Thread about dogs in Office Party

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
The Office Party forum has an interesting thread about a bridge in Scotland where dogs jump off. Look for "Paranormal..." I suspect the dogs jump because something there creates a painful sound that people can't hear, either high frequency or low frequency. Isn't there a device advertised to emit a sound that keeps animals away from one's property? Or am I misremembering ads about devices that use electricity as a repellent?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think there are a lot of possible reasons including misleading visual clues. There are various cliffs around the UK that dogs tend to go off.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The majority of these ultrasound devices are aimed at rodent vermin and have been conclusively shown to not work. Here they are suggesting infrasound--but why not just test for it--any radio cassette with 10x playback can test for infrasound.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Also, in the case of cats, you know they'd fight their way to the speaker and take a long leak all over it, just to be contrary. My old neighbour had one, and you could hear the cats sniggering whenever they bunked down on his shed roof for the day.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I wondered if maybe the wind blowing over and through crevices or holes in the bridge/surrounding area might be causing high-frequency sounds that adversely affected the dogs. Dunno.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Some of the "anti-bark" devices use ultra high frequency as a behaviour modification tool. If the dog barks then the device emits the sound. The idea is that the sound is unpleasant for the animal and they eventually (not in my dogs' cases) learn that barking makes the bad/painful sound happen.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, I'm very grateful to be here. How many birds share your life?

There is "method to the madness". I am the proud adopter of three Ibizan Hounds (Wisdom, Mercy, and Joy). Regarding their names: "Hey, if you are going to call for something, it should be good. Come, Wisdom".

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Wow, what great names for your dogs!

I have two beautiful birds--one 19 year-old Blue-crowned conure named Rio and one twenty-something-year-old Orange-winged Amazon parrot named Pancho (he's the one pictured below my name). Thanks for asking. :)

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There's a really great parrot/bird sanctuary here on Vancouver Island. They adopt animals that need special care because of emotional or physical issues.

AND, I live across the road from a bird & wilderness preserve. I walked to the back of my property on Wed. and saw an owl (he/she watched me for about 3 minutes before taking flight). Right now, the Flickers and the Finches are here in force. In the winter, the Canada Geese and the Trumpter Swans will be here in large numbers. I've seen 100+ of each in a day.

Last edited:

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
WOW! I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven if I got to see all those awesome birds! Birdwatching is one of my favorite hobbies--now I know I must get myself to our local wildlife refuge and take along the binoculars and camera. :)

Thanks for the post!

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Some dogs fib....

Grin for the day....

When my 3 Ibizan hounds get at the back of our property (2/3rds of an acre) and start barking (at whatever) I start by telling them "quiet". If the barking doesn't stop, I give them the command "in the house". Then, if the barking doesn't stop, I have to put on my shoes and walk to the back of the property with the water hose. The hose is required because they run 45 mph and there is no way that I'll be able to catch them.

When I go outside to "motivate them to come in the house", the 3 year old, Joy has always met me BUT she stops to pick up a toy on her way. The look on her face says, "I'm not being bad, Mom, honest. I was on my way but I just needed to get my toy first."

Last week, the 9 year old, Mercy, started with the exact same behaviour, she also had the same look on her face, "I'm not being bad, I just needed to get my toy before I came in the house."

Evidentally, Joy has taught Mercy how to fib....

"Every time I think I have seen every Ibizan Hound behaviour in my 14 years of sharing my house with hounds they come up with something new."