PDA

View Full Version : What do I buy?

JimmyB27
01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Ok, so, I'm just about solvent enough again for a long (long, long, long) overdue PC upgrade. Hurrah!
This gives me a dilemma. So many awesomesauce games out there that I've missed, and only so many hours in the day.
I suspect I'm going to get a million dissenting views, but I'm going to put the question out there anyway: which ones do I buy?
I reckon on maybe two or three max would keep me more than occupied. One will probably be the latest Total War game, as I love that series.
Games I've heard very good things about: Mass Effect (do I need the first one, or could I go straight to the new one about to come out?), Bioshock (new one of those soon, right - same question), Fallout 3, Borderlands, CoD Modern Warfare, Dragon Age, is GTA 4 out on PC - reckon that might be a must...
Any other suggestions? Other than that I don't go so long without a gaming machine again. :p

brokenfingers
01-27-2010, 04:58 PM
I would suggest Fallout 3 as I think it's one of the best games of all time.

I've also heard there are serious problems with the latest Total War. Check out some game forums before you buy it. A lot of people are very unhappy. (I have all the other ones though and they totally rock.)

Pepper
01-28-2010, 01:31 AM
I would personally buy the first Mass Effect and Bioshock before you play the new ones. For starters, while you play the first games, the new ones will be dropping in price. Plus I think there's a lot of storyline and juicy gameplay you'll miss out on if you don't.

I was vastly disappointed with Dragonage, and wouldn't buy it again if I were in the position, though I know there'll be others who disagree. The storyline is great and unique, and the voice acting is good too. The visuals suck. They seem hugely outdated, even though they're not pixelated or anything. The character models are chunky and ugly, and much of the scenery is simple pattern slapped on simple models. Gah. (ETA: ) I'm also not a fan of the control system/battles.

SPMiller
01-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Borderlands isn't really worth its current price unless you have a tightknit clique of gamer friends and perhaps not even then. It tries to be like Diablo 2 but fails because (just to pick a few examples) its item effects aren't particularly diverse, there's no item customization, and the quests are in general nothing special. Oh, gee, I got another gun with slightly higher accuracy and fire rate. Whoop dee doo.

Bioshock and Mass Effect are quite good, but you should also go back and play Planescape: Torment and System Shock 2 if you haven't yet.

Fallout 3 isn't Fallout 2. That could be either good or bad for you, depending on your perspective.

JimmyB27
01-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Bioshock and Mass Effect are quite good, but you should also go back and play Planescape: Torment and System Shock 2 if you haven't yet.

I'm looking for new, up to date games, not shoddy old stuff I could play now! :P

On a related note, my hardware knowledge is way out of date. Anyone got any advice on spec - specifically processors. i5 or i7? At comparable prices, the i5 is rated faster, but there must be something about the i7 that makes it better. So, a faster i5 or an i7?