considering getting a masters...

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I suddenly have the opportunity to go back to school. I already have a BFA, and was considering maybe getting a degree in creative writing, I've also thought about botany, business, and a list of other things I could study but I keep coming back to creative writing.

Is it worth my time or should I look at something else? I don't have to go to school but I keep worrying about wasting this chance.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Since I got my masters, I've been able to spend a lot more time in Starbucks...

Seriously, it can't hurt. If you can do it without surrendering the status quo (standard of living and retirement planning-wise), there's really not much of a reason to not do it. And if you would have to cut some corners to do it, it's still probably a good idea.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
If time's your only issue, and you're sure you have time, I think you should go for it. :)

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I suddenly have the opportunity to go back to school. I already have a BFA, and was considering maybe getting a degree in creative writing, I've also thought about botany, business, and a list of other things I could study but I keep coming back to creative writing.

Is it worth my time or should I look at something else? I don't have to go to school but I keep worrying about wasting this chance.

Seeking more education is never a bad thing. Whether it always pays financial dividends.... :Shrug:...but it can't hurt. Pour the contents of your pocketbook into your head :) can't go wrong with that...and better yet, the bankers can't screw it up or take it away.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, go for it. I did a masters in my spare time and it made me irresistible to women. You have to be willing to put the work in but as long as that's not a problem for you, you'll be fine. Just make sure it's in something that interests you.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I love school and knowledge, classrooms and chalk, and the challenge of learning something new. If I had the opportunity to return to school with no financial repercussions, you bet your bippy I'd go back.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Ten years from now, would you look back and say, "Dang, I wished I hadn't gotten my masters," or "Hmm, I wonder what would have happened."

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Do it!

And if anyone has any spare money they can give me, I'd like to do my doctorate... :tongue

Seriously, Snowstorm's right. If money isn't an issue, and you have the time, go for it, because you'll regret it if you don't, for sure.

If it were me, I'd go for something other than creative writing, though, simply because how to write is something you can learn independently, but what to write about...

That's what all those other courses will give you.

But that's just my opinion.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm eventually going to get my rabbinical ordination for no reason other than it will teach me some new stuff. I think more education is always a good thing if it doesn't take significant time away from family, work, etc., so I don't see why an MFA would hurt. Go for it!

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I say go for it... nothing to lose and you don't want to have any regrets. :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Do it! Further education is never wasted, plus you're likely to meet more people with common interests.

I'd love to go back and do my masters now that I've got a few more years behind me.

Deleted member 42

If you've got the time and money, I'd say go for it. I'd also suggest something other than creative writing. If you do go for an M.F.A. check out the faculty. Attend some classes (always do this for any grad program).

Many grad schools let you design a custom degree; if you do not need the degree for job related skills, I'd think about what you're interested in and what you're good at and what you want to learn and work on a custom degree.

You can get degrees that are things like M.S. in science writing, for instance.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Do it. Let the rest of the world benefit from your intellect and wisdom. That MFA will give you more credibility to pass all the great things about you to a wider sphere of people and open doors that might not have cracked open for a BFA.

michellek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.associatedcontent.com
just my 2 cents

Make sure you have the ability to pay in cash. You probably don't want to take out a student loan for a creative writing course here and there. You might even want to try some seminars that absolutewrite offers. Renegade Writer offers courses for us too.