For all you parents out there...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing the scene where the pregnant woman goes to the doctor's office for her first ultrasound.

Tell me anything - terminology, emotions. Could you actually see the baby's shape? What did the doctor say/do? Mothers - How many months along were you? How much weight had you gained by that point? Fathers - how did you feel? What were your thoughts/worries/concerns? Did this make you feel any differently toward your wife/gf (mother of your child)?

Some of these things I've researched, but I want it first hand. I can imagine how it would feel to hear the heartbeat and see that child, but again, I want to hear it first hand.

And if any of you got pregnant through a one-night stand, you told the father, and the father wanted to be part of the child's life (and you feel comfortable discussing it) please PM me. I might have some questions. :)

Thanks so much!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's a very exciting,moving experience.
What I remember:

1. The gel they put on your stomach is COLD!
2. Baby looked like a little bean (I had an early scan because of issues with previous pregnancy). It was just amazing, I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing the scene where the pregnant woman goes to the doctor's office for her first ultrasound.

Tell me anything - terminology, emotions. Could you actually see the baby's shape? The ultrasounds are very exciting and a little scary for the first one. For many it's the first time the pregnancy is real. For me it was the heartbeat but the ultrasound is the first time you see the baby. They didn't use a lot of terminology around me, they would type it in and then explain it in lame man's words. Like "Here's the heart, it has four chambers, that's good. Here's the brain, it's developing well. I can't remember at which week it was, but the baby is pretty developed. You can see fingers and toes, their stomach looks round and their head looks round, you can see eyes and and their mouth and ears if they're turned right. Also different doctors will order an ultrasound at different times, as well as how the pregnancy is going. If you start bleeding for example sometimes they'll order an ultrasound to make sure the baby is still there. My sister's heart was broken when they did one and the baby was gone and she had to go in for a D&C. Here's a week by week picture gallery. http://pregnancy.about.com/od/fetus/a/uswbw.htm

What did the doctor say/do? Mothers - How many months along were you? I remember now, I was 15 weeks along for my first ultrasound. How much weight had you gained by that point? None, I had actually lost weight, but I had extra weight to begin with. Here's a link as to what you should gain. http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/symptoms/a/weightgain.htm Some people gain weight, especially if they're really skinny to begin with, others can lose it and not gain until the last trimester. Also depends on how bad their morning sickness is. Mine was very mild but I was working. Fathers - how did you feel? What were your thoughts/worries/concerns? Did this make you feel any differently toward your wife/gf (mother of your child)? My husband cried, it was the first time it was real for him. The baby was just starting to kick to where he could feel it, but when he saw it, it hit him that he was going to be a dad.

Some of these things I've researched, but I want it first hand. I can imagine how it would feel to hear the heartbeat and see that child, but again, I want to hear it first hand.

And if any of you got pregnant through a one-night stand, you told the father, and the father wanted to be part of the child's life (and you feel comfortable discussing it) please PM me. I might have some questions. :)

Thanks so much!

Hope it helps. :)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
If you need more, here's what I remember: I was very, very nervous because the doctor had told us ahead of time we needed to see a heartbeat to make sure everything was okay at that point. I don't think that is typical, but I was on the older range for first-time moms, so maybe that's why he was being cautious.

My husband and I both tend to joke when we are nervous, so when the little blob first showed up on the screen, my husband made a joke about how it looked like him.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is TMI but the first ultra sound for my kids was 'internal'. I was totally unaware about this so you can imagine my surprise when the doctor walked in and put a condom and gel on a falic shaped instrument while I was lying there with my stomach exposed. He looked at me like I was a total idiot. I was only 6 weeks along, and at that point they really can't see much if they do it on the stomach so they go...in. I was pretty mortified about that with the first kid.

After you've had a baby you get used to being treated like livestock...very little modesty is associated with childbirth, but at first it was a bit humiliating for me. I'm a big baby like that so even during the birth I was very uncomfortable being exposed to a room full of people.

Anyway, the first ultrasound was surreal. It's just a round little object but there's a flickering in the middle. That's the heartbeat and it was awesome to see that little thing pumpin' away.

The second ultrasound, for me, was way more fun b/c they did 3D at 20 weeks so I got to see my kid's faces...very very cool. Some of the features we saw in the ultrasound are very obvious now. For example my kids have pointy chins and we saw that at 20 weeks.

My husband was very 'meh' about the whole thing. He didn't get all that enthusiastic until the kids were born. He wasn't very into the pregnancy in terms of the kids...he was more concerned with making sure I was taken care of so I wasn't crabby :).

Hope that helps a little!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Greta - nope, not TMI. That helps a lot! Thank you! I bet that 3D picture was incredible!

Melia - thank you! Joking...that's something my MC would do.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Another person who remembers the gel being freezing cold right here! Also, the tube was humongous, and made made an awesome farting noise when she squeezed it on me, so of course we joked about it.

I remember seeing the pictures, she was very clear and did NOT like the ultrasound machine. Every time they zeroed in on her she would kick the wand off. Literally, kick my stomach so hard on the exact spot it was beaming at her from to make it fly off. She is still a pistol today.

We also couldn't tell the gender since she was pedaling an imaginary bicycle the entire time, and she kept banging her hands on the side of my uterus facing the wand the whole time. She was probably saying, "stop beaming that thing at me!" but the pictures came out looking like hi fives.

My husband couldn't come, we thought it was just going to be a routine checkup and the doctor decided I needed an US since I wasn't gaining weight, so he didn't take off work for it. We were both really bummed about that, as they didn't do another for the rest of the pregnancy. I started crying, just from pure happiness when I first saw my daughter.

MAP

Registered
Reaction score
I was very nervous and excited during the ultra sound for my first child (around 5 months, and I think I had gained like 15 pounds). I had a close friend who found out there was something wrong with her baby during her ultra sound, so I was nervous although I had no reason to think there would be anything wrong.

The gel was really cold and goopy. They push down pretty hard on my stomach with the sensor, but it didn't hurt. I remember they clicked around a lot measuring everything from leg length to circumference of the head. They pointed out organs like heart and stomach and brain. They also asked if us if we wanted to know the sex which we did. It took a really long time before they said everything looked normal which was a huge relief. That was when I finally relaxed and enjoyed seeing my baby for the first time. My doctor let us video tape the ultra sound, but I am not sure if they allow that anymore. They also told us the baby was too small for 5 months and pushed back my due date two weeks.

My husband and I left with our video tape and pictures and went out for icecream. It wasn't the first time the pregnancy felt real, that was when we first heard the heart beat, but it did make us incredibly excited about becoming parents.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
When I had my ultrasounds, they made me drink a ton of water and wouldn't let me pee until it was done. I thought I was going to burst! Now I think they do most internal. Hearing the heartbeat is amazing. I had already felt the baby kick, but I couldn't get past this notion that there was an alien growing inside of me, but when I saw it on the screen, heard the very fast beat of its little heart, it became my baby.

One thing I remember from the ultrasound with my son (I was about 5 months along) was the tech asking me, "Do you want to know the sex of the baby?"
I said that I did to which she replied, "Good, because we can't hide it." They labeled the print out pictures, pointing to each part and naming it, on one, it simply said, "leg. . .boy. . .leg." :D

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My ultrasounds were awhile ago, but, oh, the emotions--I had my first ultrasound when my first child was seven months in utero, I cried, I was so happy, even though the film at that time was grainy. I wanted to hold him in my arms right then and there. My husband was excited, but not moved to tears like me. Only when the baby was born.

My other ultrasound was when I was pregnant a third time. I was about six weeks along. It was the internal one, with a wand inside the canal (I remember it hurting a little). All the tech saw were two blobs, no babies. The doctor was there and confirmed it. I cried that time, too, but from extreme sadness. My husband held my hand and sat with me, quietly.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Canotila - I love your story! I can just imagine that little girl kicking away the wand and not wanting to show you who she was. So cute.

MAP - Thank you so much for sharing! I think I'd be nervous too - you two deserved the ice cream. :)

storygirl - that's so cute! He was proud of his...body part...wasn't he? lol

Stormie - your story is beautiful - I am sorry about your twins. I can't imagine how awful that was. I am relieved to hear that your husband was there with you and supportive.

AKA Me

Registered
Reaction score
With both my kids the first ultrasound was in my OB/GYN's office and was the vaginal one. I was just a few weeks along, maybe 6 as someone else said, that sounds about right. At that early stage there is no baby to see. There is just a little bean-shaped shadow jumping up and down (that's the heartbeat). You can hear the heartbeat too, very fast when they are so little. Seeing and hearing the heartbeat makes it real that there is a living being growing inside you. The first time, my husband and I were both profoundly moved to realize that we did indeed create a whole new life.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Sorry if this is TMI but the first ultra sound for my kids was 'internal'. I was totally unaware about this so you can imagine my surprise when the doctor walked in and put a condom and gel on a falic shaped instrument while I was lying there with my stomach exposed. He looked at me like I was a total idiot. I was only 6 weeks along, and at that point they really can't see much if they do it on the stomach so they go...in. I was pretty mortified about that with the first kid.

After you've had a baby you get used to being treated like livestock...very little modesty is associated with childbirth, but at first it was a bit humiliating for me.

Quoted for truth. LOL

My OB/GYN told the nurse to get my husband (who was waiting in the hallway) when the heartbeat appeared on the screen. The door flung open and the hubster walked in to the darkened room. The first thing he saw was my feet in stirrups, legs spread wide open and my doctor shoving something up my hoo-ha. Definitely a deer in headlights moment for him.

It was nothing like what they show on television.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter just today emailed me her ultrasound photos. She's about 4 months along and its a boy. In one shot you can see the full length of the spine and yes, it looks like a baby. In another you can see the arms and in one you can see the outline of a foot with five toes pressing up against her stomach. Apparently the little guy was jumping around quite a bit.

This will be our 2nd grandson. Our first is due in March.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Quoted for truth. LOL

My OB/GYN told the nurse to get my husband (who was waiting in the hallway) when the heartbeat appeared on the screen. The door flung open and the hubster walked in to the darkened room. The first thing he saw was my feet in stirrups, legs spread wide open and my doctor shoving something up my hoo-ha. Definitely a deer in headlights moment for him.

It was nothing like what they show on television.

Oh my goodness, that's hilarious! Thanks for the story (and the laugh!)

My daughter just today emailed me her ultrasound photos. She's about 4 months along and its a boy. In one shot you can see the full length of the spine and yes, it looks like a baby. In another you can see the arms and in one you can see the outline of a foot with five toes pressing up against her stomach. Apparently the little guy was jumping around quite a bit.

This will be our 2nd grandson. Our first is due in March.

Congratulations! That's wonderful! Sounds like a busy baby! :) Thank you for sharing!

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Tell me anything - terminology, emotions. Could you actually see the baby's shape? What did the doctor say/do? Mothers - How many months along were you? How much weight had you gained by that point? Fathers - how did you feel? What were your thoughts/worries/concerns? Did this make you feel any differently toward your wife/gf (mother of your child)?

Our only scan for our son was done at 16 weeks. I don't recall having gained much weight at that point, i was too busy being sick. We could see him beautifully and whilst the sonographer said nothing about the sex, even i could see he was a boy (thanks to a very handy star jump). The sonographer was quite quiet, only pointing out that everything was okay. It was a very emotional moment for me, because that really was our baby and it really sunk in that i was pregnant. The worries? As simple as anything being 'wrong'. The other half was quiet but loved that we were able to take away pictures from the scan. Oh, for what it's worth, our scan was a tummy one, not an internal.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com

Thanks so much!

You want the high risk version or the "normie" version?

I'll do both.

"Normie" version:

First ultrasound is around 18 to 20 weeks.
They are looking for Tri-13 and Tri-18 (two types of downs syndrome), hydrocyphalactic defects, limb defects, heart and organ defects, spinabifida, general estimated size, weight and gestation. Also something called EDD (estimated due date). Normally, here in Canada, the technician will NOT tell you the gender.

Normally it's outer body ultrasound (as in across the tummy). Some techs warm the spyrogel, some don't. The machine hums, and it's black and white screen. At first they have it turned away from you so as to do their measurements (femur length, head circ, abdominal circ, umbilical pulse and blood flow, placental degradation or lack of, placement of placenta, baby position (back, anterior, front to mom's back, head up, head down, etc).

They will mark the head, bottom and back as well as belly and print out several pictures for the mom to take home with her. They also then turn the screen and show you head, face (if in the right position), arms. They also show you the beating heart and you will hear the placenta pulse and heart beat.

High risk - very different. ALL of the above with the added cervical probe, yes, they use a condom to cover (sanitary reasons) and it's inserted through the vaginal opening to get a better look from the inside for cervical length, thickness and dilation (or lack of) along with a whole new angle on viewing baby. Any scaring from previous issues (such as c-sections, uterine ruptures) and any abnormalities that would show up such as bicorneated uterus (septum in the uterus, much like a cardiac septum, dual chambered, pear shaped rather than heart shaped uterus).

A woman is considered high risk when she has a history of incompetent cervix, bicorneated uterus, previous losses, previous genetic defects, premature labor and delivery, prom, eprom, prodromol labour, pre-eclampsia, eclampsia, measles during pregnancy, chicken pox during pregnancy, Heb A, B, C or gestational diabetes, diabetes 1 and 2 or any other health complications.

I've had all 5 pregnancies labeled as high risk, had two premature babies (29 weeks, 33 weeks), frank breech with prolapsed cord and uterine rupture. I have a bicorneated uterus and incompetent cervix with silent prodromol labor. One baby was born with a true double knotted umbilical cord (there's nutchual, fake knotted umbilical cord). My last two were emergency c-sections. First three were all natural, no drugs, no epidural, no spinal, no nothing - purely natural vaginal births.

Here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=113724&l=920186858e&id=787315407

My youngest up there. 20 week ultrasound.

Michael Parks

In the moment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelparks.info
Prior to the ultrasound, despite my best intentions, love, etc., the baby was a veiled biological present, a "will be someday" kind of pseudo-person-to-be... a work in progress somewhere under the skin of my wife's belly.

When the audio came up and I heard a heart racing, the veil lifted and it was as if a part of me flew down this tunnel separating me and our child, and I was instantly curious, awed, protective, and connected. What had been two was now suddenly three. "We" were now "three".

My wonder mixed with my wife's wonder and it just unfolded - the 2D imagery came up and the nurse helped us orient ourselves. The tiny feet, the bent legs, the big torso and the head. The nurse wasn't allowed to declare gender, but she pointed with her finger at the obvious - we were having a boy.

From those moments on, it was the three of us. I left the clinic with an entirely new perspective. Life had been jump-started with the reality of the new life I'd already "known" was on the way, and my wife "suddenly" became a precious cargo-carrier, and I, the co-protector of them both.