Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I haz it.

Don't you hate when you get it.

I have a beautiful new piece of art on my wall...about 4' x 4'. I look at it and love it love it...but feel oh so guilty!

What have you purchased lately that has left you feeling the stab of buyer's remorse?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I bought a lovely little Brachypelma emilia.

I love her dearly, but still feel a bit guilty about spending that much. It took me six months worth of cartoons to pay for her.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My car.

I don't want to talk about it, so please don't bring it up again!

That reminds me of the time I walked into a Jeep dealership and bought a brand new 1992YJ on a whim. I wanted one for ever and I hated that car until the day it died.

Never buy a car on a whim...even a Jeep.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

I love her dearly, but still feel a bit guilty about spending that much. It took me six months worth of cartoons to pay for her.

oh good god. why did i click on your photo!

i killed a spider about that big in Kenya. it was in my bathroom. the only difference...it wasn't fuzzy. it was that big...just not fuzzy.

maybe i could have sneaked it through customs and sold it on eBay?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I know I should feel guilty about my book habit. But I DON'T!

oh god, no. i can't count that. i'd have weekly buyer's remorse. that's my friday afternoon passion. sneaking them into the house is the hard part.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
i killed a spider about that big in Kenya. it was in my bathroom. the only difference...it wasn't fuzzy. it was that big...just not fuzzy.

*covers eyes* I did not read that. I did not read that. Lalalalalalala

maybe i could have sneaked it through customs and sold it on eBay?

Ummm . . . you might want to tour your local Kenyan (or any other country's) prison prior to sticking a venomous arachnid down your pants and trying to board a plane. That's my travelers tip for the day. :D

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just bought ten skeins of beeeeyooootiful alpaca yarn. TEN. I got them on sale, which was awesome, but still I feel guilty about it. And I will, I suppose, until I have that squishy soft yarn in my hands.

But oh, the guilt. Yes. I haz it. I will alleviate it by making something beautiful for someone else with some of it. :D

I refuse to feel guilty about the three James Ellroy novels I bought. Mostly because I used gift cards to pay most of the cost and I got free shipping. Also, they're research! Yes, really. *pay no attention to the fact that I will get much pleasure out of reading them anyway*

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
*covers eyes* I did not read that. I did not read that. Lalalalalalala

Ummm . . . you might want to tour your local Kenyan (or any other country's) prison prior to sticking a venomous arachnid down your pants and trying to board a plane. That's my travelers tip for the day. :D

I'll file that tip for my next trip. no arachnids in the pants. noted.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter asked me to redecorate her room, and made most of the style decisions. (Good choices, too.) In keeping with the style, I bought her a new bedroom set and mattress that cost many times over what I'd initially planned to spend. I awoke in the middle of the night in a panic about the expense.

Buyer's remorse dissolved the next morning when I remembered my childhood room, which my mom redecorated when I was a teen. She didn't consult me at all. I was stuck with bright pink walls, rose patterns, cream-colored lace frills and sheer curtains that were useless against the sun coming through the tall, east-facing windows. I need complete dark to sleep, and more importantly, to sleep in. I hated what she did to my room. I felt completely disrespected, yet I had to be outwardly grateful for her efforts.

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score

Until I enlarged that photo, I thought it was a <style></style>Chihuahua!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My daughter asked me to redecorate her room, and made most of the style decisions. (Good choices, too.) In keeping with the style, I bought her a new bedroom set and mattress that cost many times over what I'd initially planned to spend. I awoke in the middle of the night in a panic about the expense.

Buyer's remorse dissolved the next morning when I remembered my childhood room, which my mom redecorated when I was a teen. She didn't consult me at all. I was stuck with bright pink walls, rose patterns, cream-colored lace frills and sheer curtains that were useless against the sun coming through the tall, east-facing windows. I need complete dark to sleep, and more importantly, to sleep in. I hated what she did to my room. I felt completely disrespected, yet I had to be outwardly grateful for her efforts.

That happened to me once. Came home from being away for the summer and my room was redone...stuff gone...walls different colours. Man, I hated them.

My son is currently picking colours to have his room redone. I will try not to have buyer's remorse when we redo his bedroom. He's growing up...the Toronto Maple Leaf Museum is no longer cutting it.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually feel guilty before I buy something for myself and will talk myself out of buying unless my husband is standing behind me chanting, "Buy it! Buy it!". I do buy a lot of books and have been recently been placed on book buying probation, but I've never felt guilty about that. I only fret over the big ticket items.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I usually feel guilty before I buy something for myself and will talk myself out of buying

I'm the same way. I don't spend just a whole lot on myself, so when I see something I want or need, I debate it to death in my head.

"I don't need it." "I should save the money." "There's still life in the old thingy."

More often than not, I walk away without it.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
I spend about 7 bucks on myself every three months to cover my gray. Yes, I color my hair. I'm not even thirty and have more gray than my sister, who is ten years older than I. It's my only vanity.

Other than that, you'd almost have to kill me to get me to buy something for myself. If I'm shopping for the kids, though... I could spend until American Express sent me a thank you basket, complete with wine, cheese and chocolate. I don't, of course... but I could. I love to shop for others. For me... coloring my hair and the occasional paperback, and I'm good.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually good about the budget, but one item did get through the guilt-anticipation this past week, actually.

A statue of an Asian woman, from an antique store. What is she made of? Can't tell; bone?!? Why is she holding birds of all sorts? Dunno. When did they wear hats like that? Weren't they in The Mikado? But her robes are like nothing I've ever seen.

Where O where did she come from and why? So yeah, I bought her :) Intrigue is an emotion I really, really enjoy. And she's gorgeous.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I see something I like, then go away and think about it. If I still want it after a few days I'll decide to buy it. And then find it's gone.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spend about 7 bucks on myself every three months to cover my gray. Yes, I color my hair. I'm not even thirty and have more gray than my sister, who is ten years older than I. It's my only vanity.

Other than that, you'd almost have to kill me to get me to buy something for myself. If I'm shopping for the kids, though... I could spend until American Express sent me a thank you basket, complete with wine, cheese and chocolate. I don't, of course... but I could. I love to shop for others. For me... coloring my hair and the occasional paperback, and I'm good.

I hear ya. I started going white in my mid-twenties. Not gray, cottonball white. It's a bitch to color. Clairol money is money well spent. No guilt there.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, that's exactly it! For other people I can go waaaay out without thinking twice. But for myself? Forget it. Right now I need a bed and some other furniture but I keep talking myself out of it.

Where O where did she come from and why? So yeah, I bought her :) Intrigue is an emotion I really, really enjoy. And she's gorgeous.

Sometimes a piece speaks to you and you know you have to have it.

I bought a beautiful landscape painting some years ago from an elderly man going door to door selling his artwork. At the time, I was a pretty broke college student, yet this one painting...I wanted to climb inside and just keep going. Next thing I know, I'm stuffing my money into his hand. :D

I didn't feel guilty because it was meant to be mine.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm usually good about the budget, but one item did get through the guilt-anticipation this past week, actually.

A statue of an Asian woman, from an antique store. What is she made of? Can't tell; bone?!? Why is she holding birds of all sorts? Dunno. When did they wear hats like that? Weren't they in The Mikado? But her robes are like nothing I've ever seen.

I have why-didn't-I-buy-it remorse over a wooden bust of a Masai woman I DIDN'T buy. The Nairobi National Museum has a room with art in it...and everything has price tags on it. I found it so strange?! But that bust...I hemmed and hawed for 2 weeks. Should I buy it? Shouldn't I? It was about $500/CDN...but it was absolutely beautiful. I wish I had buyer's remorse over that bust. Maybe they sell online???

That Asian woman sounds amazing.