Query Letter Advice

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
While I am certain that this is a topic that has likely already been beaten to death prior to my arrival, I am going to post it anyway.

I have written my manuscript, I like it, my "beta readers" liked it (for the record, my wife, family, and friends are not in the aforementioned group of "beta readers"), and now it is time to send it out to see the world. The first batch of queries I sent has come back with a great deal of polite "No Thank You" letters. Now, these are folks who've read nothing of the work itself, so I know it must be my actual query that is the problem.
So, how does one write an enticing query letter, anyway? I know that I should know how to do this, but the truth is that I just can't seem to get this right, and I know it's important. The fact is I am just not a salesman. I tried to sell Kirbys once, it wasn't pretty. :)

Ok, next question: Are there any reputable places where I can have my work critiqued? As I mentioned, I did have a group of people who are unaffiliated with me in any way "test read" the work, and the response was overwhelmingly positive. The issue here is that none who have read the book have any experience in the publishing game other than "end user". True, that is the most important person in the chain of publication, but as far as practical insight into the business and its intricacies they are a poor substitute for feedback from someone who has "been there before."

So, any and all advice would be heartily welcome, and thanks for taking the time to read thus far.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
This probably sounds silly, but I'd rather not post it in a public forum. The ol' confidence is taking a few hits lately, and I would rather keep it out of the public eye until I feel it is better written.