PDA

View Full Version : Does writing make you happy?

seun
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I've always taken this as an obvious side of writing - happiness from creating a story and assumed that was the same for all writers. There's nothing specific to suggest otherwise but at the same time I have read the occasional post here that makes me wonder if all writers are made happy by what we do.

So, does writing make you happy or is that not important to you? Is it just a business, a way of getting paid?

Mr Flibble
02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Yes, writing makes me happy, even when I'm swearing about it. I'd only be swearing about something else. :D I find it....satisfying to overcome the challenges of each story.

Having other people like what I write and willing to pay for it is a very nice bonus though.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Happier than anything - or anyone - else ever has done.

Sophia
02-02-2010, 05:48 PM
It definitely makes me happy. If I think back at the end of a good day and analyze why I'm in such a good mood, it's always (except for special occasions) because it's been a good writing day. :)

Jamesaritchie
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I enjoy the writing process, but God, no, writing does not make me happy. I'd hate to live a life where such a thing was even possible.

cwfgal
02-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I enjoy the writing process, but God, no, writing does not make me happy. I'd hate to live a life where such a thing was even possible.

Seriously? Or is this intended to be tongue-in-cheek?

Beth

Cella
02-02-2010, 06:17 PM
It isn't a career for me so my perspective may be different. While I want my work to be good enough to publish someday, I see everything I work on until that point (and even after, really) as practice. I enjoy it, but I bring what enthusiasm I have about life to my writing; I don't draw happiness from what I create.

So I guess, no. Writing doesn't make me happy. It's a creative outlet for me. Like music.

Good question :)

Sevvy
02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
While I am writing I am not happy. It's only afterward (like, the next day), that I look back and realize that yes, I did enjoy doing that. It's a vicious cycle.

Adam
02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Lurve it.

aadams73
02-02-2010, 06:40 PM
So, does writing make you happy or is that not important to you?

Yes, it makes me happy, or at least content. For real happiness I'd need to have that pony I've always wanted.

CaroGirl
02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Good question. For me, writing is challenging, satisfying and ultimately quite a bit of fun, most of the time. I'd say it does make me happy, yes. I would HATE to spend this amount of time doing something that didn't. I wonder why anyone would. Although I complain about my day job, it does make me happy at times as well, because I know I'm good at it and it makes me the money I need to help my family live well. Challenge and a feeling of satisfaction lead to happiness.

Phaeal
02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Hell yeah. Daily writing happiness ranges from satisfied-I-got-some-work-done to ecstatic-I-made-something-beautiful. But as the bumper stickers say: A bad day writing is better than a good day fishing. Or something like that.

Namatu
02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Nothing makes me happier. Even when I'm pulling my hair out over plot.

seun
02-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Can I ask why?

soapdish
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
I think if I stopped writing, I'd be miserable. So it must make me happy. But that's not to say that the process sometimes drives me crazy. :)

Snowstorm
02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I love it. The mental work and creativity are addictive.

Chris P
02-02-2010, 07:11 PM
So, does writing make you happy or is that not important to you? Is it just a business, a way of getting paid?

Both; I write scientific articles for my job. Although I carry some professional flavor to my fiction (there's a science element to many of my stories) when I go home I don't want to even think about what I do all day in the office.

C.M.C.
02-02-2010, 07:16 PM
It does when I have something worth working on.

sheadakota
02-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes, it makes me happy, or at least content. For real happiness I'd need to have that pony I've always wanted.
I have five horses- while I love them- I don't have to clean up after I write:tongue

And yes, writing makes me happy.

Pesimisticus
02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Writing makes me intensely happy.

Topaz044
02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes, writing makes me happy and is a good way to de-stress.

icerose
02-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I love writing, I love the process, I love the outcome. I love and hate subbing. I love the heartpounding excitement of an acceptance letter, I love getting the checks, I hate the drop in enthusiasm after a rejection letter, I hate editing and rewriting. I love seeing the improvement in my writing, seeing my writing hit new heights. I hate finding out that no, the piece isn't perfect just because I love it. :D I love it when someone finally says the piece is ready and love it even more when the contract is signed.

charlotte49ers
02-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Very much! It's why I do it. It's also why I won't be devastated if I don't get published because it's not why I started doing it. :)

kdbeaar
02-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Very. The only thing that would make me happier would be if it WAS my business, and I was getting paid!

Cyia
02-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Happy.
Sad.
Frustrated.
Annoyed.
Content.
Angry.
Elated.
Triumphant.
Stonewalled.
Blase.
Bored.
Confused.
Victorious.
Incensed.
Blissful.
Thrilled.
Bi-polar.
Tri-polar.
Scattered.
Nervous.
Ecstatic.
Doubtful.
Joyous.
Accomplished.

alecya_giovanni
02-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I think asking if writing makes me happy is that same thing as aking if reading makes me happy. It is all about semantics. I enjoy reading , although sometimes I read things that make me sad, and i love to write even though sometimes I feel frustrated with my writing. Writing is cathartic for me, so sometimes I don't want to be happy when I write. Sometimes Iwant to be at the keyboard bawling my eyes out. If I've had a day where someone makes me mad, i fume at the computer and stomp off to my blog.

Does writing help me be emotionally healthy? I think so. Do I love writing, would I be worse off if I couldn't write? Yeah. But do I always finish my writing with a smile on my face, no - not always.

Amarie
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't know if happy is the right word for the feeling I have. It's more a mix of the whole list Cyia posted. I think of happiness as an uncomplicated emotion, and what I feel while writing is not uncomplicated. Reading (not my own work) makes me happy.

Lisa Cox
02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Yes! I certainly wouldn't spend so much time on it if it didn't.

kuwisdelu
02-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Writing doesn't make me happy.

Having written something I like makes me ecstatic.

CaroGirl
02-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Writing doesn't make me happy.

Having written something I like makes me ecstatic.
Is that truly distinguishable? How can you write something without then having written it?

kuwisdelu
02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Is that truly distinguishable? How can you write something without then having written it?

The act of writing something doesn't make me happy.

When I've written it and it's there and I can say "I wrote that" ó that feeling makes me happy.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-02-2010, 09:35 PM
If it doesn't make me happy, then it's not worth doing. I write the stories I love, if other people love them too that's a lovely bonus.

seun
02-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Seems there's support for the happiness angle. It does me, too, although being published (or even getting as far as having an agent want to look at my stuff) would put a big old smile on my face.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Okay, this is a bit of a religious angle but...God is the creator and we're made in His image. Therefore it seems like we're only fulfilling our calling when we're doing something creative.

The above observation should be tempered by the fact I've just eaten loads of sweets so as well as my precription beta-blockers, I'm also on a sugar high.

So you should probably ignore me altogether.

Jamesaritchie
02-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Seriously? Or is this intended to be tongue-in-cheek?

Beth

It's both, really. Tongue in cheek because I am happy when writing, but it is not writing that makes me happy, and thank God for it. If I never wrote another word, I'd still be a very, very happy man. If I never wrote word one, I'd still be a very, very happy man.

I'm happy because I have a wife I love, and have for thirty years. I'm happy because I have great kids, and wonderful grandkids. I'm happy because of friends who are always there.

Spending a rainy afternoon drinking coffee and talking to a friend I haven't seen in a long while makes me happy.

Writing is simply something I enjoy doing, just like I enjoy playing football, or rock climbing, or spelunking. It just pays better.

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Writing is just a process where I'm too busy to have any emotion other than concentration.

But it certainly isn't a business since I haven't been paid yet, Now THAT would make me happy.

Izz
02-03-2010, 12:22 AM
If i don't write i'm unhappy.

Claudia Gray
02-03-2010, 01:23 AM
It makes me tremendously happy, even the snaggy draggy parts of it, which is fortunate given that I hope to keep at it forever.

HighDesertBrat
02-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Writing is a job for me, and I love it. That's why I chose it as my job.
But, no, writing doesn't make me happy. I believe happiness is a choice. Nothing and no one has the power to make me either happy or unhappy.

Sarashay
02-03-2010, 07:08 AM
As I often put it, I am a writer the way other people are drinkers and smokers. It is a compulsive habit that I indulge in to ease the pains of day-to-day living.

Matera the Mad
02-03-2010, 08:13 AM
*.'-..riting iz gud drug..-* :banana:

nitaworm
02-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Yep it does - in an obsessive compulsive way. I can't stop writing no matter what.

Nateskate
02-03-2010, 08:45 AM
I love the characters and world much like I enjoy characters and worlds in other people's novels.

I love the creative process.

I get frustrated when I can't seem to get a section of the story right. There are highs and lows.

backslashbaby
02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Very rarely would I call it happy. It's the feeling I get when solving something, which I really love :) But I think it's hard, so it doesn't really feel happy.

It feels challenging, and I always love that, even as I'm cussing and scaring the dogs ;)

anotherday12
02-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Writing makes me happy but at the same time it sometimes can make me want to bang my head against my desk :Headbang:

And since banging my head against my desk isn't good, I swear. Unfortunately, I swear so much when I get frustrated with writing sometimes I could probably make a sailor blush or I look around and get surprised that even came out of my mouth :Shrug:

Breddings
02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I haven't considered this question in a while. Before writing was my living I used to think about it a lot. Back then I was writing fiction and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was extremely satisfying to know when I was on to a good story. I think what made me happy about that process was creating a story. Writing just happened to be the best medium.

Now that I've fallen backwards into this non-fiction career, I hardly even think about whether or not I am enjoying myself. It's a job. I am probably happier for having finished a project than in the writing involved; writing just happens to be the way that I do it. However, I am more content in this job than any that I've had in the past and - and this is just now occurring to me - I've been doing this for longer than I worked for any previous employer back when I was punching the clock.

heyjude
02-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes, yes, yes, it makes me happy. Writing gets me through dark times (hence the "making my own sunshine"). I love everything about it, even when it drives me crazy.

kaitie
02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Yup. :D Without a doubt. Even just writing in my head and playing with my characters does. :)

Matera the Mad
02-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Heehee that's the best part

Monkey
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
When I'm writing, I'm focused...I worry at my work like a dog with a bone, and am usually not even aware when people speak to me.

If things start to get too bogged down, I shut my computer and walk away in defeat, feeling like I've lost a battle, even though I'm determined to win the war. I have to go and re-strategize, which sometimes takes hours, sometimes weeks. During that time, I'm not happy, per se, but I'm pleasantly and intensely occupied, mentally--if there's not something real-world demanding my attention at that very moment, I'm focused on my novel. I'll be doing the dishes, my mouth working as I imagine what one character will be saying to another.

On the other hand, if the writing is flowing and coming out great, I get almost giddy. Sometimes, I get too much of a rush and I just can't stand it--I'm so happy and proud of what I've written (it just MIGHT be GOOD ENOUGH!) that I have to ask my husband (an English teacher) for the roughest, toughest, most mean-spirited critique he can give, just to bring me down-to-Earth enough to see my work as it is, and to keep me diligent.

As you can probably tell, I'm extremely emotional. And I need to write, because without some sort of creative outlet, I feel pent-up and restless, no matter how happy my life would otherwise be. Everything can be going great, but if I'm not writing, there's something missing...so, yes, at times writing makes me happy, but in general it's one of the many ingredients that keep me happy.

Oh, and I have ponies. Fine little Caspians (which are technically horses, but at about 10 hands--that's forty inches--at the shoulder). So if anyone needs to borrow...
:D

Eddyz Aquila
02-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Writing doesn't make me happy, but it transponds me into a world which I want to see - for the moments when I am writing at full speed I am in my own world, oblivious to everything around.

During those moments, you live in a movie. The movie YOU want to see. And that's the best.

PoppysInARow
02-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Writing does make me happy, that's why I do it. But I'm also a very business oriented person, and so sometimes it's difficult for me to write what I love compared to what's marketable. I wrote a piece that appealed to the market, that I liked and didn't love. But recently I've written something I truly love, and it reminded me why I go through so mny queries, rejections, revisions, revisions, revisions.

It is a job to me. One day I'll get paid for it. But overall, it's a passion. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't write.

Ardelie
02-04-2010, 12:32 AM
There are only two things that rival my happiness in writing: my husband and my boston terrier. To me, writing is just as passionate as loving a person.

willietheshakes
02-04-2010, 12:46 AM
I used to be a swimmer -- a lifeguard, not a competitive swimmer. For several years, I was in the habit of swimming 5 km a night, just as a matter of course.

While I was in this habit, I was dating the woman who I would later end up marrying, and it was she who pointed out to me that, if I missed a night worth of swimming, she would be able to tell by noon the next day. I would be... surly. Short-tempered. A little mean. And by that evening, she would be INSISTING that I swim, and would accept no excuses.

Writing effects me the same way.

scarletpeaches
02-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Does it AFFECT your spelling too? :D

willietheshakes
02-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Does it AFFECT your spelling too? :D

cough*that'sitovermykneelass*cough

honeysock
02-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Was it Douglas Adams who said "I hate writing but I love having written"?

That's me. So, having written makes me happy. Searching for an agent makes me
m i s e r a b l e, because it keeps me from having written.

Jamesaritchie
02-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Writing does make me happy, that's why I do it. But I'm also a very business oriented person, and so sometimes it's difficult for me to write what I love compared to what's marketable. I wrote a piece that appealed to the market, that I liked and didn't love. But recently I've written something I truly love, and it reminded me why I go through so mny queries, rejections, revisions, revisions, revisions.

It is a job to me. One day I'll get paid for it. But overall, it's a passion. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't write.

I tink good business means never writing something because you think it's marketable. Good business, and good money, comes from writing what you most love to write.

seun
02-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Good business, and good money, comes from writing what you most love to write.

As does happiness - at least for me.

Alpha Echo
02-04-2010, 06:21 PM
It's both, really. Tongue in cheek because I am happy when writing, but it is not writing that makes me happy, and thank God for it. If I never wrote another word, I'd still be a very, very happy man. If I never wrote word one, I'd still be a very, very happy man.

I'm happy because I have a wife I love, and have for thirty years. I'm happy because I have great kids, and wonderful grandkids. I'm happy because of friends who are always there.

Spending a rainy afternoon drinking coffee and talking to a friend I haven't seen in a long while makes me happy.

Writing is simply something I enjoy doing, just like I enjoy playing football, or rock climbing, or spelunking. It just pays better.

This is me.

I don't think writing makes me happy. I love it, and I get writing highs when I like what I've written or when someone else likes it or when I spit out 5k in one day. But, I don't need to do it everyday to be happy. I have a passion for writing, but my real passion lies in my family and friends and LIFE.

kuwisdelu
02-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Writing isn't life?

Uh oh.

Jamesaritchie
02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Writing isn't life?

Uh oh.

Not for me. Writing is about life, but if you don't have a life, if you don't get out there and live, what are you going to write about?

LuckyH
02-04-2010, 08:58 PM
If against-the-clock-editing is writing, then I hate it, but I donít consider editing as part of the writing process, in the same way as a chef doesnít like to do the washing-up.

Otherwise, Iím totally addicted to it; if Iím ever in a place where I donít have pen and paper, Iím inconsolably miserable.

willietheshakes
02-04-2010, 09:04 PM
If against-the-clock-editing is writing, then I hate it, but I donít consider editing as part of the writing process, in the same way as a chef doesnít like to do the washing-up.

With all due respect, that's a HORRIBLE analogy.

If you're gonna stick with the chef metaphor -- editing and revising is probably more equivalent to plating, saucing and garnishing, focussing on presentation and appeal.

Washing-up would be... I dunno, shipping?

kuwisdelu
02-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Not for me. Writing is about life, but if you don't have a life, if you don't get out there and live, what are you going to write about?

I see what you mean, but that doesn't mean writing can't be an integral part of that life. Why does it have to be separate?

DeleyanLee
02-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Many people have a WIP (Work In Progress), I have a MIP (Manuscript/Migraine/Mess/Monster/Masterpiece In Progress).

I have many emotions about and while writing. I think "MIP" pretty much expresses them all. Happiness is but one of them.

HelloKiddo
02-05-2010, 01:27 AM

If you are alive, then you have a life. That's what you write about. If writing is your life (and I'm not saying it should be) you could write about that.

Jamesaritchie
02-05-2010, 01:46 AM
If you are alive, then you have a life. That's what you write about. If writing is your life (and I'm not saying it should be) you could write about that.

No, just being alive is not a life. If it were, then coma victims have a life. Just sitting in a closed room and writing is not a life, either.

A life involves other people, both family and friends. It also invoves being a serious part of your community, your country, and your world. It means being involved in things outside yourself, and in doing your best to make the world a better place when you leave than when you came in.

I know a big bunch of living people who have no life at all. They sit, they take, they waste what they call a "life", and when they die they leave the same hole you leave in water when you pull out your finger.

You really have two choices. You can lead a life worth writing about, or you can write about those who do have a life worth writing about. Given the choice, I'll take the former.

HelloKiddo
02-05-2010, 01:57 AM
No, just being alive is not a life. If it were, then coma victims have a life. Just sitting in a closed room and writing is not a life, either.

I considered when I wrote my first post adding that everybody alive has a life except those in a coma, but I decided against it. You're still alive in a coma. That's your life.

A life involves other people, both family and friends. It also invoves being a serious part of your community, your country, and your world. It means being involved in things outside yourself, and in doing your best to make the world a better place when you leave than when you came in.

Nope. Untrue. Some of history's greatest artists were reclusive people with practically no "life" as you define it.

I know a big bunch of living people who have no life at all. They sit, they take, they waste what they call a "life", and when they die they leave the same hole you leave in water when you pull out your finger.

That is deeply offensive and you should be ashamed of yourself for having written it.

kuwisdelu
02-05-2010, 02:09 AM
It also invoves being a serious part of your community, your country, and your world. It means being involved in things outside yourself, and in doing your best to make the world a better place when you leave than when you came in.

Isn't that kinda sorta what good writing should do?

The Lonely One
02-05-2010, 03:59 AM
Writing makes me happy, but I'm kind of with JAR on this one, the way I see my own life. I love many things in life; it doesn't make me a hobbyist writer--I do submit for intent of publication. I just see the value of all things and like to keep a healthy perspective about my actual human relationships and other endeavors. Doesn't mean that way's for everyone. Being reclusive has its upsides, too, of course.

scheherazade
02-05-2010, 05:59 AM
Sometimes ecstatic. Sometimes miserable, especially that baby pulls a tantrum and refuses to be written. Writing is a little like working out, for me. I hate getting to the gym. I hate putting on the outfit. There's sometimes pain involved. But once I get going and the endorphins start coursing there's nowhere else I'd rather be. And my mood (and my figure!) is all the better for it in the long run.

LuckyH
02-05-2010, 07:56 AM
With all due respect, that's a HORRIBLE analogy.

If you're gonna stick with the chef metaphor -- editing and revising is probably more equivalent to plating, saucing and garnishing, focussing on presentation and appeal.

Washing-up would be... I dunno, shipping?

I have to agree, garnishing is more apt than washing-up.

Mr. Anonymous
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
no. Having written makes me feel satisfied though.

nighttimer
02-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I had a really good steak this week. That made me happy.

Last night, my wife and I were naked in bed and kissing and cuddling. That made me happy.

My daughter came home with a pretty good report card and my son went out to find a job. I wasn't all that happy, but I was pleased.

The last time I got published somewhere I really busted my ass to get into and they scratched me a check and I bought something with it, was the last time writing made me happy. But only because I like money.

Writing doesn't make me happy. Having written makes me happy. Writing is something I do because when I don't I'm a right miserable bastard. I'm pretty good at it sometimes, but it's never been something I'd skip sex for.

:e2BIC: Writing is cool, but I'd rather get laid.

blacbird
02-05-2010, 11:50 AM
So, does writing make you happy or is that not important to you?

When it goes well enough to make me forget for a while that nobody will ever read it, yeah, it makes me happy.

Is it just a business, a way of getting paid?

Obviously neither.

caw

Selanfene
02-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Writing makes me extremely happy. I don't notice it until afterwards, but after a few days of getting a lot of writing done, I'll suddenly realise I'm happier than I am any other time.

StandJustSo
02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I am happy with my life, but writing is what completes it for me. It is a gift I give myself, and when I am immersed in it, I am happy to the bottom of my soul.

Monkey
02-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Some people are saying that writing doesn't make them happy; life does. I don't see the distinction...

This morning, I woke up before my husband or kids (the two kids that aren't in college, anyway--no telling what my oldest was up to). I went to each of them in turn and gave them a little kiss. It made me happy to see them there, peacefully sleeping--so happy that I almost cried. (I really am that emotional. All the time.) Then I went out to feed my beautiful horses, and that made me happy, too. I fed the chickens and collected eggs, (which always makes me happy--I raise chickens that lay blue, green, brown, pink, white, and speckled eggs, and it's fun to see what I get each morning) then snuck back into the bedroom, where my bow hangs on a peg, grabbed it and went out to shoot. Each little "thwack" as the arrows hit the target not only made me happy, but brought me a deep sense of peace, as well. The dogs that cavorted around me (much like the cat that slept on my chest last night) made me happy, too.

Now I've sat down to write, and it's one more thing in my rather full life that makes me very happy. Why shouldn't it? Just because all these other things are valid and happy and real, that doesn't make writing any less so. It's no more seperate from my life than feeding the horses, or shooting my bow, or kissing my children in the morning. Yes, kissing the kids is the most important part...but I can't kiss my oldest good morning any more, and life goes on. I'll kiss 'im when I see 'im, and in the meantime, I'll shoot and feed things and write--in other words, I'll live my life.

I write because it makes me happy...the same reason I'm going to do just about everything else I'm going do today (yay, weekends!) The only other reasons to do anything, IMO, are survival and duty, and writing doesn't fit into those categories for me (if it were my sole income, it might fit into them all).

ishtar'sgate
02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Happy probably isn't the right word for me. Sometimes I'm ecstatic, sometimes I'm miserable (can't get the darned sentence to work:rant:), sometimes I'm merely content. Mostly though, I'm driven. I need to write. I get quite agitated if other things crowd out the time I normally set aside for writing

Kitty27
02-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Writing makes me ecstatic. It's like dark chocolate and a pair of stilettos. Just wonderful. It soothes,calms,and makes life lovely. It's my drug for life.

S.J.
02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
If it didn't make me happy, I wouldn't do it. My favourite part is the chills-down-your-spine-I-just-wrote-an-amazing-scene feeling. :)

tiny
02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Writing is cathartic for me. It clears my thoughts and helps me maintain my happiness.

Moost
02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Writing is cathartic for me. It clears my thoughts and helps me maintain my happiness.

This. Writing makes me happy. Trying to get published doesn't. So, I stick to writing.

NeuroFizz
02-13-2010, 12:44 AM
It's not necessarily the writing, but the sense of creating and being creative that does (and doesn't have to involve a single word being put on paper). Gives me a big 'ol cerebral boner.

Jamesaritchie
02-13-2010, 12:56 AM
I believe wirters should enjoy the process of writing. Life is too short to spend very much time doing things you don't enjoy. But it really scares me that writing actually makes some people happy.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you aren't happy when you aren't writing, if you wouldn't be happy without ever writing another word, I think you've got a problem writing can't cure.

Maybe it's just the word "happy" that's throwing me, but "happy" is something that should come from the life around you, not from writing.

Izz
02-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Maybe it's just the word "happy" that's throwing me, but "happy" is something that should come from the life around you, not from writing.Perhaps people are interpreting the word differently? Sounds like (and correct me if i'm wrong) you're equating happy with deep-seated contentment, whereas others may be equating happy with pleasure?

gideonna
02-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Writing makes me happy, but it's just one interest out of many.

Treyfan
02-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Writing makes me happy. Writing has always helped me to express myself. Without that outlet, I don't know what I would have done (thinking back to when I was a teen, lol).

I love having complete control over my reader. I can make them sad, happy, horny, excited, scared, thoughtful, etc. with the worlds I create. I love being able to do that. In that single moment, they are MINE to manipulate, I have the power!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeA7a0uS3A (@33 seconds: I...have...the POWER!)

Guess that makes me a sadist, lol.

jodiodi
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
I enjoy writing and feel happy when I'm in the midst of it and it's going well. I don't think anything or anyone outside of a person can 'make' another happy. Happiness is an intrinsic thing. the feeling of happiness, however, arises from many things, writing being one of them, for me.

kuwisdelu
02-13-2010, 11:54 AM
I believe wirters should enjoy the process of writing. Life is too short to spend very much time doing things you don't enjoy. But it really scares me that writing actually makes some people happy.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you aren't happy when you aren't writing, if you wouldn't be happy without ever writing another word, I think you've got a problem writing can't cure.

Maybe it's just the word "happy" that's throwing me, but "happy" is something that should come from the life around you, not from writing.

I disagree.

Happiness has to start internally, just like writing does.

I don't know if it must be writing, but no, no I can't imagine being truly happy if I couldn't do something creative with my life.

If I were the last person in the world, I'd still be writing. Or painting or making music. Even if there were no one else to read or see or hear it. Creativity is what keeps me sane. It's human.

ElsaM
02-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Making up stories makes me happy like nothing else. Writing them down in a manner that would please other people is incredibly difficult and frustrating.
Except for when it's not, and then that makes me happy too :)

DrZoidberg
02-13-2010, 05:36 PM
It can't be just pleasure. I like to think of it in terms of fulfilment. Wanking makes me happy... but I don't do that all day anyway. It's simply not enough. There has to be some sense of accomplishment. When I've completed a piece, the sense of accomplishment is profound. It's those moments I write for. The journey is mostly pain, punctured by bouts of ecstasy.

cscarlet
02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes, writing makes me very happy. I'm not quite sure my final PRODUCT always does ;) ... But the actual act of writing makes me very happy, and I find it relaxing.

Money has no bearing on my writing. I have a great job, and I actually do quite well financially. Most of my journal articles have been scientific, so I haven't gotten paid for them. My novel is something I'm doing for fun as I travel and if it never sees the light of day, the journey to completion would still have been worth it.

scarletpeaches
02-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Maybe it's just the word "happy" that's throwing me, but "happy" is something that should come from the life around you, not from writing.You'e mentioned your family being one of the main causes of happiness in your life in other posts, James...whereas the thought of having kids is my idea of a nightmare.

Different things make different people happy. For me, your happiness is something I'd do everything in my power to avoid. Writing makes me happier than children or an extended family ever could. There's nothing wrong with that and I certainly don't have a problem writing can't cure.

I mean, imagine how insulting it would be if I said, "Anyone who wants a family is clearly a narcissist who only wishes to perpetuate their own DNA and has a problem with arrogance other people can't cure."

Would that be acceptable? No. Why, then, is it acceptable to say people who wouldn't be happy unless they wrote have something wrong with them?

OctoberLee
02-13-2010, 08:24 PM
YES @ scarletpeaches

But it really scares me that writing actually makes some people happy.

I've got a problem writing can't cure; it's called a job.

I'm not very happy at work. It's great pay, but high stress, and doesn't give me much job satisfaction. I got more job satisfaction out of cleaning toilets. However, the pay was not there, and my old job wouldn't pay to send me through college. It would be very easy to say "quit your job, go work 20 hours a week at a small local bookstore for minimum wage." Beautiful thought, but it ain't gonna put me through college either.

So.

When I come home from work, writing makes me very happy. It's low stress, and gives me the job satisfaction of a beautiful product that my own tangled mess of a job does not. I think if writing is the ONLY thing that makes you happy, then you might want to take up skydiving or knitting or something. But those of us who aren't socialites just don't feel the need or drive to have other people around all the time to make us happy.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family and friends. But half the time I'm more "happy" drywalling a closet than I am hanging out with friends at the mall. Working with your hands and writing are sheer apotheosis. So maybe all us people who think writing is vital to our happiness are just megalomaniacs who like playing god ;)

nitaworm
02-13-2010, 08:46 PM
I love writing. It's something I do often without motivation. When I'm not writing I feel - well, empty, bored. Also writing allows me to be who I want to be at a whim. I can be a boy, a kick butt blind girl, a villian - anything. I feel like supergirl when I write.

jilly61
02-13-2010, 10:58 PM
The writing makes me happy. The submitting to publishers less so. I needs me an agent!

Xelebes
02-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Writing is fun when it's fun. In those instances, it makes me happy.

Cranky
02-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Writing, knitting, drawing, baking. All of these things make me happy in varying ways, and the thing that they all have in common is that at the end of the process, I've created something.

I enjoy the process more at some times than at others, but just the act of creating something makes me pretty darned happy.

mccardey
02-14-2010, 03:02 AM
Writing makes me happy. The submitting thing, not so much....

Jstwatchin
02-14-2010, 03:11 AM
NOT writing makes me NOT happy.

Jake.C
02-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Writing is a horrific experience.

But God is it satisfying to look at that Manuscript and know that that rubbish, is your rubbish.

So yeah, a little bit happy.

dgaughran
02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Writing makes me unhappy when I have been staring at a blank page for hours, when I fall into a plot-hole for several weeks or when I got my first rejection from an agent reading a partial.

Writing makes me happy when I have a whole new chapter written at the end of the day. Days like that make me want to jump around and scream and shout. Most of the time I do. Makes all the other days worth it.

Getting a request for a full makes me happy and uneasy at the same time; now there is farther to fall.

M.Austin
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
One of the few things in life that I'm still head-over-heels passionate about. :)

wrangler
04-13-2010, 09:06 AM
So, does writing make you happy or is that not important to you? Is it just a business, a way of getting paid? Yes, and there isn't anything else I'd rather do. For a long time I was more than willing to collect peanuts and egg-shells for my works, however, after reading a recent interview with James Patterson changed my mind. Now I am not only focused on the writing aspect but the business side as well, all with the intention of making money...and then retiring quietly.

DrZoidberg
04-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes, and there isn't anything else I'd rather do. For a long time I was more than willing to collect peanuts and egg-shells for my works, however, after reading a recent interview with James Patterson changed my mind. Now I am not only focused on the writing aspect but the business side as well, all with the intention of making money...and then retiring quietly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Here's a good interview with Harlan Ellison about why not undersell yourself. Because if you do, you screw all the other writers over.

wrangler
04-14-2010, 04:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Here's a good interview with Harlan Ellison about why not undersell yourself. Because if you do, you screw all the other writers over.

I'll do that as soon as I get a chance, Dr. Zoidberg.

Celia Cyanide
04-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Writing does not make me happy at all.

shaldna
04-14-2010, 06:38 PM

That's a very good point, not just about writing, but about life.

I knew one person who went to the same college as I did, she did the same course, but in a different year. When we met and chatted she went to great lengths to tell me how 'useless' the course was, and how 'pointless' it had been.

I stopped her and told her straight that every time she told someone that she was not just devaluing herself, but every single other person who had done that course as well.

She looked at me like I was crazy.

Some people just don't get it.

lucidzfl
04-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Writing makes me happy.

larocca
04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
If it doesn't make me happy, I don't write it. Hence the 10- and 20-year breaks from the writing business.

(Why yes, I am old.)

Sevilla
04-14-2010, 07:00 PM
No, writing doesn't make me happy. I don't really enjoy the process. *Gasp* I know, I know, why, then, am I doing it? Because my story will haunt me and nag at me and drive me to the brink of insanity if I don't write it. I have to placate my ghosts.

milly
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
happy, yes...more frustrated than happy, definitely

thehairymob
04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
I find there is a growing frustration with life when I have no release. Writing is on of those safety valves, I feel that we need in life. Like when a gardener digs his garden, another hobby of mine, and plants the veg. He doesn't appreciate it fully till he picks the veg and has them for dinner. I self publish my books for the same reason, I know vain right, but I don't feel I would finish one if I thought it would just lie in some drawer or slush pile somewhere. While writing like digging the garden is the first step to filling a hole within; the garden may fill the belly yet it will be the writing that plugs the creative void within. I sound like a nut, I know but that is the writer part of me. :)

bglashbrooks
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I write first to entertain myself with a good story. Anyone else (including those who'll pay to read my work) who are entertained by my story are just icing on the cake.

I do see writing as my business too. It's what I do. I am not a part-time or hobbiest. I write full time, sometimes 60 or more hours a week and hold a part-time job in a hotel (for making the car payment). But do I say I work in the hotel industry--no. I am a writer/novelist. THAT is my job title.

Writing is my paycheck. Why would I work at something that doesn't make me happy when my part-time job pays my bills?

I wouldn't.