M/T/S Challenge, Feb. edition

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, folks, gear up your pens and laptops again. Here we go...

Rules are the same as last month. Everyone welcome, even if you didn't participate last month.

I'm in. Are you?

ETA: By the way, the important difference between the Challenge thread and the 500 words/day thread is that this one is competitive. We're expecting to write as much as we can as fast as we can, and can claim bragging rights. The 500/day is more of a support system. Definitely gentler and kinder. Feel free to post in both, just be aware of the difference.

Last edited:

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, folks, gear up your pens and laptops again. Here we go...

Rules are the same as last month. Everyone welcome, even if you didn't participate last month.

I'm in. Are you?

AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!! No, no, no! (Please:))
Here are the rules, as posted, for last month.

The Rules:

1. Must write every day.
2. Word Count is key. No minimum. (example: if you only get 20 words for the day, it still counts.)
3. The person with the highest WC in a day gets bragging rights for that day.
4. All participants are on the 'Honor" system. (Sorry, I know everyone here is as honest as the day is long, but it had to be added as a rule.)
5. All participants must have a counter or post their total WC somewhere in their signature.
6. Contest will end at midnight 31 January. (This will be set according to the AW time zone.)

I think that they are all just fine except for Number 1: Must write every day.

Blah! I can't do that. Writing is my job and I sure don't write every day -- at least one day a week I devote to research, for example. Another day to tactical outlining and revision. Could this one be worded differently... like MUST WRITE AT LEAST 4 DAYS PER WEEK or something?

I would love to join your group but, heck, if I can't even meet the number one requirement, that's pretty pitiful... sigh.

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Melville, you're right. I am officially doing away with the "Must write every day" rule. It's an overall race to the end. I don't write every day either. If I did most of it would be gibberish. :)

So the official rules are: Write as much as you can in Feb. Keep a counter. We're on the honor system, of course. And, um, be nice. Yeah. Aside from the spankings, be nice. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, give it a try! You can always pull out later if you want. Did you follow any of last month's? Todd pulled out and ended up beating the pants off all of us. :)

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Giving a shot. I only have something like 10-15k to do and my book is finished, so whatever. :D

Melville

Registered
Reaction score
Melville, you're right. I am officially doing away with the "Must write every day" rule. It's an overall race to the end. I don't write every day either. If I did most of it would be gibberish. :)

Thanks so much, heyjude! I'm in!

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Okay with me to change rule #1. Heck, I made them up and didn't write every day last month. :eek:

No words today either, so far. I'm stuck on a hospital scene. My MC is visiting her partner in the ICU and she HATES hospitals!

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Finally got through the hospital scene. *phew* And I guess I'll have the honor of being the first to post a word count. Only 185, but it's a start. :D

NOTE: Of course #6 is changed to midnight 28 Feb. (AW time zone) Only 27 days to go!

Last edited:

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, though I don't think I'll get to anything today.

Good thing rule #1 was jacked.

We'll see. Maybe I'll be back later, after I figure out whether or not I want a siggy or not. :tongue

Melville

Registered
Reaction score
Whew! I finished my daily output... my self-imposed requirement is that I write at least 1375 new words on a "Writing Day" or I'm not allowed to get up from the chair:). (I'm not kidding either!)

I have 14 more writing days scheduled for this month so I hope to have 28,000-30,000 more words added to my new novel, passing the two-third mark.

Good luck to everyone! I'm a happy tortoise who respects the speed of hares.

WIP (2nd Book In Series Set In Las Vegas)

Fantabulous February M/T/S Challange - 1650

Last edited:

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Whew! I finished my daily output... my self-imposed requirement is that I write at least 1375 new words on a "Writing Day" or I'm not allowed to get up from the chair:). (I'm not kidding either!)

About me, your new member:

I write "finished words" in that I edit/revise as I go so once I write THE END, all it needs is a thorough proof-reading. I don't do drafts; I don't let things sit after I finish. When I'm done, I'm done. And there's always a new project waiting, which I'm eager to get into. I also don't use "beta readers"; in fact, after me, the only person to read what I write is my bright-as-a-penny new agent.

During my grad school days, and for notable periods afterward, I worked as a book editor for a couple of the major publishers and those skills are still alive on my "Revision Days". On those days, my creative self is dormant, thank goodness.

(Actually, I come from television writing where you write fast, hand it over, and it's filmed the next morning so revisions are not possible... and before that I came out of academia where we actually wrote final exams by hand in blue books -- no revision there either -- so I think that for me this process -- write and run -- is natural.)

I know everyone has their own technique -- whatever works for them -- but I just thought I'd lay mine out there as it works for me.

I tend to average between 1500-3000 for a day's work though I once had to write 5500 words in one day as the book (a children's book) was going to print the next morning. Blah: that's too many words. I still remember that headache.

I have 14 more writing days scheduled for this month so I hope to have 28,000-30,000 more words added to my new novel, passing the two-third mark.

The publisher wants it by April 1, so that should work!

Hopefully that's not TMI:)

Good luck to everyone! I'm a happy tortoise who respects the speed of hares.

WIP (2nd Book In Series Set In Las Vegas)

Fantabulous February M/T/S Challange - 1650

:welcome:

:flag:I can already tell you're going to whoop my butt. I'm doing good to get out 1K a day, if that.

Melville

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

:flag:I can already tell you're going to whoop my butt. I'm doing good to get out 1K a day, if that.

Thanks for the welcome! To be clear: I'm not here for the competition, but for the camaraderie! Any words taken out of the ether and installed on a page in some unique phrasing are to be applauded.

I happen to believe 100 words can be more extraordinary than 1000, depending on how you use them!

I will, however, gladly giving a standing ovation to the winner:)

Congrats on your day's total!

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Looks like I'm off to a crappy start. In addition to what I posted earlier, I only managed a whopping 243 more, for a not-so-grand total of 428 for the day. *bleah*

Have a bit of a dilemma. Kelli was in her kitchen making tea, reached into the cupboard for a cup and found a bottle of Irish Whiskey, an old bottle, left over from when her dad was alive. Now she is contemplating taking "just one drink", which is impossible for an alcoholic. I don't know if I should let her, or have her call her sponsor.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Have a bit of a dilemma. Kelli was in her kitchen making tea, reached into the cupboard for a cup and found a bottle of Irish Whiskey, an old bottle, left over from when her dad was alive. Now she is contemplating taking "just one drink", which is impossible for an alcoholic. I don't know if I should let her, or have her call her sponsor.

Blah! That's an EASY choice. To coin a phrase, she needs to simply remember "WWMD"... "What Would Marlowe Do?"

Um, drink of course!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

So the official rules are: Write as much as you can in Feb. Keep a counter. We're on the honor system, of course. And, um, be nice. Yeah. Aside from the spankings, be nice. :)

We all broke that rule last time anyway. ;)

Woohoo, we've got some newbies! :D Prepare to have your asses kicked!*

Kaitie also requests that everyone list their current amounts in their siggy so she can keep track easily. :)

*probably by Todd again.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Blah! That's an EASY choice. To coin a phrase, she needs to simply remember "WWMD"... "What Would Marlowe Do?"

Um, drink of course!

I'm with Todd on this one. :tongue

Anyone else hopping into the game? Everyone's welcome. :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Congrats Todd!

OK I'm in again. I found all this very helpful even though I LOST last month. :cry: So I just can't let that record stand! Now that our magazine is done I can actually get back to fiction and my WIP!! I shall adjust my siggy.

Edit: Adding my 281 words.

Last edited:

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
Creeping back in again...

231 done. Will see if I get anything else done before I need to deal with the laundry and go to bed.

Love and coffee,
Frances
===
M/T/S Challenge, February: 231

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, lots of players this time! This ought to be fun. :D