PDA

View Full Version : Doctorin' the Tardis

Maxinquaye
01-31-2010, 04:13 PM
I hadn't seen The Episode when the Tenth Doctor generates to the eleventh.

Now I have.

*wipes a little tear*

"I don't want to go!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSkbqnyL4w

ad_lucem
01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
I hadn't seen The Episode when the Tenth Doctor generates to the eleventh.

Now I have.

*wipes a little tear*

"I don't want to go!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSkbqnyL4w

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... :cry:

I'll miss Tennant! :(

Fran
01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Mmmmm, David... :e2cloud9:

I'm off in happyland. You lot carry on without me. :D

Ambrosia
01-31-2010, 04:51 PM
He may actually have won my heart as the best doctor now. It previously was held by Tom Baker. I don't know. It is a close call for me. But, he is a lot cuter. Of that there is no denying. :D

I watched an interview where David was explaining why he had decided to leave the show. He said that right now doing the show was exciting and fun. He didn't want to stay until it became just "work". I wish he would have rode the excitement and fun a little bit longer. I didn't want him to go either. He was absolutely brilliant. And, easy on the eyes. That can't be said of the actor replacing him.

No, he has stolen my heart. David is number one in my doctor gauge. Tom has moved down to number two. Sorry Tom.

KellyAssauer
01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
David is number one in my doctor gauge.

I think I might just buy the Tennet seasons and skip watching anything new. *sniff* What I liked most about David is that it just didn't matter what wardrobe he was in, he always looked like a boy in adult clothes!

-and I mean that in most adorable way! =)

Maxinquaye
01-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Tom Baker was a great doctor.

David Tennant was a great doctor... and cute.

Hmmm.

Am I deciding positions on my doctor scale on mere shallow criteria like that?

ETA:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cP0pJ4PhGIQ/SdbTxFGawvI/AAAAAAAABOM/kGVsnyazlXs/s400/David+Tennant1.jpg

ETA2:

Mmmmm, David... :e2cloud9:

I'm off in happyland. You lot carry on without me. :D

:D

sadron
01-31-2010, 09:07 PM
I have seen only one ep with him, "Rose" and it was nice. He's leaving? Nooo!

dolores haze
01-31-2010, 09:25 PM
The doctor seems to just keep getting younger and cuter. I still remember John Pertwee's Doctor Who. Yes, I am old.

Fran
01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
The doctor seems to just keep getting younger and cuter.

And the problem with that is...? ;)

The new one's too young for me. David's not as young as he looks - 35 or 36 I think.

ETA: All hail IMDB! He's 38.

semilargeintestine
01-31-2010, 09:47 PM
What the hell are you people on about?

firedrake
01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Tom Baker was a great doctor.

David Tennant was a great doctor... and cute.

Hmmm.

Am I deciding positions on my doctor scale on mere shallow criteria like that?

ETA:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cP0pJ4PhGIQ/SdbTxFGawvI/AAAAAAAABOM/kGVsnyazlXs/s400/David+Tennant1.jpg

ETA2:

:D

mmmmmmmmmmm eye-candy.

sadron
01-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah.. he's cute and all that candy.

Shakesbear
01-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Um... did anyone see his Hamlet? On stage, tv or dvd?

Ciera_
01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
David Tennant's 39 or 40 now, actually. Yeah, the thing with him is that he's cute, young, fit, but with old, wise eyes.
Sadron, I have to comment on your perplexing misunderstanding: "Rose" is the very first episode of the new series of Doctor Who, and it starred Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor. He was absolutely amazing as well, I hope we're not forgetting.

Here's the thing, guys. Remember the end of season one? You LOVED Eccleston, I bet (I did.) He was a god to me. (I'd not watched the original series, so my first taste of Doctor Who was with him.) And then he vanishes, replaced by this pretty new fellow!
Like Rose, we were a little wary. Right? RIGHT? Admit it. In those last twenty seconds of The Parting of the Ways, you hated the bastard who dared kick Eccleston out.
I think some people were thinking that they would never like the show again, never watch it again, The Doctor's not supposed to be so pretty, he doesn't know what he's doing . . .

Matt Smith will surprise us. Have faith.

(For the record, I do think Smith is rather easy on the eyes as well. He has quite the frightening chin (but when you're The Doctor, it's easy to overlook things like that and crush on him anyway, *cough*Eccleston'sCrazyEars*cough*), but nice eyes. He's so FRESH. The actual character, the Doctor that Tennant was playing, was tired and disillusioned and heartbroken and afraid and in the end, a wee bit selfish, even cowardly (when it came to the matter of his own death, which was understandable and added to the depth of the character)
Smith's Doctor is young and naive and untouched by all the crappy aspects of The Doctor's existence.
I think it's a beautiful thing.
They haven't cast a terrible Doctor yet, have they? (Not that I'd know, really)
Plus, Steven Moffat, you guys! Freaking STEVEN MOFFAT. The guy behind The empty Child, Blink, and The Girl in the Fireplace. Those are three of my favourites!

Okay. I'm rambling now. In summary, please don't stop watching, please give the poor lad a chance.

KellyAssauer
01-31-2010, 10:25 PM
David Tennant's 39 or 40 now, actually. Yeah, the thing with him is that he's cute, young, fit, but with old, wise eyes.

-yep

you hated the bastard who dared kick Eccleston out.

-nope

The Doctor's not supposed to be so pretty, he doesn't know what he's doing . . .

-that wide-eyed innocent look really worked for me.

the Doctor that Tennant was playing, was tired

-uh huh

and disillusioned

-uh huh

and heartbroken

-uh huh

and afraid and in the end,

-uh huh

a wee bit selfish,

-uh huh

even cowardly

-uh huh

I'm sorry, what were you saying again?

I kinda lost track there...

Maxinquaye
01-31-2010, 10:32 PM
They haven't cast a terrible Doctor yet, have they?

Apart from Colin Baker that you wanted to strangle on inception. :)

zahra
01-31-2010, 10:38 PM
I think the new boy will do just fine. (And I've met him in real life, ha, ha, die with envy, ye serfs!). I think they are very very careful in their casting. Anyone can make a mistake, I suppose, but I doubt they have this time.

Excited. Looking forward to it. Still preferred Chris E., but looking forward to Matt all the same.

Ciera_
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Assauer, I'm not really sure what I was saying. I spent a solid week mourning near the beginning of January, now it's time to move on.

Fran
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
The finance manager at my work knows David's dad and he won't set me up with David.

How mean is that?! ;)

Ciera_
01-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Fran - he will burn in the worst level of hell for this, so have compassion for him now.

Fran
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Fran - he will burn in the worst level of hell for this, so have compassion for him now.

I plan to just sulk and refuse to do his photocopying until he caves. :D

Ambrosia
02-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Assauer, I'm not really sure what I was saying. I spent a solid week mourning near the beginning of January, now it's time to move on.
For me, it is not a matter of moving on or not giving the new doctor a chance or not watching Dr Who because David has left. As long as they keep making Dr. Who I will keep watching Dr. Who. Absolutely love that show. For me, it is a matter of the genius that is David Tennant and what he brought to the role of Dr. Who. A brilliant Shakespearean actor and he played the Doctor. Hard act to follow. Very hard. I wouldn't want to be the new guy having to follow him. I enjoyed the actor previous to David Tennant. I thought his portrayal of the Dr. was excellent. Not quite as good as Tom Baker, but I liked him a lot. Then, David Tennant took over. And he wow'd me. I never expected to like any portrayal of the Doctor as much as Tom Baker's portrayal. The only thing David was missing was the scarf. :D

Priene
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Um... did anyone see his Hamlet? On stage, tv or dvd?

TV and DVD. Three times so far. The Tennant/Stewart Hamlet was the best programme I've seen in months.

Maxinquaye
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
For me, it is not a matter of moving on or not giving the new doctor a chance or not watching Dr Who because David has left. As long as they keep making Dr. Who I will keep watching Dr. Who.

As they said in the End of Time: "This song is ending. The story never ends." Let's hope so. :)

You hear complaints all the time about BBC, but this show is a testament to the value of it. What commercial network would have kept a series like this going for so long, through bad ratings and bad reviews, as well as through high ratings and praise. :)

Priene
02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
You hear complaints all the time about BBC, but this show is a testament to the value of it. What commercial network would have kept a series like this going for so long, through bad ratings and bad reviews, as well as through high ratings and praise. :)

They didn't. The BBC cancelled Doctor Who back in the eighties. Michael Grade thought it was utter shite and killed it. It was relaunched years later.

Fran
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
As they said in the End of Time: "This song is ending. The story never ends." Let's hope so. :)

Also, the one-off special with Paul McGann as the Doctor did well in America. Once the BBC realised they could make a fortune in the American market they were suddenly much keener to revive it.

By the way, can I moan about the price of the Doctor Who boxsets? Now, I love David as much as the next red-blooded straight woman and gay man, but 50 is just taking the piss. It'd be even worse if we paid a licence fee which allowed the BBC to make these programmes in the first place and then sell them back to us at exhorbitant prices.

Oh, hang on...

Priene
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
By the way, can I moan about the price of the Doctor Who boxsets?

You mean the ones that are being shown in very DVD-able format three times a week on BBC3? That 50 is a killer.

ad_lucem
02-01-2010, 08:47 PM
What I want to know is why the BBC hates Americans. I mean, they must, because they send us loads of crap like chef Ramsey, how clean is your house, you are what you eat, cash in the attic, top gear, etc..etc..... Don't they know we already have a ton of this crap on our TV already? (ETA: What's next...Real Housewives of Knightsbridge?)

Yes, they're kind enough to throw us a Dr. Who here and there. But, that hardly makes up for the sin of sending over Ramsey and the rest of it.

My favorite take on Chef Ramsey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_5ozDIao8g

Makes a good casserole. Doesn't he, though?

Priene
02-01-2010, 08:56 PM
What I want to know is why the BBC hates Americans.

It's nothing personal. Our telly is mainly gobshite.

ad_lucem
02-01-2010, 09:01 PM
It's nothing personal. Our telly is mainly gobshite.

Guess it's catching. Ours is, too. All the reality tv whores, sideshow freaks and bad writing/acting the market will bear. The bright spot in my tv time are Dr. Who and the Daily Show. And that's about it. Besides Malcolm in the Middle reruns when I catch them.

At least it's nothing personal. I was beginning to wonder.

Ambrosia
02-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I like Chef Ramsey and Top Gear. Entertaining guys. I love BBC America. The news is usually better than what we are getting here in the US, too.

Of course, the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are must sees on Comedy Central. Another way of getting to the truth of the news. :D

Fran
02-02-2010, 12:33 AM
What I want to know is why the BBC hates Americans. I mean, they must, because they send us loads of crap like chef Ramsey, how clean is your house, you are what you eat, cash in the attic, top gear, etc..etc..... Don't they know we already have a ton of this crap on our TV already? (ETA: What's next...Real Housewives of Knightsbridge?)

Gordon Ramsey and How Clean Is Your House? (which I don't watch because it makes me feel physically sick) are Channel 4 programmes over here. Just so you know Channel 4 hates you too. ;)

I cannot BELIEVE you get Cash In The Attic. Does anyone even watch that here? And all the bad punning and terrible presenters... yikes. Even the 'Celebrity Specials' are so Z-list the contestants' parents have to Google them. I'm sorry, ad_lucem. I truly am. :Hug2:

Art_Sempai
02-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Hmm...the bow tie is back.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2duzgj9.jpg

ad_lucem
02-02-2010, 02:50 AM
Gordon Ramsey and How Clean Is Your House? (which I don't watch because it makes me feel physically sick) are Channel 4 programmes over here. Just so you know Channel 4 hates you too. ;)

I cannot BELIEVE you get Cash In The Attic. Does anyone even watch that here? And all the bad punning and terrible presenters... yikes. Even the 'Celebrity Specials' are so Z-list the contestants' parents have to Google them. I'm sorry, ad_lucem. I truly am. :Hug2:

My main time for channel flipping is whenever I have to fold laundry (i.e. the pile is issuing death threats telepathically).

I often wonder about American programming as well as BBC... Who watches this @#$@#? People seriously watch this @#$#@? Who?

The science channel used to be a go-to, but even they have succumb to "fascinating" programs like the guy who spends his time letting us know just how nasty a nasty job can be "Wow, septic tank cleaning sure is dirty!" What a revelation. Or better yet, the knuckle-draggers they have out "hunting" ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties. There's nothing like watching a pack of former plumbers and a couple of bimbos run around bumping into things in the dark saying "ooh I think I felt something". Way to raise the bar, there, "Science" Channel.

Now, if Dr. Who was on during the day during the designated "laundry time"... I can't imagine the way my home would be transformed.

It's a conspiracy against mothers all over; I tell you. They're engaging in psychological warfare, these BBC 4 people and the other networks. They're trying to slowly make us all go mad with painfully insipid programming.

ad_lucem
02-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Hmm...the bow tie is back.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2duzgj9.jpg

Okay, I'm not sure I can watch a Dr. Who featuring some dude who looks like a rhetro Tucker Carlson.

http://edition.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/images/carlson.tucker.jpg

Much as I love Dr. Who... this is going to be a stretch. I hope this guy can act so I can suspend my disbelief here.

Fran
02-02-2010, 03:00 AM
It's a conspiracy against mothers all over; I tell you. They're engaging in psychological warfare, these BBC 4 people and the other networks. They're trying to slowly make us all go mad with painfully insipid programming.

I have wondered about that. People who watch daytime TV are generally mothers, the retired, or the unemployed. (Although when I'm unemployed again at the end of the month I won't be watching it.) So, is the general consensus among programmers: Having a baby, retiring, or not working makes you braindead? Or is the assumption that these groups of people are braindead to start with? Do I, as a woman, want to watch programmes about celebrity gossip, how to lose a stone (12 pounds) in an hour and a half or smug rich people buying massively over-priced houses in the countryside? No! Give me YouTube, Discovery (our science channels are still about science thankfully) or NatGeo any day.

ad_lucem
02-02-2010, 03:32 AM
I have wondered about that. People who watch daytime TV are generally mothers, the retired, or the unemployed. (Although when I'm unemployed again at the end of the month I won't be watching it.) So, is the general consensus among programmers: Having a baby, retiring, or not working makes you braindead? Or is the assumption that these groups of people are braindead to start with? Do I, as a woman, want to watch programmes about celebrity gossip, how to lose a stone (12 pounds) in an hour and a half or smug rich people buying massively over-priced houses in the countryside? No! Give me YouTube, Discovery (our science channels are still about science thankfully) or NatGeo any day.

Psychological warfare. I mean it.

There's a message to all of this and it reads: You're fat, your house is dirty (cheap, too), you can't cook, even the people on Big Brother are less banal than you, and you have no interests outside of complete twaddle/drivel/etc.

Warfare via digital signal...it's like the drone bomber of the unconscious mind. Our ids under fire by the likes of network executives. :D

Fran
02-02-2010, 04:04 AM
It's a shame you can't get the BBC iPlayer over there. It has really good programmes on it, like, um... I can't think of any offhand. But I'm sure it has some. :D

One of the things the BBC absolutely kicks ass at is nature programmes - if you ever get the opportunity to watch any David Attenborough programmes I highly recommend them. :)

Art_Sempai
02-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Isn't David Attenborough's brother the old guy from Jurassic Park?

Fran
02-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Isn't David Attenborough's brother the old guy from Jurassic Park?

Yes - Richard. :)