First full!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I just got my first full request ever from Jim McCarthy! I know it must not seem like much, but still, I'm a newbie to the whole submission process so I can't help but be excited. I won't get my hopes up of course, but at least it's an accomplishment :D

I've got a few questions though. When I queried him, the story was 127K. After a few rejections from other agents, I decided to cut it down and the word count's rapidly decreasing (through the story's exactly the same - I'm just getting rid of useless scenes and verbiage). So my questions are:

a) Should I let him know when submitting the full that the story's been slightly edited for a lower word count?
b) How long should one wait before submitting the full? As it is now, I don't think I'll be able to submit the full before Sunday. How long to people usually wait?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif

Congrats, when you submit just mention you've edited down the word count. Also subbing around Sunday is fine. It's best to respond promptly, I wouldn't wait weeks, but a few days is fine. Good luck

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being Friday, I imagine Sunday is fine.

I have the same questions about reducing word count, so I'll be interested in seeing what others say.

Well done, you!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I got one late Thursday night and I'm sending mine off Sunday. I wanted to read through it one more time to check for mistakes (and a friend gave me some suggestions last minute of things to be added back in), and I haven't been home in two days to do it. I imagine you're good, but as soon as possible would be my suggestion.

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. It is wonderful.

I think you should mention it when you are contacted. Just say that you've been polishing it, and tightened it down.