Let's get another hyphen post going

Corinthianblue

Turbofacepalming since 1996
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna run this sentence by you guys.

“I would like to see records of all the men banished in the past—what shall we say?—six months?”

Correct? Not correct? Suggestions?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
“I would like to see records of all the men banished in the past—what shall we say?—six months?”
“I would like to see records of all the men banished in the past--what shall we say--six months?"

One question mark. You were right about the two sets of hyphens. In a sentence,you should be able to take away the words within the sets and it will still be a complete sentence.

Last edited:

Corinthianblue

Turbofacepalming since 1996
Registered
Reaction score
Reason why I'm asking was because I've seen a good number of authors doing exactly what I wrote originally. Was curious.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't often disagree with Stormie, but I do now. (Maryn ducks.)

I'd write it this way: “I would like to see records of all the men banished in the past—what shall we say, six months?”

Maryn, disagreeable

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd get rid of the hyphens completely. They simply aren't needed.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously no one cares to mention the fact--though I'm sure most know--this thread discusses the use of dashes, not hyphens.

Webster defines a hyphen as "a mark (-) used between the parts of a compound word or the syllables of a divided word. . . ."

In cursive writing, a dash is a "stroke with a pen . . . punctuation marking a break in thought."

In print, it's a single line about as long as an "m."

The confusion over what to call dashes or hyphens may arise because early typewriters had no "em dash," so the typist inserted two unspaced hyphens between parts separated by a dash.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I don't often disagree with Stormie, but I do now. (Maryn ducks.)

I'd write it this way: “I would like to see records of all the men banished in the past—what shall we say, six months?”

Maryn, disagreeable

He-He! It's okay, Maryn. :D So don't go hiding. I promise I won't get all "stormie" !

Anway, I originally thought as you did for the sentence, but reread it. The person speaking isn't talking about the past, but about how many months. The past three months, the past sixth months....

thePenDragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceyboyce.com
I would give a definite no to "in the past—what shall we say, six months?" There's no grammar theory I know in which a — and a , go together to separate out part of a sentence. I think what you have in the original post was fine, plus or minus the second ? I think this is kind of a subjective point, and there's no set-in-stone rule for it. Except no — and ,

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
The original bothers me a little because of the two question marks, but it would probably work in a novel... in fact, I've seen that sort of thing in novels and it didn't slow me down at all. It's clear enough and we get a good sense of the speaker's inflection.

Stormie's version is an improvement, IMO, because it leaves out one question mark without any loss of meaning or inflection. It's cleaner, less distracting.

Maryn's version is the best, though; we get the inflection, but in the tightest, most concise package yet.

K Ackermann

This is me, smiling back at you :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know... one thing I do know is that I hate redundant, unnecessarily-hyphenated, redundant words.