If You Can't Beat 'em, Bribe 'em

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
According to ABC, Hillary has found a new use for a half-billion dollars of taxpayer money.
NATO and Afghan officials detailed a $500 million initiative for Afghanistan to negotiate with insurgents today and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton indicated she supports attempts to deal with the Taliban.

"The starting premise is you don't make peace with your friends," Clinton said at the London conference. "You have to be willing to engage with your enemies if you want to create a situation that ends the insurgency."

Noting the success of efforts to integrate members of the Iraqi insurgency, Clinton said the plan was aimed largely at Taliban foot soldiers. She said that insurgent fighters would have to renounce violence and Al Qaeda, and agree to abide by Afghan laws.
Now, let's hear from Mr. Rudyard Kipling.
It is always a temptation to a rich and lazy nation,
To puff and look important and to say:
"Though we know we should defeat you, we have not the time to meet you.
We will therefore pay you cash to go away."

And that is called paying the Dane-geld;
But we’ve proved it again and again,
That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld
You never get rid of the Dane.

Every taxpayer already knows the lesson of Dane-geld. I guess Hillary never really understood it, though.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
A surge is a surge.
Hilly made a mistake by not masking it with more soldiers. She should've went with what worked with the last batch tuff guys.

Cover-ups are usually better for the voters.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a Taliban gent $5, let alone $500 million, to walk my daughter-in-law across the street.
I doubt she'd make it.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Don, you're giving the West Coast of Florida people (I lived in St. Pete for 40 years) a bad name with this kind of conservative propaganda. You should move up here with me to Upstate South Carolina, and you could pound a few Sweet Tee-ahs with DeMint! :)