With all the money everyone gave/is giving to Haiti...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
... surely this did not have to happen:

South Florida hospitals deny they refused care to Haitians

The U.S. military stopped flying critically injured Haitians to Florida, saying it's not clear who'll pay for their care.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/breaking-news/story/1454479.html

South Florida hospital spokespeople strongly denied Saturday that their facilities are refusing to take more trauma patients from Haiti, leaving them to die at field hospitals in the earthquake-ravaged country.
Military planes stopped flying the injured to Florida on Wednesday, after Gov. Charlie Crist wrote to Kathleen Sebelius, secretary of Health and Human Services, asking the federal government for help covering millions of dollars in care that hospitals around the state are providing, the New York Times reported in Saturday's editions.
Crist pointed out that Florida hospitals were ``at capacity.''
Friday, Maj. James Lowe, deputy chief of public affairs for the United States Transportation Command, told the Times that ``the places they were being taken, without being specific, were not willing to continue to receive those patients without a different arrangement being worked out by the government to pay for the care.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/5min/story/1455520.html
Crist estimated that, by Saturday, the state had spent about $10 million assisting 6,630 people of the 18,363 who have arrived from Haiti on nearly 800 flights since the earthquake. About 526 patients have been hospitalized in Florida -- many in Miami-Dade -- with 174 still receiving care.
With the numbers growing, Crist on Wednesday wrote to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, asking her to activate the National Disaster Medical System to help the state cope with the situation. Sebelius has yet to issue the declaration.

Both agencies said the decision to suspend flights was made by the military.
Navy Capt. Kevin Aandahl, a spokesman for U.S. Transportation Command in Illinois, said the military could resume the flights at any time but said the flights were stopped because states -- including Florida -- were resisting attempts to bring Haitian patients in.
``It comes down to this: U.S. Transportation Command cannot do an air evacuation medical mission without an accepting medical hospital on the other end,'' Anndahl said. ``And some states are unwilling to approve patients' entry for . . . medical care, as I understand it, because of some issues regarding reimbursement. Bringing them to the continental United States is half the issue. We've been dealing with individual states saying basically, `Don't bring them here.' ''
Officials with Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami Children's Hospital and the president of the Florida Hospital Association, Bruce Rueben, said no hospital in Florida has refused to help.
And Crist said Aandahl ``appears to have gotten it wrong. That's unfortunate. . . . We'll have to talk to the good captain. This just isn't true.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/30/us/30airlift.html?hp
[older]

I don't know how much of a clusterf%*k they find acceptable in day-to-day running of things, but this is unacceptable when so many are giving up so much to help Haiti.

Yes, I hate bureaucrats. I hate hospital admission policies, too; for many reasons I'm kinda thinking they aren't being entirely truthful here.

But there it is, anyway. WTF??? I want an invesigation. This sort of thing is just not OK.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Allow me to ramble a bit........

I used to live in Geenfield, Massachusetts. Greenfield is the county seat for Fraklnin County, a somewhat back-water region of Massachusetts, and a couty simultaneously touching the southern borders of both New Hampshire and Vermont. There were once TWO hospitals in that couny: Franklin Medical Center (right in Greenfield) and Farren Memorial Hospital (just outside of Greenfield in the town of Montague).

About 15 years ago, Farren got closed down, shifting the full burden of medical care exclusively to Franklin, and reducing the number of hospital beds in the county by almost 50%. The reason given was that finanically speaking they didn't believe the current population of the county could support two hospitals according to today's business models for healthcare. I believe the old Farren hospital got converted into a medical office building with specialty care offices for outpatient kind of stuff.

Meanwhile if disaster ever struck, Franlin County would not be prepared due to the lack of beds. And if a neighboring county were to suffer disaster, Franklin County would not be able to help out very much -- again due to the lack of bed space. I realize we can set up makeshift hspitals in gymnasiums and civic centers, but the original "hospital movement" that started in this nation back at the close of the 19th century was a movement of benevolence in the face of ramapnt disease like dysentary, typhoid, small pox, cholera, and polio. The point of the hospital movement from that era was never to make money, it was to save lives. And having excess beds available is part of that commitment. (On a side note, our full commitment to engaging in the hospital movement on a natinal level successfully prepared us for the efficient set up and administration of the large scale and never-before-seen medical wards needed during WWI.)

I now live in Hamden County, on the Connecticut border. This is a much larger county, with more than three times as many people as Franklin. Here in Springfield (the county seat of Hampden County) we have Baystate Medical Center, and we also have a Catholic charity hospital called Mercy (a few lesser hositals are found here and there outside of Springfield yet still in our county). There used to be three other hospitals in this city including the Cooly Dickenson Hospital, and ALL of those hospitals were born of the hospital movement at the end of the 1800's. But those other hospitals all closed in the past 20 years. Mercy can barely hang on as it is financially. Meanwhile Baystate Medical has the ONLY "level 5 trauma center" in this whole region. The LifeLift choppers are constantly flying into Baystate Medical with patients from New Hampshire and Vermont because there is no other Level 5 Trauma Center for them to go to but Baystate (Boston, Hartford, and New York are the next-nearest).

As for Haiti, I do not know how many Florida Hospitals have been blessed with a Level 5 Trauma Center, but I do not doubt for a second that those Florida hospitals have indeed been filled to capacity as far as their ability to take level-5 trauma victims.

This business model of trying to operate "lean and mean" in order to maximize profits iis, in my opinion, totaly incompatiable with the point of medical care, the point of the hospital movement, and with the calling of being a doctor or a nurse. Having excess beds on hand is prerequisite for disaster preparedness.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! Very good points for what could be happening. Except now the gov't and hospitals are saying that they never said that; that they are not turning away patients then or now.

The actual complaint about capacity was about the numbers they heard could be coming.

My criticisms have to do with why this is just being discussed now, and why the extreme measure of totally halting the airlifts to Florida? Also, who is lying here... because the stories do not add up.

I read another article I didn't link until I find out more about the paper it was printed in. The gist of that one has to do with the Superbowl and Homeland Security, but I'm hoping it's just a rag paper...

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't one or more of the charities collecting money divert some of it to pay for Haitians' medical care? I know giving it to American hospitals is not what the money was intended to do (and I think the hospital administration should be ashamed of themselves if they accept it) but if the alternative is no care I think it might have to be considered.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't one or more of the charities collecting money divert some of it to pay for Haitians' medical care? I know giving it to American hospitals is not what the money was intended to do (and I think the hospital administration should be ashamed of themselves if they accept it) but if the alternative is no care I think it might have to be considered.

Some of the smaller ones might have the flexibility to do that. We actually have a governmental system for this, which is what the letter from the Governor asked to be instated. Cool. Except that it appears they asked for it at the same time as demanding that all patients be routed elsewhere:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/fl-haiti-wrap-thursday-20100128,0,1889113.story

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1450066.html

It looks like they didn't give the existing systems even a few days to work. And they forgot about the Superbowl until now, too.

I wonder how they feel when they see people working so hard to help these folks?

BTW, the majority of those airlifted and treated in Florida are US citizens.

[We stll have 4000 Americans missing in Haiti, they say.]

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand where the Superbowl comes in to it.

(I barely know what the Superbowl IS. Is it that thing with guys and a ball or something? ;))

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, the Saints made it in!

The Superbowl is the final match in professional football. The area truly is going to be a madhouse, with many more people there than before.

But surely they knew the date and location for a while now... ;)

Last edited:

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see, the Superbowl's being held in Florida. Thank you. :)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
For-profit hospitals futzing around in order to charge more to someone they know will be able to come up with the cash?

I don't believe you.