Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've always taken this as an obvious side of writing - happiness from creating a story and assumed that was the same for all writers. There's nothing specific to suggest otherwise but at the same time I have read the occasional post here that makes me wonder if all writers are made happy by what we do.

So, does writing make you happy or is that not important to you? Is it just a business, a way of getting paid?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yes, writing makes me happy, even when I'm swearing about it. I'd only be swearing about something else. :D I find it....satisfying to overcome the challenges of each story.

Having other people like what I write and willing to pay for it is a very nice bonus though.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It definitely makes me happy. If I think back at the end of a good day and analyze why I'm in such a good mood, it's always (except for special occasions) because it's been a good writing day. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy the writing process, but God, no, writing does not make me happy. I'd hate to live a life where such a thing was even possible.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't a career for me so my perspective may be different. While I want my work to be good enough to publish someday, I see everything I work on until that point (and even after, really) as practice. I enjoy it, but I bring what enthusiasm I have about life to my writing; I don't draw happiness from what I create.

So I guess, no. Writing doesn't make me happy. It's a creative outlet for me. Like music.

Good question :)

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
While I am writing I am not happy. It's only afterward (like, the next day), that I look back and realize that yes, I did enjoy doing that. It's a vicious cycle.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
So, does writing make you happy or is that not important to you?

Yes, it makes me happy, or at least content. For real happiness I'd need to have that pony I've always wanted.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Good question. For me, writing is challenging, satisfying and ultimately quite a bit of fun, most of the time. I'd say it does make me happy, yes. I would HATE to spend this amount of time doing something that didn't. I wonder why anyone would. Although I complain about my day job, it does make me happy at times as well, because I know I'm good at it and it makes me the money I need to help my family live well. Challenge and a feeling of satisfaction lead to happiness.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Hell yeah. Daily writing happiness ranges from satisfied-I-got-some-work-done to ecstatic-I-made-something-beautiful. But as the bumper stickers say: A bad day writing is better than a good day fishing. Or something like that.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing makes me happier. Even when I'm pulling my hair out over plot.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think if I stopped writing, I'd be miserable. So it must make me happy. But that's not to say that the process sometimes drives me crazy. :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, does writing make you happy or is that not important to you? Is it just a business, a way of getting paid?

Both; I write scientific articles for my job. Although I carry some professional flavor to my fiction (there's a science element to many of my stories) when I go home I don't want to even think about what I do all day in the office.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it makes me happy, or at least content. For real happiness I'd need to have that pony I've always wanted.
I have five horses- while I love them- I don't have to clean up after I write:tongue

And yes, writing makes me happy.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I love writing, I love the process, I love the outcome. I love and hate subbing. I love the heartpounding excitement of an acceptance letter, I love getting the checks, I hate the drop in enthusiasm after a rejection letter, I hate editing and rewriting. I love seeing the improvement in my writing, seeing my writing hit new heights. I hate finding out that no, the piece isn't perfect just because I love it. :D I love it when someone finally says the piece is ready and love it even more when the contract is signed.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Very much! It's why I do it. It's also why I won't be devastated if I don't get published because it's not why I started doing it. :)

kdbeaar

Trying to finish at least 1 ms!
Registered
Reaction score
Very. The only thing that would make me happier would be if it WAS my business, and I was getting paid!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Happy.
Sad.
Frustrated.
Annoyed.
Content.
Angry.
Elated.
Triumphant.