This is actually a question (combined with a rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
I know that generally, you're not supposed to respond to rejections, but I received a very sweet one this morning that I would like to thank the editor for. Think it'll be frowned upon? For the record, it's an e-mail correspondence.

In sad news, yet another rejection! This poem is getting to be a hard sell, because I can't quite figure out what kind of magazine would want it. I'm definitely used to rejection, and was definitely expecting a lot of them, but I'm beginning to wonder if it even HAS an audience, never mind what it might be.

Ah well. I'll just have to keep trying.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nver, ever, for any reason respond negatively to a rejection. But it does no harm to respond positively. When an editor goes out of his way to be nice, to explain, etc., a short, polite thank you e-mail is fine.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
First, sorry for the rejections!

Whether or not you should respond, I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't. First, I wouldn't waste my time or the editor's. Secondly, it doesn't seem professional.

But this is only *my* opinion and I'm frequently wrong. <g>

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
First, sorry for the rejections!

Whether or not you should respond, I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't. First, I wouldn't waste my time or the editor's. Secondly, it doesn't seem professional.

But this is only *my* opinion and I'm frequently wrong. <g>

For a standard rejection, it isn't very professional. But when and if an editor goes one step beyond, which is rare, it's nice to get a thank you.

I've been on that side of the desk, and when I do use precious time to tell a writer why I'm rejecting his work, a thank you comes across as nice.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't send a thank you. I would refer to the note next time I had a submission.

Reaction score
I know someone who responded to a rejection with a thank you and an enquiry as to whether they could submit future works. The editor said yes and they subsequently bought two books from this writer.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I've sent a short thank you in response to personal rejections. As long as you are sincere and brief, I don't see the harm. I have had responses thanking me for the thank you and detailing a little more of what they would like to see.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I've been thanked for personalized rejections, as well, and have never taken it amiss.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I got a "Thank you, you made my day" for a similar response, in a similar situation. It's nice to be nice.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Let me put this another way. For every writer who responds to a personalized rejection with an appropriate "thank you for taking the time", an editor may get several e-mails from writers who say something like, "Yur a dum sumbitch who woudn't know good righting if it was tatued on yur ass."

That "thank you for taking the time" makes up for a lot of crap, and even if I never buy anythng from that writer, I will at least pay careful attention to his submissions, and start reading them in a good mood. That matters.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did thank an editor for a wonderful rejection letter for a short story. He mentioned things that happened in the story (proving he'd read it), said he enjoyed it but that it wasn't something that he could currently use. When put in those terms, I believed him instead of thinking he just rubber stamped a rejection with a flimsy reason.

Being civil to me took no more than two minutes of his time. It took me no more than two minutes to be civil back.

Status
Not open for further replies.