Word Count Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiMeiLing

Registered
Reaction score
I've read it all. I've been told time and time again that first time writers need to be under 100k. It is only the rare exception, more rare than winning the lottery, that get published if they dare go over.

So what's the damage? I have a 230K adult fantasy. The story arc does not work as separate books. And I could probably pare it down some but no way I'll be able to knock off 130,000 words without making it into something else entirely. I know that's not always a bad thing but hear me out before you decide if I'm just a naive writer without the skill to write something shorter (I know this post isn't a good example, but I CAN be consice).

So I'm in the dejection side of this forum without the rejection. I'm just preparing to send out a query (where I have NOT included word count on the advice of one of our friendly visiting agents).

Some days I just tell myself that there's a chance that I'll be that one in a million bright shining star that gets published regardless of word count. I laugh and say "take THAT Crime and Punishment!" I remind myself of all the contemporary first time authors I know who went wildly over the industry's acceptable word count for what they were writing: Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer... Most importantly I remind myself that I believe in my story. I have spent 14 years writing draft after draft. Before any of you give me the lecture that it's not about how long you spend on a novel, I know that. I would also like to add that I do NOT take that long to write anything else. I have also written other things, both novels and short stories, in the meantime, but I always come back to this story. I'm not just saying it's ready because of how long I spent or how hard I worked. I know those are irrelevant to the industry. I believe it's ready because, for the first time in 14 years, I am truly happy with it. I truly believe it is how it should be. Are there small edits and clarifications that could be done? Of course. There always are. But I feel this is finally the story in its true form.

But this is not one of the good days. This is one of those days where I read the industry standards and think about the agents that automatically reject based on word count. This is one of those days where I ask myself if I'm wasting my time even sending this out. Part of me says it's perfectly sensible to shelve this story and try one of my shorter ones. When I have more credits to my name I can try again. But I'd have to edit a shorter one, and I would just feel like a failure for not sending this one out. I would worry that I would somehow talk myself out of ever sending anything out. I remind myself that I'll never know if I never try.

I guess I'm fine with being rejected based on my writing. That's too subjective for me to feel like one person (or even 100 people) can tell me what everyone will like. I have actually sent things out before and gotten rejections. I was fine with getting rejections, even excited because it meant I was trying. But I stopped sending out those things because I personally stopped liking them. This wasn't based on the rejections at all because they were all form rejections.

But the thought of being rejected based on word count just makes me feel so hopeless. I keep thinking that even if I'm lucky enough to get someone to ask for the full manuscript, they'll reject it the moment they see it, no matter how much they like the idea or the writing.

Sigh...so I have to confess I'm mostly looking to commiserate with anyone else feeling the same. I've done all the research I can. You can throw more numbers and stats at me if you want (although, I won't say no to a few more positive ones if you've got em'. No? I thought so...). You could tell me that obviously I have to edit/ cut into separate books/ try a different book. It will all be stuff I've heard and thought myself a million times before.

Right now I just need someone else who understands.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
On the down side, I don't know who that visiting agent was, but I do know not including word count sends up a HUGE red flag, and most of the agents and editors I know assume that no word count means a novel they don't want.

On the up side, with a fantasy novel, you haven't written an impossible sell. A difficult one, yes, but certainly not impossible. I would point out there are no industry length standards for bestselling writers, and even J.K. Rowling had to write a short first novel, so you have set a big task for yourself, but very long first novels have sold, and if yours is good enough, it will sell, too.

The "under 100K for a first time writer" thing is a myth. It's nonsense. First novels usually have to fit within posted publisher's guidelines, and that's all they have to do. But a good enough novel can break right thrugh length guidelines.

If you can't find an agent, start sending query letters directly to editors. You just never know what will happen.

The worst that can happen, if your novel really is good, is that you'll have to sell a shorter novel before you can sell this one. Which leads me to what I think your biggest mistake is, and it's not writing a 230K fantasy novel. It's pulling your other writing out of submission.

You should never, ever pull material out of submission. Just because you stop liking your work means nothing. No matter how you feel as the writer, others, agent, editors, or readers, might love your stories, and if you stop submitting them, you lose.

Your other writing might be the very thing that gets this novel published.

If this novel is as good as you can make it, start submitting it, and on't stop. Ever. Get anything else you've written back into submission, and start working hard on a new, shorter novel.

This novel might well sell as is, and it's not the end of the world if you have to write and sell a shorter novel first.

LiMeiLing

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to encourage me! :) I really do appreciate it. After I wrote that post, I was a little worried that everyone would just think I was a drama queen. (And even if you did think I was a drama queen, at least you were nice about it). ;)

The visiting agent I referred to was Jennifer Laughran. Here's the quote from her thread:

IMO, 124,000 words is on the long side for a YA, even a YA fantasy. The thought of that (FOR ME) is beyond daunting. If I were you, I'd make it into two books and try shopping the first one. OR, I would edit mercilessly. OR, if you absolutely must keep every speck of this tome intact, I strongly suggest you NOT mention word count in your query letter. Here's the deal - when you mention a word count above, oh, 80k, it is this automatic red flag. I start doing math in my head. The math, combined with a sickening feeling about how I will lose a weekend cause of reading this thing, combine to blind me to the rest of your query letter.

Don't give me a reason to say no. If you don't mention it, I never think about math or feel sick. I am happy, and I start reading, and the book is superb, and I don't want to stop... and then I won't care how long it is. Get it?

And I know all agents are going to be different. Like some have auto reject computer programs if your word count's too high! I'm not even judging them for this. I figure they have a right to not even look at something if they're certain they won't want to handle it. But I feel like, if the agent is that focused on me including word count, it's going to be so they can weed me out. They're going to be just as unaccepting of the wrong word count as no word count. So darned if I do and darned if I don't.

However, I will have to disagree about the works I took out of submission. But I think it's because I have a slightly different philosophy on writing. I'm not saying it's the only right philosophy, just different.

My philosophy is that, if even I don't like my work, then it's not worth it. Because I can only please one person for absolute certain. ME. Maybe it's selfish to all those potential people who would love my unpublished work--but I don't know them. I know me.

And I'm not talking about a few bad days where I think I'm a rubbish writer. I know all writers have those. I'm talking about the fact that the works I submitted in the past were written when I was a teenager. I looked over them and the writing was bad. My writing has improved significantly since then (at least, I hope it has). MOST IMPORTANTLY, even if I could get those stories published, I no longer want them representing me. Nor are they accurate representations of my current writing. So if people did like them, they wouldn't like what I've written now. I could fix them. But I'd rather write entirely new stories that I actually like.

I have to be the primary advocate for all my work, so I have to personally believe it's good.

Is this the philosophy that is the most marketable? Probably not. But while I would love to get published, and I will doggedly persevere in the face of rejection, I'm still ultimately writing to make myself happy.

On a side note: J.K. Rowling's first book may have been comparatively shorter than her others, but Sorcerer's Stone was still considered by industry standards to be too long for a children's book. However, you are right that good writing can trump the standards. Clearly it did in Rowling's case.

Anyway, thanks again for the pep talk!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I do wish you success with this.

Judging from the amount of words you use in your posts tells me you do use lots of words to say things. lol Just an observation.

LiMeiLing

Registered
Reaction score
Another excellent and relevant quote from Jennifer when someone was freaking out about forgetting to add word count to their query. Unfortunately she doesn't do adult fiction, but I am sooo querying her when I finish editing my MG book. Hopefully she's still taking subs by then.

QUESTION:

Hello Jennifer,

I have made a HUGE mistake! I've been selectively sending queries to agents, and even though I have a pre-send checklist (font, spellcheck, Hail Mary), I somehow managed to send two of my queries without a word count.

Well. I assume the agents in question will form-reject me based on my glaring omission. Can I send another email including the word count? Will spam filters auto-delete me?
Bandanna

ANSWER
:

That is NOT a huge mistake. That is no big deal. I would never even notice. I would be much more likely to notice (and be irritated by) follow-up emails. If we love the query and want to know more, we'll ask.

Chill out. There are LOTS of reasons to reject writers. That isn't one of them.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I had kinda of mini version of this problem with my short fiction. I'd write "short" stories that were 10,000 to 12,000 words long. When I finally started writing shorter stuff, I'd hand it to my beta readers and go, "Be honest. The pace is horrible, isn't it? I'm rushing through the whole thing, aren't I?" Without fail, the reaction was always that the pacing was good. Anyway, just some encouragement that if you do decide to pick up the editing pen again (or even the editing scissors to cut the novel into parts), it may not be as horrible as you think.

We all have our pet projects we keep coming back to. I think if you have other pieces you are working on and (and it certainly sounds like you do), there's nothing wrong with having one novel that's been around a while. But give your other work a chance too. You may need your shorter works to give this, your favorite one, a boost onto the bookshelf.

I would tend to agree about not including word count in the query, if you must query this in its current form. Just my two cents.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
I kind of agree with Katrina. Might want to let this one chill, and work on something else until you can decide with a clear conscious what to do with the longer one.

Or, is "adult" enough to try to sell it as straight fantasy and ditch the YA tag? Seems to me publishers expect YA to be shorter than most fiction. SF/F seems to be a little more forgiving when it comes to word lengths.

I'm on the opposite side... holding my 50k finished novel with one agent saying, "This looks really interesting BUT it's more novella length and... hard to break out as or sell a debut author novella..." Which isn't what I was going for.. meh.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, LiMeiLing.

Since you say the book absolutely, positively cannot be shortened, it seems to me you have two options:

a) send it out
b) do nothing

So why not send it out? You seem to have a good attitude towards rejection. At the same time, work on another manuscript so that in six months you'll have hopefully queried a hundred agents with this novel and have a new one nearing completion for the agents who reply, "Too long, but I'd love to see your next."

Best wishes with your novel, and if you decide to query, do let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

jruby

Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Georgina. It can't hurt to send it out - and if you don't, you'll always be wondering, "what if"? You know? What if you were the exception to the rule and got your longer book published.

Besides, honestly, these rules are guidelines - they're not hard and fast and anything really goes within reason. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it gets rejected, then just put it under the bed for when you've got more under your belt and you can re-pitch it with credits. I read a lot of authors who after they're published and have lots of books go back to work they couldn't publish initially and have it printed - because now their name has clout.

Whatever happens, Good Luck to you! I wish you many acceptances. :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not trying to disregard what you're saying, but my first bit of advice would be to post some of it in the SYW section to see what other people think. I'm a long writer as well, and while the one I've got on submission wasn't 230k, it was 185 at the end of the first draft and I remember saying there was no way in hell I could get it under 160k. After six months of cuts, I'm now at 120, and the most surprising thing was the fact that 50k of that was cut solely by taking the unnecessary bits out of the writing itself and being more concise. I'm actually really good at doing this, and if you wanted me to look at a bit and just show you what I'd do, I'd be totally willing to help. It's also possible I'd see it and say, "Yup, you're right." ;)

I do think some stories are just meant to be longer. Mine is still "too long" for a suspense novel and I know a lot of my rejection letters are coming from that. If you really can't get it down at all, my suggestion would be to post your query letter in Query Letter Hell and we can help make sure you've got a really badass letter. You might have more of a chance if people see a great letter and realize you aren't just too wordy.

I would still recommend letting someone else look though and just see if there might be a way. Even if it would never be 120k, 150 or 180 is still better than over 200k.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
However, I will have to disagree about the works I took out of submission. But I think it's because I have a slightly different philosophy on writing. I'm not saying it's the only right philosophy, just different.

My philosophy is that, if even I don't like my work, then it's not worth it. Because I can only please one person for absolute certain. ME. Maybe it's selfish to all those potential people who would love my unpublished work--but I don't know them. I know me.

And I'm not talking about a few bad days where I think I'm a rubbish writer. I know all writers have those. I'm talking about the fact that the works I submitted in the past were written when I was a teenager. I looked over them and the writing was bad. My writing has improved significantly since then (at least, I hope it has). MOST IMPORTANTLY, even if I could get those stories published, I no longer want them representing me. Nor are they accurate representations of my current writing. So if people did like them, they wouldn't like what I've written now. I could fix them. But I'd rather write entirely new stories that I actually like.

I have to be the primary advocate for all my work, so I have to personally believe it's good.

Is this the philosophy that is the most marketable? Probably not. But while I would love to get published, and I will doggedly persevere in the face of rejection, I'm still ultimately writing to make myself happy.

On a side note: J.K. Rowling's first book may have been comparatively shorter than her others, but Sorcerer's Stone was still considered by industry standards to be too long for a children's book. However, you are right that good writing can trump the standards. Clearly it did in Rowling's case.

Anyway, thanks again for the pep talk!

Maybe I'd agree with books written as a teenager, but I can tell you from long experience that the number one reason most talented writers fail is because they find a reason not follow one or more of Heinlein's Rules, and failure to submit your work, and to keep submitting it forever, is rule number five. http://www.sfwriter.com/ow05.htm

I can understand it with books written when you were a teen, but be carfule. That's a very slippery slope. Books you write today will not bereflective of your writing ten years from now, and books you write ten years from now will not be reflective of your writing ten years after that.

As for J. K. Rowling, I repeat, there are no industry standards for bestselling writers. When your first book makes a publish several million dollars, your next book, good writing or bad, can be five thousand pages, written in crayon, and the publisher will still say, "May I have some more, please?"

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See my sig for my word count whine.

The first two or three Harry Potter books had fewer than 100K each, incidentally.

AbsoluteWrite is not a review board that you need to pass before you can be published. If you are this confident in your book and are willing to wait, then go for it. I'd like to see longer, more artful books (my own included, of course!) become all the rage. But the advice offered here is the experience of people who know the business well better than I do; word count recommendations are not something those with 10K+ posts made up just to mess with me!

For my 230K drain on our forest resources, I was faced with having a beautiful book that said exactly what I wanted the way I wanted it said. Or I could have a book that actually had a chance of being read. I've cut nearly 100K words (a novel by itself! And I'm still not done) and moved the most important parts around. Am I as happy with it as I was? No. Will a reader ever miss the missing parts? No. This book will never mean as much to someone else what it means to me, no matter how long I make it. I've therefore decided to make it as commercial as possible but still retain the essential elements of what I wanted to say. This might not be the right decision for you, but for me there was a reality to be faced.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
For my 230K drain on our forest resources, I was faced with having a beautiful book that said exactly what I wanted the way I wanted it said. Or I could have a book that actually had a chance of being read. I've cut nearly 100K words (a novel by itself! And I'm still not done) and moved the most important parts around. Am I as happy with it as I was? No. Will a reader ever miss the missing parts? No. This book will never mean as much to someone else what it means to me, no matter how long I make it. I've therefore decided to make it as commercial as possible but still retain the essential elements of what I wanted to say. This might not be the right decision for you, but for me there was a reality to be faced.

I've actually had the opposite experience. The plot changes I've made I think actually improve the story quite a bit. The only things I've taken out that I really liked were back story (and I just put two of those back in), but the changes I've made in terms of the actual plot as it's happening have all ended up being for the better. Even the writer is tighter and better paced now than it was before. If I was given a little freedom, it might end up a bit longer again, but compared to my first draft it has changed for the better.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I had a 225k monster once. I got a request from a pub to shorten it, and I did. I took out characters that served little purpose. Took out bits that were really just 'ooh look I have built a cool world!' Combined scenes so that instead of a scene that showed character followed by a scene that developed plot, it did double duty. I started scenes later and ended them earlier ( gives 'em a better punch anyway). That got it down to about 140k. Then I started looking at individual sentences. Do I really need it? If so, do I really need every word?

Got that sucker down to 110k, and not only was the story essentially unchanged, it was way, way, WAY better for the paring.

Then I sold it.

Okay, maybe you can't cut yours that much. But take a good, critical look at it. Is every scene VITAL? If not can you combine the few bits that you need into another scene? Are all those side characters necessary or can you combine some? Have you got scenes that are just there to show how cool your world is? Can you get a beta reader to point out places where it might drag so you can tighten the pace?

If, in the end, you can't, if cutting it would ruin your story, then sub it. Fantasy doorstoppers by debut authors aren't actually that rare, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Just make sure it's the very best you can make it before you sub

GL

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, book three actually had 107,000 words, but it's a good point. The longest was, what, just under 200K?

The real lesson here is, I think, know how long a book is suppsed to be before you start writing, and then make the book come in at that length.

Any story can be told at any length. Length is a decision.

LiMeiLing

Registered
Reaction score
I have specific answers for some of you but thanks to all for your thoughtful responses! :) jruby and Georgina your words came closest to how I feel, so thanks for that.

Also, I just wanted to add, the draft before the 230k was 500k. So I can be brutal in my edits. I've also begged my current betas to tell me if anything big looks like it needs to be cut or if the story could be split, but they've all said no (and trust me, they can be brutal too). I pretty much take out anything they've pointed out as unnecessary, but they're all small things.

Or, is "adult" enough to try to sell it as straight fantasy and ditch the YA tag? Seems to me publishers expect YA to be shorter than most fiction. SF/F seems to be a little more forgiving when it comes to word lengths.

I'm on the opposite side... holding my 50k finished novel with one agent saying, "This looks really interesting BUT it's more novella length and... hard to break out as or sell a debut author novella..." Which isn't what I was going for.. meh.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. My 230k novel is an adult book. I have ANOTHER completed but unedited MG. The MG is 70k. After looking up some of those word counts, that one's just fine lengthwise.

Heh, and I know. I've seen a bunch of writers here with entirely the opposite problem. If only we could somehow average our word counts and then we'd all be just right!

Kaitie - I sincerely appreciate your generous offer to look at my work, and I may take you up on it a little later if you're still up for it. But let me just explain why I haven't yet gone to the SYW section. I do have a solid group of beta readers that I do know personally, but I have to confess that I don't yet feel comfortable posting my entire work online. I'm not worried about anyone stealing it, (it'd be great if they wanted to)! It's more that I just like to know a person who's beta reading my stories so I know how much weight to give each of their comments. For example, some of my current beta's don't read fantasy, so when they say they don't like the magic parts, I give it a little less weight than when the fantasy readers tell me this. I also have a really conservative beta who, if he had his way, would have me take out every mention of sex. :p Whereas most the others have said they appreciate how tame my intimate scenes are. So that's why I like to know a beta's personal tastes a little better. It just helps me work with them.

I am seriously considering the Query Letter forum, though, because there's only so many times I can have my betas look at my query before they kill me. :p Plus, it'd be great to have advice from those who've actually sent some out.

The real lesson here is, I think, know how long a book is suppsed to be before you start writing, and then make the book come in at that length.

Any story can be told at any length. Length is a decision.

Girl meets boy. Something bad happens. They fix it. Kiss. The end. There, I've just retold every romance ever. You're right! Length is a decision!

Okay, that was cheeky, sorry. But I will have to respectfully disagree. I do believe that length is an important marketing factor because publishing houses don't want to pay for the extra paper for a debut author. This makes perfect business sense and is completely fair reasoning on their part. But it has nothing to do with the actual craft of writing. I agree a lot of shorter stories are better written than long rambling ones. But I also strongly believe that there are really long books that are wonderful stories and shouldn't have anything cut out. Long does not equal bad writing.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I actually understand your reservations and that's cool. :) And already cutting it in half is absolutely amazing! I didn't realize you had already made that kind of major cuts. In that case it really might be harder to bring down any more.

Jamesaritchie...I completely and absolutely disagree with you on this. Beyond disagree. I believe in writing a story for the STORY. You can screw up a book just as bad by cutting out everything that makes the story interesting just to fit a particular word count. What about something like The Historian, which is considered a wonderful book but is insanely long? Do you really mean to say that the author should have figured out how to tell that story in 100k instead of 350k? Maybe if you know in advance when you start writing about how long you want it to be then you can plan a plot accordingly, but a lot of stories warrant being longer. Saying you should just make every story fit an arbitrary length because that happens to be what publishers are looking for more right now is just silly to me. Now, saying, "You might not get it published if it's longer" is true, but I just can't agree that every story out there can and should be told in the same length.

LiMeiLing

Registered
Reaction score
I actually understand your reservations and that's cool. :) And already cutting it in half is absolutely amazing! I didn't realize you had already made that kind of major cuts. In that case it really might be harder to bring down any more.

Thanks kaitie! I'm glad you understand. And I was serious about probably wanting you to take a look after I know a little more about your tastes and editing style. Do you have stuff in SYW that I could look at so I could get an idea about that stuff? I'm referring to both works you have written and/or other people's works you've commented on. I hope it doesn't seem like a double standard to want to see your work first, but it's really just to get an idea of the type of person you are, not to grade or judge you you. Honestly, anyone who offers to look at my work gets an automatic A from me! Most my beta readers I've known for years, so I just already know these things about them. You seem quite savvy, though, so I can't think of any reason I wouldn't want your advice. I would love it if someone could give me more good advice on cuts.

I would just send my story to you, though, because I don't have the energy to look into everyone on the SYW section. I also feel like I'd want to contribute to the community more before I would ask anyone who doesn't already offer to look at my 230k monster.

On a side note, I was able to cut my last draft in half based on a suggestion from one of my betas. So I certainly know the value of good advice.

I can understand it with books written when you were a teen, but be carfule. That's a very slippery slope. Books you write today will not bereflective of your writing ten years from now, and books you write ten years from now will not be reflective of your writing ten years after that.

As for J. K. Rowling, I repeat, there are no industry standards for bestselling writers. When your first book makes a publish several million dollars, your next book, good writing or bad, can be five thousand pages, written in crayon, and the publisher will still say, "May I have some more, please?"

I see what you're saying here and I agree that it is important to distinguish "not good" from "different style." And of course, avoid James Joyce type angst where you burn your work in a fit of pique. My teen works had potential. Some of them I may one day return to one day. But it is the writing that was clumsy. Will my writing continue to improve? I hope so. But I feel I've finally reached a stage where I can't go back an legitimately say the writing's bad, just different, and my tastes may have changed as well. But I'm actually the poster child for the idea of never giving up on a work you believe in. I started the first draft of this story when I was 10 (NOT the same draft, though. I'm not that slow!). The concept has also evolved significantly. And most of it's (thankfully) completely unrecognizable to my original scribblings. The current draft I started when I was 20. But it's important that the core IDEA is worth it. Some of my old ideas aren't worth it. This one was and, clearly, I dedicated my life to it.

LOL about the crayon. So sadly true....

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I have both, though I'm not entirely certain I'd say that the writing samples I have in SYW are necessarily representative. One was a short story from ten years ago that I posted as an example when I asked a question elsewhere (which would obviously be improved on at this point). The others are some scenes that were giving me problems from my last story, so you could take a look at those if you want. My style varies with the story, though. The current one I'm writing looks nothing like the last one. I could send you a bit if you wanted to see, though. There are also some critiques I've done in there. I'm pretty sure if you go through "find posts" or maybe do a search on my name for SYW you'll be able to see which ones I commented on specifically. Anyway, if you want some examples of things I've done I can send them your way, and if you'd like me to take a look just send me a PM. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Jamesaritchie...I completely and absolutely disagree with you on this. Beyond disagree. I believe in writing a story for the STORY. You can screw up a book just as bad by cutting out everything that makes the story interesting just to fit a particular word count. What about something like The Historian, which is considered a wonderful book but is insanely long? Do you really mean to say that the author should have figured out how to tell that story in 100k instead of 350k? Maybe if you know in advance when you start writing about how long you want it to be then you can plan a plot accordingly, but a lot of stories warrant being longer. Saying you should just make every story fit an arbitrary length because that happens to be what publishers are looking for more right now is just silly to me. Now, saying, "You might not get it published if it's longer" is true, but I just can't agree that every story out there can and should be told in the same length.

I absolutely mean to say the writer should figure out how to tell a story within the maximum posted publisher's length guidelines. You don't have to cut out anything interesting, anything essential, in order to do so.

Every story out there can be told at any length. This is why so many award-winning novels began life as award-winning short stories.

There's ALWAYS something else interesting to say. There's ALWAYS something else you can add to a story. If you choose to do so, you can write a two million word novel without adding one thing that isn't interesting.

Or you can tell that same story in three or four thousand words, and still have a beautiful, award-winning story, and no reader out there will miss what you didn't write.

You should always know in advance how long the novel will be. Always. And it isn't hard to determine. You go look at publisher's guidelines for the genre you're writing, and that's how long you have to make the novel. Not doing so is just an all too common form of self-sabotage. This is why publishers post length guidelines. They rightfully expect writers to read and follow them.

The excuse for not doing is always teh same. The story needed or warranted and wanted or begged to be longer or shorter. It simply isn't true. The story needs to be exactly as long as you choose to make it.

Nor does it take planning and plotting. Length is primarily a simple matter of structure, and of then delinberately choosing what events to put in or leave out according to the structure.

All those books you see in bookstores are not the length they are because all those stories need to be a certain length, or warranted being a certain length, but because the writers knew going in how long a novel should be in order to match what publishers want, and chose to write the novels at that length by applying proper structure, and by then putting in or leaving out events according to that structure.

Not all stories have to be told at exactly the same length. You can take an idea and write a short story, or a 100,000 word novel. You can bring your novel in at 80, 000 words, at 120,000 words, or, if it's a fantasy or an historical novel, and 150,000 words.

But every first novel out there absolutely can and should be brought in within length guidelines, and you aboslutely can tell any story at any length.

When you start earning your publisher millions of dollars, you can then write a 250,000 word doorstop, and it may well be a wonderful novel. But it would also have been a wonderful novel at 120,000 words, or at 150,000 words, or as a 5,000 word short story.

As I said, there will always be interesting scenes you can add, there will always be interesting events, obstacles, and characters you can add. You can build a two million word novels full of never-ending suspense, filled with action, overflowing with wonderful character, a novel where every word that belongs.

Or you can tell that same story every bit as well at 120,000 words, and not a reader alive will realize anything is missing.

Length is always a choice, and when you write a novel so it falls outside of publisher's guidelines, which you should know in advance, that's a choice, as well.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
My own experience is that I finished my novel at 160K and got it down to 127K before querying. I got one partial (from Kirstin Nelson, but she's already stated on her blog that she doesn't care about word length - as long as the pacing's good) but she rejected. I also sent it to one agent and four minutes later got a reject due to word count. I think that's when I started to ask around. I was totally freaking out because I mean, there are definitely some books with high word counts that get published, even from debut authors, (Graceling -115K, City of Bones - 130K). So I figured, why can't mine be that way?

The thing is, when I went back and looked at the story I realized that there was a lot of stuff that really didn't need to be there - a lot of pacing issues, a lot of needless words, dialogue tags and descriptions that were more confusing than helpful...I think sometimes you might feel l ike you absolutely can't cut any more because you don't know WHAT to cut...or you may not be willing to. Once I learned more about editing I was able to get it down to 93K and I've been getting more bites. More importantly, the story is better now.

Still, that's just me. Sometimes a story really is that long that it has to be told in 230K words or whatnot. If you absolutely can't get it down, then like others have suggested, maybe you should just query it anyway and work on something else. If you get one successful book through the door, publishers will be more willing to take a risk on a longer work because they have reason to believe from previous sales that it'll sell.

Anyway, good luck with everything!

LiMeiLing

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Roly! I'm excited to hear that Kristen Nelson doesn't care about word count because she's on my query list. I have been going through my book to pull out as much as I can but it is looking very unlikely that I'll get it under 200,000 even if I sacrifice some pretty large things

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.