I don't think this is form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
I recieved this from a pub who had my full ms. This doesn't actually sound standard form, it sounds like he actually took the time to read it....or atleast some of it. (Enough to call it a good read hehe)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Chris:

First let me say that when a publisher passes on the chance to publish your work, it shouldn't be assumed that something was lacking. All publishers pick and choose their manuscripts according to what they've already published. It happens that ******* is a scholarly publisher, and most books that we publish are aimed at the research community--either old topics re-addressed in the wake of new information or new topics that fill a hole in the literature. Almost all are heavily researched and include full scholarly apparatus.

Memoirs are something we've never done, and while we're open to the possibility of taking one on, it would have to be something of strong interest to baseball historians.

Your manuscript wants a trade publisher who will get it into the major chain stores and price it low enough to tempt people looking either to indulge nostalgia for their rec-league days or who want, simply, a good read.

Keep sending the manuscript out. Sooner or later, someone will bite.

Good luck to you.​

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, don't go getting all morose and sulky. You know as well as I do that some rejections are better than others. If you don't, you should.

• This rejection was a non-form. Meaning they took the time to make a personal response.
  • They said favorable things about your work.
  • They offered you advice on where they thought you should concentrate your submissions in order to increase your chances of publication.
That's a rejection that warrants a 'congratulations' if I ever saw one.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Birol said:
Oh, don't go getting all morose and sulky. You know as well as I do that some rejections are better than others. If you don't, you should.
  • This rejection was a non-form. Meaning they took the time to make a personal response.
  • They said favorable things about your work.
  • They offered you advice on where they thought you should concentrate your submissions in order to increase your chances of publication.
That's a rejection that warrants a 'congratulations' if I ever saw one.

Yeah...you are right! Thanks!

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I agree - that's as good as a rejection can get, albeit it is a rejection. I have some like that, myself. It's encouraging and depressing at the same time.

My book is also a memoir - and I have run into the same comments. Apparently, not so long ago .....memoirs were the thing - and they aren't now. I myself only read non-fiction - memoirs are my choice of material.

Maybe if you find like books and send to their publisher?

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
I agree - that's as good as a rejection can get, albeit it is a rejection. I have some like that, myself. It's encouraging and depressing at the same time.

My book is also a memoir - and I have run into the same comments. Apparently, not so long ago .....memoirs were the thing - and they aren't now. I myself only read non-fiction - memoirs are my choice of material.

Maybe if you find like books and send to their publisher?

Yeah, that's the funny thing, I never considered this a memior, I considered it sports non-fiction, but I keep getting saddled with memior. I suppose it is, but that label in itself is hurting me I believe.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I agree. And, I keep having people suggest I change my book to fiction. But, it's NOT fiction.

I prefer the title "slice of life."

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
OneTeamOneDream said:
Yeah, that's the funny thing, I never considered this a memior, I considered it sports non-fiction, but I keep getting saddled with memior. I suppose it is, but that label in itself is hurting me I believe.

But it IS a memoir, OneTeamOneDream, not merely a label they're affixing to it. Here's how you described it in your query:

It is a fact based account of the 1997 William Byrd High School Virginia state championship baseball team, and the achievements, setbacks, downfalls, and ultimately victory.

A non-fiction would be the HISTORY of the various teams of William Byrd, comparing and contrasting the coaches, the athletes, the sports program, etc. But you're telling ONE story -- that of the 1997 team. It's not a bad thing, but you might want to seriously consider changing the publishers you're querying. This might be a much better fit for a YA (young adult) sports line. This is something that could easily be the next movie like MIGHTY DUCKS or FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
But it IS a memoir, OneTeamOneDream, not merely a label they're affixing to it. Here's how you described it in your query:

A non-fiction would be the HISTORY of the various teams of William Byrd, comparing and contrasting the coaches, the athletes, the sports program, etc. But you're telling ONE story -- that of the 1997 team. It's not a bad thing, but you might want to seriously consider changing the publishers you're querying. This might be a much better fit for a YA (young adult) sports line. This is something that could easily be the next movie like MIGHTY DUCKS or FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.

Thanks for the advice Cathy, but I've got a question for you.

There are quite a few profanities in this story, would YA still look at it, or would I be asked to remove them?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
There are a couple of different levels of YA, so I would think since it was high school kids talking and using the profanity, it might fly. But the worst that could happen would be for them to ask you to limit the use. Heck, if it would sell an extra hundred thousand copies, would you really CARE? ;)

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me that if it was that clearly a memoir in the query letter and they don't do memoirs, why did they ask for the full ms? I agree that it is a great rejection and good advice but they certainly put him through a lot if it was an iffy situation from the start for them.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
J. Y. Moore said:
Seems to me that if it was that clearly a memoir in the query letter and they don't do memoirs, why did they ask for the full ms? I agree that it is a great rejection and good advice but they certainly put him through a lot if it was an iffy situation from the start for them.

The only reason I can think is one of the specialties is baseball, so they figured it was worth a shot. Then again, if that was the case and he liked it as much as he said he did, I'd have a publisher right about now. Who knows.....its a crazy business.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Is it written in the first person? That seems to me to be the definitive 'memoir' thing. You could try writing it as a bit of third-person non-fiction that reads like fiction, and keep the 'I' out of it.

Of course, if you were personally involved in these events, you're going to find that a difficult thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.