Rulers, big and small!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selene LuPaine

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here know a good link to a place where I can find out about the higharchy(sp...not always good at spelling) of a town and politics and the like.

For example what would be expecedt to be found in a council room? how is it governed? a court room, who watches over a town? etc. I don't know their specific names. I know about Kings and Queens, emperors empress, prince and princess, but I have been left in the dark of such things because of the religion I came from. My novel is a fantasy novel in the medivial era. I know you can fool around a bit with who rules what because it is a fantasy novel, but I really need the basics. If anyone knows a good site that would be very helpful.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I know this isn't exactly what you've asked for, but here's a URL someone gave me on the experts forum about titles of royalty and other, well, titled people, and it has a bunch of links that might lead you to what you need: http://www.chinet.com/%7Elaura/html/titles01.htmlI seem to recall seeing one of those Writer's Digest books for fantasy writers, and I'm sure it contains a lot of information about medieval society that might help you. You might check your local library and see if they have it. Sorry I can't help you any more than that--I don't know much about medieval times myself.

Selene LuPaine

Registered
Reaction score
That helps a lot thank you. I am open to more resource sites etc on the subject above if anyone has any. Thank you so much!!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Really, you need to look at a scholarly work on the Middle Ages, I think. There's a book...I can't think of the name...wait, Inventing the Middle Ages. If the info isn't in there, I'm sure the bibliography will have the source you need.

Rob :)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
If you're talking about the hierarchy in a medieval town or village, the books by Francis Gies are always a good place to start:

Life in a Medieval Village

Life in a Medieval City

I own these and find them highly useful. (stares at the 40+ medieval/renaissance/pirate books on his shelves and is glad he has an understanding wife.)

Last edited:

Selene LuPaine

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the help. I'll try to look into them all and use them as I can. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.