PDA

View Full Version : Buyer's Remorse

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:18 AM
I haz it.

Don't you hate when you get it.

I have a beautiful new piece of art on my wall...about 4' x 4'. I look at it and love it love it...but feel oh so guilty!

What have you purchased lately that has left you feeling the stab of buyer's remorse?

Silver King
01-26-2010, 07:26 AM
My car.

I don't want to talk about it, so please don't bring it up again!

aadams73
01-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Don't you hate when you get it.

Yes.

Wicked
01-26-2010, 07:29 AM
I bought a lovely little Brachypelma emilia.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6026/presentingdolly.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/presentingdolly.jpg/)

I love her dearly, but still feel a bit guilty about spending that much. It took me six months worth of cartoons to pay for her.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
My car.

I don't want to talk about it, so please don't bring it up again!

That reminds me of the time I walked into a Jeep dealership and bought a brand new 1992YJ on a whim. I wanted one for ever and I hated that car until the day it died.

Never buy a car on a whim...even a Jeep.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:31 AM
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6026/presentingdolly.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/presentingdolly.jpg/)

I love her dearly, but still feel a bit guilty about spending that much. It took me six months worth of cartoons to pay for her.

oh good god. why did i click on your photo!

i killed a spider about that big in Kenya. it was in my bathroom. the only difference...it wasn't fuzzy. it was that big...just not fuzzy.

maybe i could have sneaked it through customs and sold it on eBay?

dolores haze
01-26-2010, 07:33 AM
I know I should feel guilty about my book habit. But I DON'T!

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:35 AM
I know I should feel guilty about my book habit. But I DON'T!

oh god, no. i can't count that. i'd have weekly buyer's remorse. that's my friday afternoon passion. sneaking them into the house is the hard part.

dolores haze
01-26-2010, 07:36 AM
My hubby has me on a strict budget, which I subvert by buying him lovely, lovely books. I am evil.

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:39 AM
My hubby has me on a strict budget, which I subvert by buying him lovely, lovely books. I am evil.

i cut out groceries.

Wicked
01-26-2010, 07:41 AM
i killed a spider about that big in Kenya. it was in my bathroom. the only difference...it wasn't fuzzy. it was that big...just not fuzzy.

*covers eyes* I did not read that. I did not read that. Lalalalalalala

maybe i could have sneaked it through customs and sold it on eBay?

Ummm . . . you might want to tour your local Kenyan (or any other country's) prison prior to sticking a venomous arachnid down your pants and trying to board a plane. That's my travelers tip for the day. :D

Cranky
01-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I just bought ten skeins of beeeeyooootiful alpaca yarn. TEN. I got them on sale, which was awesome, but still I feel guilty about it. And I will, I suppose, until I have that squishy soft yarn in my hands.

But oh, the guilt. Yes. I haz it. I will alleviate it by making something beautiful for someone else with some of it. :D

I refuse to feel guilty about the three James Ellroy novels I bought. Mostly because I used gift cards to pay most of the cost and I got free shipping. Also, they're research! Yes, really. *pay no attention to the fact that I will get much pleasure out of reading them anyway*

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
*covers eyes* I did not read that. I did not read that. Lalalalalalala

Ummm . . . you might want to tour your local Kenyan (or any other country's) prison prior to sticking a venomous arachnid down your pants and trying to board a plane. That's my travelers tip for the day. :D

I'll file that tip for my next trip. no arachnids in the pants. noted.

Devil Ledbetter
01-26-2010, 07:47 AM
My daughter asked me to redecorate her room, and made most of the style decisions. (Good choices, too.) In keeping with the style, I bought her a new bedroom set and mattress that cost many times over what I'd initially planned to spend. I awoke in the middle of the night in a panic about the expense.

Buyer's remorse dissolved the next morning when I remembered my childhood room, which my mom redecorated when I was a teen. She didn't consult me at all. I was stuck with bright pink walls, rose patterns, cream-colored lace frills and sheer curtains that were useless against the sun coming through the tall, east-facing windows. I need complete dark to sleep, and more importantly, to sleep in. I hated what she did to my room. I felt completely disrespected, yet I had to be outwardly grateful for her efforts.

wittyusernamehere
01-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Until I enlarged that photo, I thought it was a <style></style>Chihuahua!

KTC
01-26-2010, 07:51 AM
My daughter asked me to redecorate her room, and made most of the style decisions. (Good choices, too.) In keeping with the style, I bought her a new bedroom set and mattress that cost many times over what I'd initially planned to spend. I awoke in the middle of the night in a panic about the expense.

Buyer's remorse dissolved the next morning when I remembered my childhood room, which my mom redecorated when I was a teen. She didn't consult me at all. I was stuck with bright pink walls, rose patterns, cream-colored lace frills and sheer curtains that were useless against the sun coming through the tall, east-facing windows. I need complete dark to sleep, and more importantly, to sleep in. I hated what she did to my room. I felt completely disrespected, yet I had to be outwardly grateful for her efforts.

That happened to me once. Came home from being away for the summer and my room was redone...stuff gone...walls different colours. Man, I hated them.

My son is currently picking colours to have his room redone. I will try not to have buyer's remorse when we redo his bedroom. He's growing up...the Toronto Maple Leaf Museum is no longer cutting it.

kayleamay
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
I usually feel guilty before I buy something for myself and will talk myself out of buying unless my husband is standing behind me chanting, "Buy it! Buy it!". I do buy a lot of books and have been recently been placed on book buying probation, but I've never felt guilty about that. I only fret over the big ticket items.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
I usually feel guilty before I buy something for myself and will talk myself out of buying

I'm the same way. I don't spend just a whole lot on myself, so when I see something I want or need, I debate it to death in my head.

"I don't need it." "I should save the money." "There's still life in the old thingy."

More often than not, I walk away without it.

EFCollins
01-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I spend about 7 bucks on myself every three months to cover my gray. Yes, I color my hair. I'm not even thirty and have more gray than my sister, who is ten years older than I. It's my only vanity.

Other than that, you'd almost have to kill me to get me to buy something for myself. If I'm shopping for the kids, though... I could spend until American Express sent me a thank you basket, complete with wine, cheese and chocolate. I don't, of course... but I could. I love to shop for others. For me... coloring my hair and the occasional paperback, and I'm good.

backslashbaby
01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm usually good about the budget, but one item did get through the guilt-anticipation this past week, actually.

A statue of an Asian woman, from an antique store. What is she made of? Can't tell; bone?!? Why is she holding birds of all sorts? Dunno. When did they wear hats like that? Weren't they in The Mikado? But her robes are like nothing I've ever seen.

Where O where did she come from and why? So yeah, I bought her :) Intrigue is an emotion I really, really enjoy. And she's gorgeous.

Fran
01-26-2010, 01:48 PM
I see something I like, then go away and think about it. If I still want it after a few days I'll decide to buy it. And then find it's gone.

kayleamay
01-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I spend about 7 bucks on myself every three months to cover my gray. Yes, I color my hair. I'm not even thirty and have more gray than my sister, who is ten years older than I. It's my only vanity.

Other than that, you'd almost have to kill me to get me to buy something for myself. If I'm shopping for the kids, though... I could spend until American Express sent me a thank you basket, complete with wine, cheese and chocolate. I don't, of course... but I could. I love to shop for others. For me... coloring my hair and the occasional paperback, and I'm good.

I hear ya. I started going white in my mid-twenties. Not gray, cottonball white. It's a bitch to color. Clairol money is money well spent. No guilt there.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Yes, that's exactly it! For other people I can go waaaay out without thinking twice. But for myself? Forget it. Right now I need a bed and some other furniture but I keep talking myself out of it.

Where O where did she come from and why? So yeah, I bought her :) Intrigue is an emotion I really, really enjoy. And she's gorgeous.

Sometimes a piece speaks to you and you know you have to have it.

I bought a beautiful landscape painting some years ago from an elderly man going door to door selling his artwork. At the time, I was a pretty broke college student, yet this one painting...I wanted to climb inside and just keep going. Next thing I know, I'm stuffing my money into his hand. :D

I didn't feel guilty because it was meant to be mine.

KTC
01-26-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm usually good about the budget, but one item did get through the guilt-anticipation this past week, actually.

A statue of an Asian woman, from an antique store. What is she made of? Can't tell; bone?!? Why is she holding birds of all sorts? Dunno. When did they wear hats like that? Weren't they in The Mikado? But her robes are like nothing I've ever seen.

I have why-didn't-I-buy-it remorse over a wooden bust of a Masai woman I DIDN'T buy. The Nairobi National Museum has a room with art in it...and everything has price tags on it. I found it so strange?! But that bust...I hemmed and hawed for 2 weeks. Should I buy it? Shouldn't I? It was about $500/CDN...but it was absolutely beautiful. I wish I had buyer's remorse over that bust. Maybe they sell online???

That Asian woman sounds amazing.

Stew21
01-26-2010, 02:26 PM
i think i hate the why didn't i more than the i did.

KTC
01-26-2010, 02:30 PM
i think i hate the why didn't i more than the i did.

i hate that one too. i'd so love to hop on a plane and get that fabulous bust.

sadron
01-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Lately... pack of valentine fairy cards and stamps. Took my last money.

EFCollins
01-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I hear ya. I started going white in my mid-twenties. Not gray, cottonball white. It's a bitch to color. Clairol money is money well spent. No guilt there.

Mine is a very pretty silver that I'll love... when I'm 45+. I'm 27 and have had gray for more than five years! One doctor told me it was caused by stress on my body from having three kids before I was twenty, but I think it's hereditary. My dad started going silver when he was in his teens. The silver doesn't like to color so well either, and I always look like I've had a highlight job done... but my hair is so dark, if I don't color it sticks out sooo bad. Miss Clairol is my friend. *nodnod*

Yes, that's exactly it! For other people I can go waaaay out without thinking twice. But for myself? Forget it. Right now I need a bed and some other furniture but I keep talking myself out of it.

I need a bed too. The one thing I am extremely active on and I refuse to replace it. It's still standing... so why? :D When it falls apart, I might get another one.

Might.

JimmyB27
01-26-2010, 05:09 PM

I knew a woman who hopped on a plane to get a fabulous bust. Said she could get it cheaper in Kazakhstan.

She had buyers remorse too when they turned out lopsided.

StoryG27
01-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I have buyer's remorse any time I buy something for myself or for the house. Purchasing big ticket items makes me physically ill. When we needed a new (used) car and had to finance (which I HATE), I couldn't even help Hubs do any of it because I do not like spending money, especially money we don't have. Financing is the worst. Worst. When I need new clothes and such, the kids and my husband almost always buy them for me because I'll look around at all the sales and just not be satisfied (thrift stores are another story, fifty cents for this sweater with the $50 price tag still on. . .I'll take it, guilt free). Funny though, between both kids having braces and both playing competitive soccer all year round, we spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars each month on them and I don't feel bad about that. Ten dollars for a new pair of jeans for me, forget about it. *shrug* I think it's a parent thing.

NeuroFizz
01-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Until I enlarged that photo, I thought it was a <STYLE></STYLE>Chihuahua!
Chihuahuas are tarantula snacks.

My remorseful buy? The really expensive and nice winter coat I bought for the ex for Christmas (in the kids' names) which she has planted in the coat closet and hasn't pulled out for a minute despite the cold winter weather.

shyne
01-26-2010, 06:15 PM
*contemplates looking at spouse and saying I can haz refund"

Fran
01-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Mine is a very pretty silver that I'll love... when I'm 45+. I'm 27 and have had gray for more than five years! One doctor told me it was caused by stress on my body from having three kids before I was twenty, but I think it's hereditary. My dad started going silver when he was in his teens. The silver doesn't like to color so well either, and I always look like I've had a highlight job done... but my hair is so dark, if I don't color it sticks out sooo bad. Miss Clairol is my friend. *nodnod*

I'm quite grey too now at 32. But I spend 80-90 (roughly $US120-$US135) every eight weeks to get my hair coloured at the hairdresser. If I had it substantially cut it'd be even more. But I don't have kids or a mortgage or anything; my money's pretty much my own. If it wasn't I'd be 'colour by Schwarzkopff'. :D I don't feel guilty about it - I can't drive so I don't have a car, I don't have expensive hobbies or spend a fortune on clothes, so it's my only big expense. :)

EFCollins
01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Holy shit! A pro color here in my part of the US is only $50! I do have kids and such though, so I don't go to the hairdresser to gt mine done. I think I'd go have a conniption if I spent over a hundred bucks on my hair though. I'm very, very frugal when it comes to me.

quickWit
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I bought an extra kidney just in case.

It's a bit of an extravagance.

KTC
01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
I bought an extra kidney just in case.

It's a bit of an extravagance.

with a bunneh like yoself, i think it's just a matter of time. a wise purchase isn't something you should have remorse over. buy yoself a liver too.

quickWit
01-26-2010, 06:34 PM
with a bunneh like yoself, i think it's just a matter of time. a wise purchase isn't something you should have remorse over. buy yoself a liver too.

Good idea. My pallor has been a tad yellow lately...

kayleamay
witty has a liver <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------this big----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Cella
I don't get buyer's remorse, really...so that must mean that I only make wise purchases, right?

:roll:

Cella
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Holy shit! A pro color here in my part of the US is only $50! I do have kids and such though, so I don't go to the hairdresser to gt mine done. I think I'd go have a conniption if I spent over a hundred bucks on my hair though. I'm very, very frugal when it comes to me.

WTH!?

I'm lucky to have a family member who is an excellent stylists and she lets me pay what I can for my cut, all over highlight and style, but I know she'd charge regulars about $120 or so....but, i have many, many hairs.

quickWit
01-26-2010, 06:38 PM
witty has a liver <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------this big----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

It's as big as my heart, Cupcake.

It's as big as my heart.

aadams73
01-26-2010, 06:39 PM

You must, you must, you must possess that bust.

(And now I feel like I'm 12)

I need a bed too. The one thing I am extremely active on and I refuse to replace it. It's still standing... so why? :D When it falls apart, I might get another one.

Might.

Exactly! I have a perfectly good couch, thankyouverymuch!

(And now I'm going back to work. Really.)

CaroGirl
01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
My elliptical machine. I just wish I felt guilty enough to actually use the damn thing.

Fran
01-26-2010, 06:42 PM

It's possible to get a colour done for around 30 (roughly $US45) but in all likelihood you'd have to pay twice that for someone else to fix the mess they've made. ;)

(PS - That doesn't apply to every single hairdresser of course. But in my experience the 30 colour has never gone well.)

quickWit
01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
You must, you must, you must possess that bust.

(And now I feel like I'm 12)

*feels aadams*

You don't feel 12 to me.

EFCollins
01-26-2010, 06:43 PM
@ Cella: What can I say? WV is cheap. Very cheap.

KTC
01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
My elliptical machine. I just wish I felt guilty enough to actually use the damn thing.

sometimes i feel like i have an ellipses machine. i have remorse when i go through my manuscript and find them laughing at me.

KTC
01-26-2010, 06:48 PM
You must, you must, you must possess that bust. (And now I feel like I'm 12)

I'm seriously considering contacting the museum and asking how much it would cost all in to ship it.

stormie
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
....and I hated that car until the day it died.

I probably need another cup of coffee but I read that as "until the day I died."

Off to get more coffee. I don't like making people dead. And seeing their spirits roam AW.

The thread can continue now. :)

aadams73
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm seriously considering contacting the museum and asking how much it would cost all in to ship it.

Do it. If it's still speaking to you, there's a reason. Maybe it's just meant to be yours.

Lyra Jean
01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Until I enlarged that photo, I thought it was a <style></style>Chihuahua!

Before I enlarged the photo I thought it was a space ship.

Lavern08
01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Never, ever, ever! :Shrug:

KTC
01-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Do it. If it's still speaking to you, there's a reason. Maybe it's just meant to be yours.

ooh. your spurring spurs me!

it is beautiful. her face looks so life-like it's scary...and it's made out of a block of wood! Nails sticking out the top of her head...and a metal bikini top pounded into the shape of the breast. that might sound tacky...but honestly, it's wonderful. unfortunately, it was in one of the rooms where photos were prohibited.

Lyra Jean
01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
For some reason I always feel bad when I buy myself a Dr. Pepper. Maybe it was because at the time I didn't have a job and we were barely keeping up with the bills. Now that I have a job I don't feel so bad.

Except for that time I bought one with my debit card and didn't realize I didn't have enough money. So instead of a $1.50 it cost me $35.00.

Fran
01-26-2010, 08:45 PM
ooh. your spurring spurs me!

it is beautiful. her face looks so life-like it's scary...and it's made out of a block of wood! Nails sticking out the top of her head...and a metal bikini top pounded into the shape of the breast. that might sound tacky...but honestly, it's wonderful. unfortunately, it was in one of the rooms where photos were prohibited.

I think if you've got the money you should just go for it. It sounds to me like you're going to regret it a lot more if you don't than if you have to live on water and toast for a couple of weeks. :)

KTC
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
and that brings us to the reason i started the thread. hehe. i am busy with buyer's remorse over the tremendous canvas covering my great room wall. (-: mayhaps i should wait a couple of months.

aadams73
01-28-2010, 07:38 AM
I have a friend who is trying to convince me to buy her horse. He's an SOB but he's awesome!

But...ARGH! I want that horse. But I do not want that horse. But...but...

Shadow_Ferret
01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
I get buyer's remorse when I buy something that turns out to be crap and is nowhere near what I expected.

I don't get it from buying something I enjoy. I don't even understand why you'd feel remorseful buying something you like.

KTC
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I get buyer's remorse when I buy something that turns out to be crap and is nowhere near what I expected.

I don't get it from buying something I enjoy. I don't even understand why you'd feel remorseful buying something you like.

for me, it's because it's usually a luxury that is not NEEDED. i feel guilty for spending the money on it...when i could be donating the money to a cause or something.

Fran
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
when i could be donating the money to a cause or something.

Okay, this is a bit hypothetical and assuming the artist is alive, but say you decided to buy the sculpture you fell in love with. That's $CDN500 to the artist - how far would that go in the country they live in? That kind of money could do a LOT of good, for the artist and their community. What I'm trying to say is, you COULD be donating to a cause without even knowing you are. The cause may be small and the scope limited, but that doesn't mean it's in vain. You help someone and get something you love.

As I say, hypothetical, but you never know... :)

Shadow_Ferret
01-28-2010, 11:33 PM
for me, it's because it's usually a luxury that is not NEEDED. i feel guilty for spending the money on it...when i could be donating the money to a cause or something.

Spending my money on myself is donating to a cause. Me.

Especially these days.

Chris P
01-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Books, believe it or not. I get NO time to read anymore, but I blew my Christmas B&N gift card on three more books to add to my pile.

Cheesecake and coffee in the cafe area would have caused a different guilt.