PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever gone rusty in the ideas dept? I have, and need help.

The Backward OX
02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I know all the tricks about how to generate ideas for stories. But they’re not working any longer. My mind seems to have gone to sleep.

Consequently, I’d be interested in hearing from others who’ve faced the same problem, and beaten it, about the way they beat it.

Note: I'm not looking for ways to generate ideas. I know how to do that. That's not what I'm asking. Thank you.

Bufty
02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Then what on earth are you asking?

I know all the tricks about how to generate ideas for stories. But they’re not working any longer. My mind seems to have gone to sleep.

Consequently, I’d be interested in hearing from others who’ve faced the same problem, and beaten it, about the way they beat it.

Note: I'm not looking for ways to generate ideas. I know how to do that. That's not what I'm asking. Thank you.

Jamesaritchie
02-01-2010, 06:01 PM
So what are you asking?

Bufty
02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Who dat down there asking who I'm asking up here when I'm up here asking who's asking what up there?

I'm asking him what he's asking while you're asking me what I'm asking.

All I know is he says he needs help. :evil Hmmmmm. No answer to that.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP......:e2s eesaw:

So what are you asking?

RG570
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
But they’re not working any longer. My mind seems to have gone to sleep.

Amphetamines.

Jamesaritchie
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Who dat down there asking who I'm asking up here when I'm up here asking who's asking what up there?

I'm asking him what he's asking while you're asking me what I'm asking.

All I know is he says he needs help. :evil Hmmmmm. No answer to that.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP......:e2s eesaw:

Now it's going to take me the rest of the day to make my mind work right.

Bufty
02-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Maybe Bawlin has some tips for you. :snoopy: Just kidding, Bawlin - :Hug2:

Now it's going to take me the rest of the day to make my mind work right.

Shadow_Ferret
02-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Are you saying you have "writer's block" and would like ideas on how to over come it?

NeuroFizz
02-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Huffing WD-40 might address the cerebral rust issue.

HighDesertBrat
02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Huffing WD-40 might address the cerebral rust issue.

All the other issues that huffing WD-40 would cause might be an even bigger problem that cerebral rust.

Mr Flibble
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
But it's only the cerebral rust that keeps my hair such a great shade of red!

So Bawlin, do you want new ways to generate ideas, or advice on how to make the old one work?

Personally I can't write quick enough to keep up, but consider this: The more you write the more ideas tend to come.

So write. About something, anything, and let yourself wander into a fug of 'I wonder....' Don't make me get out the Doctrow story again ( he was blocked and started writing about his wall. He ended up with Ragtime)

Claudia Gray
02-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I find that I go long periods of ideas with no ideas, then hit phases where I suddenly have far more ideas than I could possibly write. So I just take a LOT of notes during the idea-crazy periods, and go back to them in periods when I'm not generating ideas.

Right now, it will be at least 18 months before I can work on anything new, and I have had about three solid novel ideas in the past week. Taking notes like mad.

erinbee
02-02-2010, 12:04 AM
I do what Claudia does. I have a master "idea" document where I dump any and all ideas. Then, when I'm feeling uninspired, I open it up and scratch my head a bit. The ideas inevitably start flowing again.

Dawnny Baby
02-02-2010, 12:13 AM
I had a block on my current WIP: I knew what was going to happen, how the story would end, but for the life of me I couldn't make it go forward. Then, I had the opportunity to ask a multi-pubbed author whether he'd ever encountered this situation. He said he had, when he was trying to make the story go in a direction it wasn't supposed to go. But when he gave up trying to force the issue and instead listened to what the story was trying to tell him, it basically finished writing itself.

I combined that advice with what IdiotsRUs said above, and have just disciplined myself to keep writing. Slowly, but surely, it's working.

Matera the Mad
02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Read.

The Backward OX
02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Then what on earth are you asking?
Third and fourth sentences of the OP.

In the interim I may have figured out for myself that it's lack of blood circulating through my brain. When I say 'may have' I mean I might be wrong.

Polenth
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Are you asking if anyone's had a physical reason why they can't come up with ideas? If so, the answer is yes. It used to happen to me on a daily basis as a child. The problem was I'd suffer from a sugar crash between meals, because they were too far apart.

I started having snacks between meals and increased my water consumption (which aids concentration). It solved it pretty much instantly.

Chances are, if you're suffering physically, it's something basic going wrong. Things to check are food, water, vitamins/minerals and sleep. Lack of any of those can make the brain sluggish.

Rowan
02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I do something they made us do at academy... pick a random topic (like: why vampires make good lovers, Harry Potter should be President, dogs are better running companions than cats, etc.) and then just start typing--or as we had to--speaking on that topic for at least a page or 5 minutes. That usually breaks me out of a rut! Yeah, I know it's beyond weird.... for me that's the point I think. :) For me it's like oiling a rusty hinge.

[or just look around you for ideas...I know I find a ton of inspiration at work but then I work w/a bunch of characters)