Are we allowed to...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horserider92

Registered
Reaction score
Post a link in Share Your Work instead of actually putting it on here? I have my story on Google Docs and I don't really want to post it directly on here. I just want to make sure, so is it okay to do that or is it against the rules?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, it's preferred you post it directly in SYW to make it easier for people to provide comments.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Post a link in Share Your Work instead of actually putting it on here? I have my story on Google Docs and I don't really want to post it directly on here. I just want to make sure, so is it okay to do that or is it against the rules?

No one here is going to steal your story, and the forum is password protected so that strangers can't search it. You'll be fine.

Deleted member 42

You can edit your post to remove your story once you've been critted,

People in SYW are doing a huge favor by critting, so it seems in my opinion that writers should make it as easy as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I really, really, really, really want to say it...

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Or you could suspect that a poster was tired or dyslexic and maybe send a courteous PM to a mod asking for the thread to be edited?

Aloud and allowed sound exactly the same; if you are dysphonetic, as I am, you can easily mistake them.

Yes, absolutely, orthography is important, but who among us has not had a bad day? You'll notice the rest of the post is quite coherent.

For some of us, our entire lives are made up of bad days with respect to spelling. You'll rarely find a post from me that I haven't had to edit.

It's quite possible to make an error in a thread title, realize it, and then be unable to correct it, since there's no GUI for members to correct a thread title.

Last edited:

Horserider92

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. Sometimes I type fast or I don't know how to spell a word correctly. My mistake on spelling "Allowed" wrong. Can you become dysphonetic? because if you can then I have. I've been at a school where people don't know how to spell/read for 7 years now and it's starting to hit me... I'm so use to correcting people that I'm starting to need correcting myself. At least, I'm good at editing and realizing I've made a mistake after I write stories :D

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Healthy attitude for a writer, Horserider. As a lifelong shooting competitor and teacher, some of my most notable learning came after public humiliation.

Most recent was in the last page of a novel where I had the hero "walked out between rose of chairs." My critique partners couldn't wait to wreak revenge and jump all over me. In e-mails, my sister still compares my complexion to a ROWS.

I blamed it all on my illiterate spell checker.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
From a recent discussion in SYW:

I can't speak for others, but out of concern for the safety of my computer, I do not follow links to others' sites until I know them well - and even then I'm cautious. Too much yucky viruses and other mischief out there.

Many members think the same way. It's probably best to post your sample "live" rather than expect readers to follow a link anywhere.

If you (or indeed anyone) typo a thread title and need the title edited, just contact a moderator. Some of us correct typos in passing whenever we happen to see them.

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.