PDA

View Full Version : More Spanish help

abctriplets
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I've had to add a chapter to my WIP, and so my spanish-speaking characters got a bit more page time. Any Spanish-speakers lend me a hand again?

1) I've got a ship captain (while analyzing the screen of the ship's radar) asking something to the effect of "Check the screen again," or "Double check the calibration," or any other similar phrase.

2) "It's just out of range, but it's (a ship) still there, sir!"

3) And I've got a 12-yr old who doesn't know much Spanish, greeting a worker in the morning - is "¡Hola!" good enough?

Thanks!!

Chumplet
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I think hola is fine, but for the other sentences you might want to check Babelfish, a website that specializes in translation. My Spanish is 30 years old and very fuzzy.

abctriplets
02-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks, I tried Babelfish for the other chapters, and had it politely pointed out to me that the Spanish wasn't quite right :)

Chumplet
02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Don't you wish those polite people would give you the right sentence! :)

abctriplets
02-02-2010, 05:40 AM
1) I've got a ship captain (while analyzing the screen of the ship's radar) asking something to the effect of "Check the screen again," or "Double check the calibration," or any other similar phrase.

2) "It's just out of range, but it's (a ship) still there, sir!"

3) And I've got a 12-yr old who doesn't know much Spanish, greeting a worker in the morning - is "¡Hola!" good enough?

Giving babelfish a try, I get:

1) "Compruebe la pantalla otra vez," or "Compruebe la calibración con minuciosidad"
2) ¡Está apenas fuera de gama, pero todavía está allí, sir!

Again, though, I have no way of knowing if babelfish's direct translation works :(

maxmordon
02-02-2010, 06:13 AM
1) "Check the screen again": "Revisa la pantalla otra vez" and for the other one"Chequea de nuevo la calibración".

2) "Está fuera del radio, ¡Pero está allí, señor!

3) I think a "Buenos Días" would be better, but that's me.

maxmordon
02-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Babelfish works as well as English As She Spoke.

abctriplets
02-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Ah thanks so much max, not just for the translation, but also for the joy of learning about "English As She Spoke" for the first time :)

maxmordon
02-02-2010, 07:00 AM
That's why I am here. :)

sciri
02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
1)
3) I think a "Buenos Días" would be better, but that's me.

I agree, in your context I would use "Buenos Dias" rather than Hola.