Don't look a gift horse in the plow.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Sometimes random acts of kindness are a pain in the ass.

Let me start out by saying that I like shoveling snow. I don't know why, but there are a few ox-simple tasks that I find soothing: digging holes, slinging mulch, and shoveling snow among them. I think maybe Godzilla lives in my wrists and this is how I let him out of his pen every now and again.

So today I set myself the task of clearing out ten inches of ice-topped snow from our driveway before it petrifies to something that will keep us housebound until April. I had gotten about two-thirds of the job done, when a neighbor from up the mountain (I think his name is John Deere, and he's fussy. He has all his clothes, and even his tractor, personalized!) drives by, plowing the streets for us, because it could be sometime before the county professionals get here. He waves to me and something in his father-friendly smile gives me a sinking feeling.

Sure enough, on the way back, he pulls into my driveway and 'helps' me by finishing the rest of the shoveling with his toothy, clattering, maybe-even-homemade scoop and plow. In the process he also destroyed the asphalt, wrecked the sledding run I was trying to preserve, and tamped down all that his non-precision couldn't manage into a sheet of ice so fine and compact that my bicep and shoulder muscles and heavy-gauge plastic Home Depot special are powerless against it. The grade of our driveway has made it so that his heroics will keep us housebound anyway.

Plus I was playing OCD and counting shovel strokes. I wanted to see how much one hundred shovelfuls cleared from what I had left to do. I made it to sixty-eight.

Goddammit.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add a "goddammit" for you. It could have just been something you could shrug about tomorrow, except for the part about destroying the asphalt. I can almost see how it will look when the snow melts.

Well, what's done is done. I'll offer a hackneyed saying I don't normally use: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Nah. He was really being very kind. You don't get the impression he's the sort of dude who is very driveway-proud. Lol! Not like I am. It was just one of those crazy moments where it wouldn't have done me any good to say "no thanks" - he couldn't hear me anyway.

He was just being helpful. *sigh*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nah. He was really being very kind. You don't get the impression he's the sort of dude who is very driveway-proud. Lol! Not like I am. It was just one of those crazy moments where it wouldn't have done me any good to say "no thanks" - he couldn't hear me anyway.

He was just being helpful. *sigh*
Yeah, that's the way I took your original post. I grew up near a large army base (Fort Campbell); a lot of career military people are like that. They mean well, but there's no talking to them when they have a "mission" at hand. If they see a tree in your yard that they think should be cut down, they will sometimes come over and cut the tree down without asking anyone; in their mind they are being the best of neighbors so it's hard to be too mad at them.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, in my neighborhood there's a dearth of friendly neighbors these days thanks to repo homes and empty rentals. The most recent tenants appear to be friends with a lot of Mexican nationals who've come for an extended visit and consider the entire, narrow street their parking lot.

I think the local HOA manager died of a heart attack sometime back in late 08' and hasn't been replaced. Which, I can't really cry about, because at least I we don't get those anal retentive letters about a garbage can being left at the curb 30 minutes longer than it ought to be on collection day or reminders to trim a bush they don't like.

So, I don't have snow, or a friendly neighbor, but getting out of the driveway can be a bit of a challenge on the days their large work trucks haven't left early in the A.M. to go populate the front of Home Depot, Lowes, or Circle K.

So it goes. :)

ETA: Sorry you didn't get your Zen time. Everyone needs that, but it's hard to get that across to folks sometime.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
ETA: Sorry you didn't get your Zen time. Everyone needs that, but it's hard to get that across to folks sometime.

I love this as an alternate description of my occasional lapses into counting things for no good reason.

I will make order from chaos. Unless you stop me with your crazy-ass homemade snowplow.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I love this as an alternate description of my occasional lapses into counting things for no good reason.

I will make order from chaos. Unless you stop me with your crazy-ass homemade snowplow.

I like to refer to such interruptions as "busting my ch'i" ... :D

This is what happens when you grow up with the Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet as bedtime reading. (FWIW, I now read my kids things like Zen Shorts and all those other good reads featuring Stillwater the Zen Panda.)

Homemade snowplow... definitely original, anyway! Sounds like a man with time on his hands.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

I know exactly how you feel. I'm sorry... I gave up on being polite about it a while back, and am now FIRM with the no thanks. I probably would have stood in front of his plow until he turned around and left. :p

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It's one thing when the person who does this is a friendly neighbour, but when your lawn's torn up by a "professional" snowplow driver who's been paid good money by the co-op you live in...

<grrr>

I'm just glad we haven't had too much snow this winter, that's all.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I woke up yesterday to our porch cleared off, paths to the vehicles, and two out of three vehicles cleared off.

Our neighbor that my husband has become buddies with couldn't sleep, so he came over and gave us a hand while we were sleeping.

There is something completely zen about some manual tasks though. Sometimes I really enjoy cleaning and certain manual labor tasks.

(And I used to count how many times I chewed a bite before I swallowed. I think it keeps a certain part of my neurotic brain occupied while I do other tasks.)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The good news is, regardless of terribly sore muscles today, I'm pretty sure that all theshoveling put me well on the path to getting rid of those five extra holiday pounds I don't like.

I did my neighbor's driveway, too. He's about seventy and is an amputee. That would really be a lousy bit of work for him.

All tolled? Four hours of shoveling snow. And the bright sun today is working the John Deere-man's ice sheet better than I could, so at least we can leave if we want to.