down rain, I was trying to cover the top of the car with a tarp, and it kept blowing back and smacking me in the face. Again, ANNOYING!

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
The electric window dying in the open position. The engine dying and needing to be replaced. Grit getting into the fuel tank, when it turns out they don't make that shape fuel tank anymore and there are no second hand ones in the country. Did you know it's cheaper to replace a fuel tank than clean one out? The mechanic had to get someone who works on airplanes to split it open thanks to the petrol fumes.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Brake lines. Just spent $1,400 fixing those on my 2003 Suburban. It had been spending much of its time sitting in the dirt driveway, while we drove other vehicles. It doesn't even have that many miles on it. But because it sat on dirt, the brake lines rusted out. It now sits on pavement, when it has to sit.