More Spanish help

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
I've had to add a chapter to my WIP, and so my spanish-speaking characters got a bit more page time. Any Spanish-speakers lend me a hand again?

1) I've got a ship captain (while analyzing the screen of the ship's radar) asking something to the effect of "Check the screen again," or "Double check the calibration," or any other similar phrase.

2) "It's just out of range, but it's (a ship) still there, sir!"

3) And I've got a 12-yr old who doesn't know much Spanish, greeting a worker in the morning - is "¡Hola!" good enough?

Thanks!!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I think hola is fine, but for the other sentences you might want to check Babelfish, a website that specializes in translation. My Spanish is 30 years old and very fuzzy.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
1) I've got a ship captain (while analyzing the screen of the ship's radar) asking something to the effect of "Check the screen again," or "Double check the calibration," or any other similar phrase.

2) "It's just out of range, but it's (a ship) still there, sir!"

3) And I've got a 12-yr old who doesn't know much Spanish, greeting a worker in the morning - is "¡Hola!" good enough?

Giving babelfish a try, I get:

1) "Compruebe la pantalla otra vez," or "Compruebe la calibración con minuciosidad"
2) ¡Está apenas fuera de gama, pero todavía está allí, sir!

Again, though, I have no way of knowing if babelfish's direct translation works :(

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
1) "Check the screen again": "Revisa la pantalla otra vez" and for the other one"Chequea de nuevo la calibración".

2) "Está fuera del radio, ¡Pero está allí, señor!

3) I think a "Buenos Días" would be better, but that's me.